Infant twins in CW 777

Old Feb 5, 18, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Infant twins in CW 777

My wife and I have twins who will be 11 months old when we take a family holiday in Florida later this year year. We're booked on the bucket-and-spade LGW-MCO which is a 3-class 772.

When trying to select seats, I notice that we are unable to take the E/F positions in rows 4 or 11 (where single bassinets are located). This is because there are apparently only 5 oxygen masks for the 4 seats. This leaves us with the following options:
1. We each take a bassinet (4E and 11E) - not ideal.
2. We take one bassinet, say 4E, then the other person sits in 4B. (They we just hope nobody sits in 4D!)
3. Any other options that I'm missing?

I also have the option of going in and out on the 747 to MIA (which I think is a 70J config) but don't know if this would be any better?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 18, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
We took our son to Puj in December, slightly older admittedly at 14 months, we had 4E/F.

The bassinet wasnt really much use as he he wouldn’t settle in it and also having to take him in and out for turbulence etc.

He he ended up sleeping on my wife all the way back (night flight). Obviously a second child adds additional complexity, personally I’d say you should be ok with just the one bassinet.

We found the space in front of the seats far more useful that the bassinet for him to stand around in on the way out, although I believe the cabin crew should frown on that sort of thing.
Old Feb 5, 18, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just read the predicament correctly I’d book 4E/4b and hope they’d surely do something as if someone does get 4d they’d have a poor experience with the bassinet being there and being unable to get out easily (but then again this is BA we’re talkkgn about).
Old Feb 5, 18, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have twins. I'd take the bassinets over a lap child anytime and have previously split up on upper/lower deck of a 747. Mine had no problem using the bassinet / the brittax seat (for slightly older infants). Just make sure each of you carries the extra supplies you need for the flight - food/nappies/wipes/spare clothes etc.

That said, I'd chose Miami over Orlando with kids that age. The gulf coast - Captiva / Sanibel - is an easy drive from Miami and is lovely (South Seas on Captiva is great as it is an apartment style hotel). But if its just a bucket and spade trip Tenerife or Dubai will be much easier than coping with jet lagged babies.
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
A bit of a tricky one to me, if there are only 5 oxygen masks in a row then perhaps you shouldn't have both babies with one parent at all since if one parent is away while the other is holding both babies there could be insufficient enough oxygen masks for 4 adults + 2 babies in one row. So sitting in separate groups of seats (rows or across aisles might be better.

Can any of the professional crew comment on whether this is a problem, or if in practice it's OK to have more people than oxygen masks in a row in-flight for a while (if not at takeoff and landing) ?
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post
My wife and I have twins who will be 11 months old when we take a family holiday in Florida later this year year. We're booked on the bucket-and-spade LGW-MCO which is a 3-class 772.

When trying to select seats, I notice that we are unable to take the E/F positions in rows 4 or 11 (where single bassinets are located). This is because there are apparently only 5 oxygen masks for the 4 seats. This leaves us with the following options:
2. We take one bassinet, say 4E, then the other person sits in 4B. (They we just hope nobody sits in 4D!)

I also have the option of going in and out on the 747 to MIA (which I think is a 70J config) but don't know if this would be any better?

Thanks.
The 2nd option is probably your best bet, as at least you'll all be close to each other. However, even if 4D remains vacant, you are still not permitted to move an infant there with an adult. You can't have 6 people in a row where there are 5 masks; the crew won't allow it and it's not going to end well in the event of a decompression.
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post

Thanks.
The 70J has gone I'm afraid - the 747 on this route has the following configuration :

British Airways B747-400 14F/52J/36W/235Y Seat Map
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Would you not be better off with 3 seats in WT+ instead?

Or even 3 WT seats outbound (you get the block of 3 in the middle so good access from either side) and 3 CW on the overnight home?
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:55 am

You will not be permitted to have 2 infants in row 4 with 2 adults. It is a requirement to have 1 oxygen mask for each passenger. You run the risk of being downgraded if BA sell all CW seats. Go for 4E and 11E.

Unless you purchase an extra seat to keep empty/put one of the infants on, you will not be able to sit together due to oxygen mask requirements.

Just wait til their 14 and find out about FT, and you end up shelling out for 4 F seats

Search this Thread
Search Engine: