Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LinkedIn search by "Flight Crew"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:54 pm

On a TP run last year, in F on LAX-JFK A321 - thanks to all on flyertalk for making this happen - the AA CSD equivalent came for a very detailed chat with my friend and I. She said that she usually googled her pax before a trip as there were usually some interesting connections. In our case, my friend had the same name as a 16th century Lord who was beheaded, so she acted the part during the whole trip, referring to him as Lord the whole way and curtseying before serving him. Although slightly weird, I guess that she could tell we were OK with the banter and had a long discussion about social media footprints etc. I do wonder what anyone peeking through the curtain from the back of the plane would have thought of the airborne theatre up front.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Keith009
We arrived at our villa and found my Facebook profile picture in a nice little photo frame
Full post here.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Congratulations. You've made it to my personal top ten list of nonsense threads.
Congrats to you. You have just made it it to my top 10 most pointless responses.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA, QF, Avis, Marriott
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Just a point of pedantry, and I know you indicated them as examples, but both these domains are actually registered so in doing this you are possibly inflicting on others the fate you hope to avoid.

No issue on your general approach but maybe better to stick to domains that are specifically set aside as non-registerable, e.g. [email protected]?
Why? If the domain does exist but the email account does not (which it wouldn't), if they then try to send an email to the address all that will happen is that the STMP server would return a rejected email address response. There is no 'inflicting' on anyone, as the server owner would never even know (unless the server Administrator went looking through server logs, but why would they ever do that? With bots all over the internet randomly generating email addresses on domains to spam, there are likely to be literally thousands of rejected incoming emails on any domain in a single day)

Rejecting one email is hardly a taxing job for the server.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by evanstim
Why? If the domain does exist but the email account does not (which it wouldn't)
Maybe not, although there may be a catchall. Ultimately though, we can only guess at how the owners of a domain will configure it and as such I would personally avoid a domain that belonged to someone else. But some may see that as unnecessarily cautious. Fair enough....

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Slighty OT but I have a tertiary email address (which does not include any part of my name) that I use for when I am asked for an email address to use wifi.
For free WiFi logins I always use Ron Jeremy’s address
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Just a point of pedantry, and I know you indicated them as examples, but both these domains are actually registered so in doing this you are possibly inflicting on others the fate you hope to avoid.
...which is why I normally use [email protected] :lol:

As for names for the airport WiFi, I'm steadily making my way through the wikipedia list of serial killers.
solewalker likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm not sure we share the same idea as to what is 'good'. Personally I prefer not to have to reveal my identity to every company that wants it but has no need for it.
it’s probably a Bot.
I seem to have a Hilton one that keeps emailing me about my recent website log-in issues which it claims I’ve emailed Hilton about. (which I have not had). I did reply at first but it’s replies seemed to bare no reference to what I was writing, so I gave up
Old Apr 17, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Interestingly, someone from BA just linkedin viewed my profile: "Account Manager - British Airways Media" ... wonder what I did wrong!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Funnily enough this morning I had a Corporate Account Manager from BA look at my LinkedIn profile!
TPRun likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
This has given me the excellent idea of inventing a company, sticking myself on linkedin and giving myself the title of Budget Controller of Overseas Travel (budgetary responsibility approx Ł15m pa).

I smell prem in my future!
rapidex and Calchas like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman
This has given me the excellent idea of inventing a company, sticking myself on linkedin and giving myself the title of Budget Controller of Overseas Travel (budgetary responsibility approx Ł15m pa).

I smell prem in my future!
I think you might have to shell out some cold, hard cash to swing that one
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Internet/social media "look up" of customers seems increasingly frequent though not specifically on BA. Here are three examples from recent months, one of which involved a BA cabin crew, one an AA one and one an AF one, but I won't mention which is which to avoid anyone running into trouble.

- Cabin crew looking up to send me an email to thank me for a letter I wrote to the airline to highlight the quality of the service of two crew members and mention that some particular things that they did during the flight was, in my view, an outstanding example of best practice. Apparently message made it all the way to the top (not what I expected) and the two apparently received some fairly insistent praise internally, he apologised for looking my email up but said he wanted to thank me personally for the detailed and positive feedback (I actually bumped into the other one on another flight who was profuse with thanks and even had tears in her eyes!) - very nice.

- Cabin crew referring to my work and a recent 'milestone' of it and saying that when she found out, she wrote to her father in law who knows my work and is (she said) an admirer of it. Well intended but weird.

- Friend of mine getting a Facebook PM after a flight telling her that she is very pretty and would she like to meet up some time. Outright creepy.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
On a TP run last year, in F on LAX-JFK A321 - thanks to all on flyertalk for making this happen - the AA CSD equivalent came for a very detailed chat with my friend and I. She said that she usually googled her pax before a trip as there were usually some interesting connections. In our case, my friend had the same name as a 16th century Lord who was beheaded, so she acted the part during the whole trip, referring to him as Lord the whole way and curtseying before serving him. Although slightly weird, I guess that she could tell we were OK with the banter and had a long discussion about social media footprints etc. I do wonder what anyone peeking through the curtain from the back of the plane would have thought of the airborne theatre up front.
At what point did she try to behead your friend?
Insulator-King and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This all strikes me as rather creepy. Part of the joy of travel is the anonymity.
megaloman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.