Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Idea: Replace Club World LCY with LHR-JFK "Club Concorde"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Idea: Replace Club World LCY with LHR-JFK "Club Concorde"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I thought this service was primarily the “Barclays shuttle” and that a certain number of seats were guaranteed (to be purchased) once upon a time. I’m not sure if that is still the case, but I sense those days are over. Further, I would agree that Crossrail is likely to hurt it.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Well, they've got a LBA slot coming up at LHR they could always use

I know it's been discussed before, but is there no routing that could actually fill the plane out of LHR? i.e. something Swiss for example with a lot of medical or banking related traffic

The Concorde branding would definitely have more credence should Concorde actually be flying. To me, the name really doesn't work well these days and should in itself be rebranded.
Calchas likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think your suggestions are very good (I highlight the fact it's not your suggestion to go via LGA) for two particular reasons, namely for a relatively low cost it would allow BA to highlight the service's existence: even I sometimes forget about its existence - the distinctiveness of the service will be a highlight rather than something forgotten. The other reason is that when it's a 50/50 call the extra service, Avios and TPs may swing a bit of trade its way, and it only needs a handful to be so persuaded. I think the heritage painting stuff won't do that much, but if BA1 users get the First amenity bag, First level food and drink then that will encourage the affluent couples. They could also tidy up the SNN ground operation a bit, e.g. by having agents feed passengers through Immigration on both sides and looking after them at the gate a bit more.
But are you not ignoring OP’s primary point that the service should go from LHR? I think that’s the one at least orbitmic and I take issue with.

The other points are certainly valid suggestions to increase the popularity of the LCY service. Although it must be noted that BA made a conscious decision to reduce the TPs, presumably having put a modicum of thought into it (albeit perhaps no more than that).

I echo you in welcoming APUBleed to the forum of course.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
But are you not ignoring OP’s primary point that the service should go from LHR? I think that’s the one at least orbitmic and I take issue with.
Well actually I don't want it to leave LCY since it does give an alternative to those of us who use EDI and GLA. There are many such BACF connections which have also not been properly marketed/exploited, so yes I wiouldn't want that to change.

Originally Posted by Nicksta
. Further, I would agree that Crossrail is likely to hurt it.
LCY management have finally woken up to the craziness of Crossrail passing directly underneath LCY and no station being provided at LCY. In the medium term I suspect there will be a Silvertown station built, which would provide good connectivity for many. LCY have offered to pay for at least some of it.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
LCY management have finally woken up to the craziness of Crossrail passing directly underneath LCY and no station being provided at LCY.
Craziness is very much the right word! I'm still puzzled an airport whose managers actually have a pretty good track record at embracing and even creating opportunities let that happen. Bizarre.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:13 am

Well actually I don't want it to leave LCY since it does give an alternative to those of us who use EDI and GLA. There are many such BACF connections which have also not been properly marketed/exploited
Perhaps, but I suspect there aren't that many people willing to pay a real premium to go from EDI/GLA to NYC via LCY and SNN, rather than on one of the direct services. Granted only the UA service runs in winter, but then winter is also not the best time to be connecting at LCY...
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I’d also think any extension would favour a US airline ahead of a foreign one.
Very good point! ^

Seriously?
well, probably not tbh. Getting to LCY is a pain in the ... and frankly I'd rather just UUA to F. I still think the BA1 service is good and I would like to take it more often but flying in to lhr, staying in London (can't think of a dump I'd rather less overnight in), only to get up at 8 in the morning so I can catch BA1 and get pre clearance. Yea, I'll just take F actually, it's probably more time efficient for more arrivals at JFK anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Calum
well, probably not tbh. Getting to LCY is a pain in the ... and frankly I'd rather just UUA to F. I still think the BA1 service is good and I would like to take it more often but flying in to lhr, staying in London (can't think of a dump I'd rather less overnight in), only to get up at 8 in the morning so I can catch BA1 and get pre clearance. Yea, I'll just take F actually, it's probably more time efficient for more arrivals at JFK anyway.
I wasn't questioning that you personally might be swung to take BA1 for the F TPs - they would swing me too!

But if BA really "knew they could fix it quickly if they put the TPs back up", as you suggest, then I think they would have applied that fix.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:26 am

Seriously?
I wasn't questioning that you personally might be swung to take BA1 for the F TPs - they would swing me too!

But if BA really "knew they could fix it quickly if they put the TPs back up", as you suggest, then I think they would have applied that fix.
i honesty don't think BA care about BA1, to be honest the operating costs are probably too high anyway and I think they are probably gagging for an excuse to cut it. I'm not a betting man but if I was... BA1 with 210 TP's, at least 4 or 5 extra passengers. Just saying.

For the purposes of BBC levels of impartiality, I'm booking a GLA-LCY-JFK rtn right now. I completely forgot I could get to lcy without a night stop now. Who knows, this thread might have just saved BA1.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:30 am

As I said earlier, the cheap HNL runs probably filled quite a few seats on this route. When they went, it became easier for a lot of us to go via LHR with more rotations, lounges and UUA opportunities. The 210TP to 140TP did dampen things somewhat but then again, so did AA reducing earnings and removing more of the lucrative routings.
If there were still Ł1100 / 920TP runs going ex-DUB, I would happily go on BA1 as it is a nice aircraft an makes a change from a boring 777, although maybe not as good as the UD on a 747. Adding the SNN stop wouldn't add that much more time than if I started in GOT for example.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
And conversely, wouldn’t calling it ‘club concorde’ really weird? Concorde was all about speed, not about slowing things down.
That was true in the old SSC days. Now it's all about a slow dining service
Calchas likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
As someone who flies the service fortnightly I would obviously not like to see it go.

The best way to increase viability would maybe be to cut one of the quieter mid-week rotations. The Sunday night JFK-LCY is always full, and my Thurs/Fri daytime generally 14-20 passengers. I would say also that the vast majority are point-to-point, as is evident from talking to people/crew, the number of sedans waiting outside, and the number of people who are on the same return flight a few days later.

I think TPs are a moot point, would those who go out of their way for extra TPs be those who pay a 'normal' UK-originating fare? Probably not judging by this forum. If you cannot see why LCY is a great benefit then it's probably not the service for you! The aircraft is serving a particular market, and it's serving it well. If you are trying to fit into this market, or making this market fit to you, then you're going to find issues.

The only legitimate issue with the service is the lack of gate lounge at LCY for those who actually do arrive early for the flight, and maybe having some juice etc at Shannon (both service cuts), but otherwise, it's fine.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by ShuttleRunner
I think TPs are a moot point, would those who go out of their way for extra TPs be those who pay a 'normal' UK-originating fare? Probably not judging by this forum. If you cannot see why LCY is a great benefit then it's probably not the service for you! The aircraft is serving a particular market, and it's serving it well. If you are trying to fit into this market, or making this market fit to you, then you're going to find issues.
Well, it may suit you and a particular market but it doesn't seem that that is quite enough.
It's going downhill unfortunately. Either they need to adapt or lose it as with various factors in play, there just isn't the demand to support the odd fuller flight.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by xenole
Well, it may suit you and a particular market but it doesn't seem that that is quite enough.
It's going downhill unfortunately. Either they need to adapt or lose it as with various factors in play, there just isn't the demand to support the odd fuller flight.
Where is this stemming from? I'm not trying to have a go but do you have numbers that support this? Because something is not profitable financially it doesn't mean it's not profitable reputationally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.