Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total silence from the flight deck

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by internetplumber
Some of my favourites are on go-arounds. Coming into, then climbing rapidly away from, SFO once, the pilot commented that air traffic control had made a "bit of a c*ck-up of that one", which I thought was rather frank.
I'm pretty relaxed about flying, but I can imagine that would make those of a nervous disposition somewhat more uncomfortable…
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The Concorde ones were great. Real pride in the plane and its capabilities, and pilots keen to tell the slf.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by rossmacd
The mantra is (in this order):

Aviate
Navigate
Communicate

Communication comes much lower down on the priority list.
Even when the ...

Originally Posted by KARFA
... doors are closed (about 10 minutes before departure),
?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Even when the ...

?
I'm not qualified to comment, but I would hope that the flight crew would be preparing the aircraft for an early departure, and discussing with ATC on how to achieve this. In any case, let's wait for one of the professionals to give a view.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm not qualified to comment, but I would hope that the flight crew would be preparing the aircraft for an early departure, and discussing with ATC on how to achieve this.
And perhaps doing weights and speeds?
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thank heavens. Bless the silence...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thank heavens. Bless the silence...
I agree, I like midflight silence, especially when using the IFE which pauses, and often the volume of announcements is way higher than the volume of my movie.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: none
There are many VALID reasons why the pilots didn't make an announcement. Maybe it's you.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
If the announcements were missing during the decent then I would assume that the Aviate, Navigate, Communicate mantra would have kicked in. Therefore I’d be taking a close interest in my nearest emergency exit!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds great - a pilot that sticks to piloting
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by Allan38103
There are many VALID reasons why the pilots didn't make an announcement. Maybe it's you.
Quite possibly it was one of these test flights with no-one in the cockpit and the radio transmitter from the control centre was down again.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Having said that, given that pilots often have more important things to do (like flying the aircraft) than talking to the passengers, the irony is that the nervous passengers (and all the other passengers and crew) would be better off with silence than with a PA that's unnecessarily distracting the pilots.

In other words, if things are busy then passengers should prefer being safer to being more reassured.
I get what you're saying but:

- safety is a shared responsibility. If you have passengers who have confidence and feel at ease they are more likely to feel confident to speak up if something doesn't seem right. I also think this links with CRM and breaking down the "them and us" mentality across the cockpit door.

- if things are THAT rushed that there is no time for a 90 second PA then that's prob not ideal!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I get what you're saying but:

- safety is a shared responsibility. If you have passengers who have confidence and feel at ease they are more likely to feel confident to speak up if something doesn't seem right. I also think this links with CRM and breaking down the "them and us" mentality across the cockpit door.

- if things are THAT rushed that there is no time for a 90 second PA then that's prob not ideal!
Absolutely. The normal BA flight deck PAs are good for this. But if the pilots need to fly rather than talk to the passengers, I'd rather that they fly.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:21 pm

Before the Captain or F/O make a pa, the pa system has to be serviceable. It is quite possible to dispatch with the pa in the flight deck u/s, as long as a suitable system of communication with the cabin crew is established, and they can make pa's.

The Captain may have wanted to make his usual waffle, but was prevented from doing so.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Sounds perfect. If only all flights were totally free of PA. Flying is literally just like a bus ride for many of us now and the announcements are superfluous.
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.