Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question on BA vs AA & advice in Dubai flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Hi guys

Long time lurker here, so please excuse the lengthy first post. I couldn’t see an introduction thread, so a very quick intro here and then a question. I work for a software company and have a team based in Europe and the Nordics, so I fly a reasonable amount (around 50 times a year for the last couple of years). Most of these are short haul and (being a good corporate citizen!) are economy (is it Euro Traveller that BA calls this these days?!). However, through upgrading flights with Avios (and use of a BA Amex card to accumulate Avios), I’ve been Gold for the last couple of years. I do like the First Wing at Heathrow, so almost exclusively I’ll fly BA, mainly because I find T5 about as good an airport experience as I’ve found, and I’ve very rarely had any major travel disruptions. The inflight service is variable (from the superb to the frosty) but in my experience, the good outweighs the average or poor.

I rarely fly fly long haul, but will be doing so twice in the next 6-8 weeks. Firstly to Dubai, and then a second (separate) trip to San Diego. Obviously I’d like to maximise my comfort on both trips, not least because I’m 6ft 6 tall, and planes aren’t designed for people of my height! Due to duration of flights, travel policy will enable me to book World Traveller Plus (or Premium Economy) for both of these trips.

My question is this: on the last couple of trips to the US, when I’ve booked a BA flight via the BA website, I’ve ended up in the seats I booked (usually emergency exit seats in economy). However when I’ve booked AA flights, I’ve instantly been upgraded from economy to Premium Economy automatically (presumably due to Gold status?) at no extra cost. It always seemed strange that my “home” airline never upgraded me, but a partner did, but I’ve always been very grateful and never really questioned it. I’ve no idea whether I was just lucky, or whether there is a policy in place on AA?

So, my broad question is what’s the best experience I’ll get with my status/Avios? Logically I’d book BA WT+ and try to upgrade via Avios, but would I be better off booking AA economy (for San Diego) and hoping for an automatic upgrade? Is there any way of seeing/working out how likely that would be? If I book WT+ on BA is there any way of working out the likelihood of upgrading to Business (either paid/Avios or free)? For Dubai, would I just be better off booking another airline and sacrificing tier points (I flew there several years ago on Emirates and was impressed), or again is there a smarter way of booking on BA?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, and apologies for all th questions on a first post - I look forward to contributing in the future.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tredders
on the last couple of trips to the US, when I’ve booked a BA flight via the BA website, I’ve ended up in the seats I booked (usually emergency exit seats in economy). However when I’ve booked AA flights, I’ve instantly been upgraded from economy to Premium Economy automatically (presumably due to Gold status?) at no extra cost.
Are you getting upgraded to Premium Economy which are offered on very few AA planes (think the 787's and some 777's atm), or just getting Main Cabin Extra?
Given the limited timeframes, if I were booking, I'd take a look at the seat availability on both airlines; and choose based on availability in WT+ / AA MCE, vs. Pricing.

Always expect to fly in the cabin you book, and if you get upgraded; take it as a stroke of luck.
Tredders likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:48 am

As above, I think you've just been getting MCE seating on AA which is available automatically to BA Gold members. It's the exact same seat and service as economy, but with significantly better legroom.

I'd favour any WT+ over MCE (yes, I even like the old WT+!) and of course you'll get more TPs than in economy (and MCE is still economy in that regard). But if PE is offered by AA on the routes you need, then it's a closer call. I haven't tried AA's PE product. I think I'd just go based on timing and price - I quite like AA, and these days I quite like BA. So no strong views either way if we're talking the same class of travel.
Tredders likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks both. I booked BA WT+ both legs. Aisle seat on the way out, and exit seat on the way back.

Now on to Dubai...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.