Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tips for making DEN to BCN flight with wife/kiddos as pleasant as possible?

Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:25 am
Original Poster

All of my past international flying has been done solo with just carry-ons and I'm trying to make this trip as stress-free as possible. Our tickets are Economy Class and from what I've gathered from the BA website we'll each be allowed a (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in) 51lb checked bag and a Cabin Bag (up to 22 x 18 x 10in.) and a car seat for each of our kids. Is this correct?

Our inbound flight connects in LHR at Terminal 3 and we have a 4 hour layover. I have a Priority Pass Select card that I got when signing up for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and see there's 2 lounges in Terminal 3 I can access (Club Aspire & No1)....is one better than the other? Does being on an international flight preclude us from wandering around other Terminals? Will the Cabin Bag be of the same size limit on the flight from LHR to BCN?

On our return flight we have a 5 hour layover in MIA. Not sure exactly what Terminal we arrive at, but wondering what Lounge would be recommended or any other good ways to spend the 5 hours?

Any other tips or things I'm forgetting?

Cheers!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:36 am

There is no 'wandering around' airside between terminals at LHR (at least not since T1 was closed) and you certainly don't want the faff of going landside with your kids, so just go through Flight Connections and stick in T3. No passport control, but you'll have to go through security so be aware of the liquid rules.

I haven't tried the PP lounges in T3 but both the Aspire and No1 are apparently pretty good. You can find reviews of both (and indeed all other UK paid lounges) over on headforpoints: https://www.headforpoints.com/2016/1...ow-terminal-3/. (My experiences of No1 at LGW and Aspire at LTN are also very good.)

Cabin baggage limits will be the same for the flight to BCN, but there is a very good chance your bags will be checked at the gate if the flight is busy. With young kids you should be first to board though so that may help.

I don't know about PP lounge options at MIA. BA uses concourse E but presumably you are travelling onwards with AA.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How many kids and what ages? Some airlines have rules about a maximum number of small children per adult. [Your mention of each kid's carseat is making me think of octomom flying on a USA carrier.]
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’d also point the OP towards our very own, and nearly brand new, lounge forum. This already has a very extensive section on all the LHR third party lounges, including facilities, costs and accepted cards.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges-763/
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
There is no 'wandering around' airside between terminals at LHR (at least not since T1 was closed) and you certainly don't want the faff of going landside with your kids, so just go through Flight Connections and stick in T3. No passport control, but you'll have to go through security so be aware of the liquid rules.

I haven't tried the PP lounges in T3 but both the Aspire and No1 are apparently pretty good. You can find reviews of both (and indeed all other UK paid lounges) over on headforpoints: https://www.headforpoints.com/2016/1...ow-terminal-3/. (My experiences of No1 at LGW and Aspire at LTN are also very good.)

Cabin baggage limits will be the same for the flight to BCN, but there is a very good chance your bags will be checked at the gate if the flight is busy. With young kids you should be first to board though so that may help.

I don't know about PP lounge options at MIA. BA uses concourse E but presumably you are travelling onwards with AA.
We'll have to go through security at LHR even if we don't leave Terminal 3?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many kids and what ages? Some airlines have rules about a maximum number of small children per adult. [Your mention of each kid's carseat is making me think of octomom flying on a USA carrier.]
Just 2 kiddos both with booster seats and paid tickets.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by gearhound
Yes, you have to go through transit security at LHR no matter what.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:22 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by gearhound
Yes, correct - in exactly the same way as youd have to go through security in the US if arriving internationally (other than from countries with pre-clearance facilities).

The UK has its own, arguably more stringent, security procedures and does not trust or validate those from any other country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.