Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help needed left iPad on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by IThink
The cleaners should be searched before they get on and after as well.
That a bit extreme to say the least. I’m sure that most of the cleaners are honest and hand in any lost property.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SteveF

That a bit extreme to say the least. I’m sure that most of the cleaners are honest and hand in any lost property.

Indeed and I credit the OP for not jumping to the oft made deduction that the cleaners must have stolen it and if it wasn't them then it was cabin crew. The cleaners will have had background checks to even get their jobs, go through security every day and no doubt are also subject to random checks as well.

BA hand over lost property to airport lost property services and calling will mean you get told ' contact the airport'

Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:26 am

If it's locked it's worthless to anyone but you. I'd try to activate find my iPad and see what turns up.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
It is locked, it is in the magazine rack between the BA mags. I'm sure someone sitting in the seat will alert the cabin crew. I've no data on it *changing Netflix and Kindle passwords. NO company data on it. Always wipe it between flights so I have the latest data.and only data required of each specific trip.

On flight mode so not sure if find my ipad will work. I'm also going to the Airport hotel on Wed so will inquire about it there in case it hadn't been logged in the china airport before I turned the taxi around. BA Gold line already alerted.

At the end of the day. If you fly a lot and are jetlagged, it is a hazard of the job. This occasion lack of sleep and people barging past as I was getting ready. But not blaming them, just a reason for my distraction. I is ALL my fault. But that's life. :-)

THanks for all the advice.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Him Indoors left his Ipad on a recent LHR - BLQ. It was a night stop flight so the aircraft was not cleaned until the next morning. The return left at about 7.30 - we had made the discovery once we had reached our hotel and it was then too late to do anything about it. We drove back to the airport (it was not far) and were told that the office opened at 9.00am. We went along and before we had said Ipad - they knew. It had been found, but taken to an office and locked. They asked us to come back about 30 mins late which we did and there it was. I was most impressed by the service and the pleasantness of the people working there.

That is of no solace or condolence to you but just to say that we can all do it. A moment's inadvertence and you forget. The flummox that call himself my husband had, for reasons best known to him, put it under the tray between the seats in CE. I will give him this, he has never lost the same thing twice. We just go on losing different things. Variety, they say, is the spice of life.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
This isn’t going to help the OP (apologies) but it’s a good idea to take a photo of a piece of paper (or do it electronically if you prefer) with a “if found, please contact [email protected]” message (plus telephone number, etc.) and set that as the background for the lock screen. Use a non-corporate email address for confidentiality if you prefer.
Then even if you have a PIN enabled, the finder can see the message.

(You can also use some nail varnish or similar to write the details on the back of the machine if you don’t mind the obvious side effects, and be careful of it chipping off. In extremis, a dremel or similar engraving tool would be pretty indelible.)
Stez likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
It is locked, it is in the magazine rack between the BA mags. I'm sure someone sitting in the seat will alert the cabin crew. I've no data on it *changing Netflix and Kindle passwords. NO company data on it. Always wipe it between flights so I have the latest data.and only data required of each specific trip.

On flight mode so not sure if find my ipad will work. I'm also going to the Airport hotel on Wed so will inquire about it there in case it hadn't been logged in the china airport before I turned the taxi around. BA Gold line already alerted.

At the end of the day. If you fly a lot and are jetlagged, it is a hazard of the job. This occasion lack of sleep and people barging past as I was getting ready. But not blaming them, just a reason for my distraction. I is ALL my fault. But that's life. :-)

THanks for all the advice.
Cleaners are supposed to take all magazines out, check for discrepancies and rearrange them. It you left it on the aircraft, the first cleaning team would have found it. It will end up in a lost property office, the question is which one.

I left an iPad on a flight from LHR-PEK via VIE. Was picked up and handed into lost property in VIE, I exchanged emails with the LP Office on the VIE-PEK flight and it was airborne headed to PEK before I even landed. Picking it up from PEK was an adventure, but I got it eventually.

Best of luck.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would hope that wherever you left it around your seat that it would have been found. Otherwise the airline has a serious security problem The cleaners should be searched before they get on and after as well.
Why accuse the cleaners? Just because they are low-wage and doing a thankless job does not make them thieves.

What about other passengers and cabin crew? Perhaps they ought to be searched and required to produce receipts for anything of value they wish to cart off the aircraft.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
[QUOTE Why accuse the cleaners? Just because they are low-wage and doing a thankless job does not make them thieves.
][/QUOTE]

Indeed. My wife used to work as a chamber maid in a hotel and was once accused of stealing a hairdryer. Her reaction was " why would I steal a cheap thing like that when my own is far better"

She is, without doubt, the most honest person I have ever met.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
All baggage in the cabin must be removed when the owner leaves for security - BA have a process in place that delays departure when passengers offload before takeoff to ensure that nothing is left behind. Likewise, during turnarounds the plane is checked to make sure items haven't been left behind.

You can imagine the risks that security are trying to minimise by making people turn on ipads and laptops at the airport, so it's not great that you can leave them onboard by mistake (but if you're realistic you recognise that duct taping a black laptop to the cabin wall underneath a seat is never going to be identified unless you make crew get on their hands and knees with a torch).
Of course none of that makes it a "serious security problem". Unless of course the screening undertaken for the original flight was insufficient, in which case there is more to worry about than a mislaid iPad.

I took about 80 flights last year and never once was asked to turn my laptop or iPad on, so I am not sure what relevance that is either.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I took about 80 flights last year and never once was asked to turn my laptop or iPad on, so I am not sure what relevance that is either.
Sorry if I was unclear. There's a worry that people will use the battery and internal space of electronics to make an explosive device that will look fairly normal on an x-ray scanner, so security now have a rule that you must be able to power the device on to show it's a working ipad / laptop and not a bomb.
The rate at which they actually make people turn on their electronics is pretty tiny, so there is a risk that these fake electronics can get on board.
British Airways has tight security rules to make sure that people can't leave property on a plane, either by making people identify their hand luggage when a nearby passenger offloads before take-off, or by having a security sweep between flights.
Presumably the fact that the iPad wasn't discovered and taken off the plane is what IThink was referring to as a security problem.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:31 am

I just put my iPad in flight mode and tried to find it using my iPhone. Basically the message I got was the iPad was "offline" --So, I guess "Find my iPad" won't work!--This IS disconcerting since you can place it in flight mode from a locked screen!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by NeverFirst
This isn’t going to help the OP (apologies) but it’s a good idea to take a photo of a piece of paper (or do it electronically if you prefer) with a “if found, please contact [email protected]” message (plus telephone number, etc.) and set that as the background for the lock screen. Use a non-corporate email address for confidentiality if you prefer.
Then even if you have a PIN enabled, the finder can see the message.
That's exactly what I've done on both my iPad and iPhone; i.e. created a background wallpaper that has email and phone number. And, yes, of course, for the iPhone, I specified a VOIP phone number (e.g. Google Voice) instead of the cell phone number itself
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Sorry if I was unclear. There's a worry that people will use the battery and internal space of electronics to make an explosive device that will look fairly normal on an x-ray scanner, so security now have a rule that you must be able to power the device on to show it's a working ipad / laptop and not a bomb.
The rate at which they actually make people turn on their electronics is pretty tiny, so there is a risk that these fake electronics can get on board.
British Airways has tight security rules to make sure that people can't leave property on a plane, either by making people identify their hand luggage when a nearby passenger offloads before take-off, or by having a security sweep between flights.
Presumably the fact that the iPad wasn't discovered and taken off the plane is what IThink was referring to as a security problem.
I'm still baffled. This is a security rule? That was applied exactly zero times in 80 flights? Indeed never in my experience. The risk must be infinitesimally small or you can be sure it would be rigorously applied in UK airports.

I understand that BA has security procedures, however I don't accept that an iPad that has been through screening like this one did is a "serious security risk". If that was the case planes would need to be stripped out between flights, anyone could for example wedge an iphone under the seat with the lifevest or similar and some sort of manual identification of belongings would not pick it up.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by SteveF
The cleaners should be searched before they get on and after as well.
A Lufthansa FA told me that crews in Frankfurt are searched. I had been telling her how frustrated I was at myself for leaving my mobile phone on the inbound flight, and she was confident I'd get it back because the crews are checked to make sure anything that is found, is turned in. I did get my phone back, by the way, and I like to think it was an honest cleaner... But can't be 100% sure if that honesty was due to the policy of being searched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.