Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another Robin Hood dilemma - tell fellow pax of their EC261 rights when BA doesn't?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Robin Hood dilemma - tell fellow pax of their EC261 rights when BA doesn't?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Up until last month I hadn't flown BA for a while, and I was positively impressed to find a leaflet explaining EC261 at the check in counter (I picked one up, in fact). It's the only airline I have flown recently which has had that information available in leaflet form, that I have noticed.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
What data can be used to analyse if EU261 has changed / improved BA's behaviour and reduced delays / cancellations that they are reponsible for? Have they left more slack in schedules? Improved maintainence? Added an extra spare plane lying around LGW/LHR?

Or is the financial disincentive of customers claiming EU261 still not worth them changing existing practises?

Just wondering if things have actually improved for us poor punters since EU261 was created?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by rossmacd
If you think BA is poor at settling EC261 claims, you haven't tried LX
Try QR and then you will have something to really complain about
rossmacd likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:22 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Surely there have been many Sheriffs of Nottingham? And was Robin Hood real, or a legend? And who Maid Marion?

Has anyone seen/experienced EC261 conduct on other liable carriers? It would certainly add to the fairness of the debate.
Was snooker invented by a peasant in Worksop? We may never know.

I'm not sure establishing fairness in this debate adds anything to it. Others may indeed operate in a similar manner, but that doesn't amount to a justification for an individual or a collective entity. It merely marks them all out as being equally crap.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by subject2load
I’m almost certain that BA are not alone in this unhelpful approach to EC261 ; but it does nonetheless say a good deal about their corporate culture where customer service issues are concerned.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I can't think of a single airline that does!

Originally Posted by T8191
Has anyone seen/experienced EC261 conduct on other liable carriers? It would certainly add to the fairness of the debate.
I actually agree that BA is far from alone in not following what I personally suspect to be the 'spirit of the reg' when it comes to EC261. I have notably had very poor experiences with KL, SU, and LX as well as BA (including after claiming). That said, I have also had much better experiences of late.

A recent delayed AF flight from NCE: a photocopied note on EC261 rights was handed out together with the refreshment vouchers upon disembarkation (great way to spend the wasted airport time, and notable contrast with the KL experience I have had!) and exactly the same process on - brace yourself for it - a U2 flight from VCE. In my view, this should be considered best practice and is the way airlines should really handle EC261 cases. Incidentally, I am not certain that AF or U2 always follow their own best practice (and it is perfectly possible BA does from some airports and individual experiences would be most welcome - this was from LHR). I very much suspect that it might be down to station managers, but those two cases of handling the issue were actually noteworthy for being, in my view, as they should be, and I have no doubt that the airlines' behaviour on both occasions generated a lot of goodwill.

On a less recent case, I also had the onboard announcement about the length of a delay on an AZ flight mentioning EC261 compensation. It is ironic that the announcement also mentioned that drink vouchers would be handed out at the gate where there was, in fact, no one to hand anything out, but given my experience of AZ I suspect it was incompetence rather than deception, and at least the onboard people did the right thing with their announcement.

Thanks c-w-s for the info about the gates. I must say that I did not see it (it was indeed B gates for the second departure) and I was looking for it, which is not very encouraging, though admittedly, in such cases, the reembarkation process is invariably chaotic as everyone rushes to try and get in regardless of boarding procedures.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:32 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks everyone for their answers! That's exactly the sort of discussion I was hoping for. And again, the specific point of this thread is what could/should I have done given the lack of obvious information. I would have asked myself the same question had I been flying Lufthansa, Air France, or Tarom and had they not told people about their EC261 entitlements, but as it happens, I was flying BA, which is why I am posting on the BA forum and there isn't much I can do to redact that particular fact however ethical it would be to pretend the experience had occurred with someone else!

What I am particularly interested in here is that it seems that quite a few others say they would have done more or less the same as me. In a way, I suppose it is not a very 'logical' choice (I suppose that "all or nothing" would seem more obvious) but it probably means that it is an intuitive reaction to try and help specific individuals either because it seems that they particularly need support (the "vulnerable" category) or because we somehow relate to them (delays, like all adverse experiences including far worse ones tend to create some sort of bond between some of the people who may experience it together).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:31 am

Let's look at the official BA submission to the CAA for their compliance report(Publication Details):

Customers are notified either in person at touchpoints at the airport, via customer letters handed out at the airport, and/or by announcements. We also hand out CAA Notification of Rights leaflets (paper copy at the airport and also emailed emailed/texted to customers)
Now how many people on here have had this?

Last edited by strichener; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My only eligible IRROPS was a 24-hour delay at LGW. Nothing said after we disembarked, but apparently there were some printouts at the Sofitel Reception ... I never saw them, but a fellow pax did, and passed me one. It was so subliminally handled that anyone could have missed it, as far as the J pax were concerned.

No idea what happened (if anything) to the couple of hundred in Y. IMO they, more than anyone else, deserved to know. Most of them must have saved for ages to afford the flight.

Full story here (amidst the fluff of the TR) >>> An “Interesting” Journey to Jamaica with BA (JER-LGW-KIN) >>> footnote to Post #3 and subsequent discussion.

Last edited by T8191; Feb 1, 2018 at 8:06 am Reason: clarity
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Thanks everyone for their answers! That's exactly the sort of discussion I was hoping for. And again, the specific point of this thread is what could/should I have done given the lack of obvious information. I would have asked myself the same question had I been flying Lufthansa, Air France, or Tarom and had they not told people about their EC261 entitlements, but as it happens, I was flying BA, which is why I am posting on the BA forum and there isn't much I can do to redact that particular fact however ethical it would be to pretend the experience had occurred with someone else!

What I am particularly interested in here is that it seems that quite a few others say they would have done more or less the same as me. In a way, I suppose it is not a very 'logical' choice (I suppose that "all or nothing" would seem more obvious) but it probably means that it is an intuitive reaction to try and help specific individuals either because it seems that they particularly need support (the "vulnerable" category) or because we somehow relate to them (delays, like all adverse experiences including far worse ones tend to create some sort of bond between some of the people who may experience it together).
You're welcome! Glad to have helped open up the debate.

My own view is that there is a responsibility for any airline to meet claims fairly and promptly, including BA. However, as passengers we have responsibility too - to make ourselves aware of our rights, and claim. It takes two to tango, as the saying goes.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA demoted to rust for disloyalty, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by strichener
Let's look at the official BA submission to the CAA for their compliance report():

Now how many people on here have had this?
Having stood the stand up at Athens I asked if they had the leaflets - they scrabbled around and found them so handed out if asked rather than handed out when relevant. I have kept two in my travel wallet for reference / sharing.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
You're welcome! Glad to have helped open up the debate.

My own view is that there is a responsibility for any airline to meet claims fairly and promptly, including BA. However, as passengers we have responsibility too - to make ourselves aware of our rights, and claim. It takes two to tango, as the saying goes.
The challenge for less-experienced pax is, however, even knowing that such “rights” exist. Denizens of BAFT have a priceless source of knowledge, from the Dashboard and experienced posters (no names, but you know who you are!).

Where do Fred and Doris Scruggs, on their first ever longhaul holiday (with car hire and hotel) start finding their ‘rights’? I guess many hours of reading the legalese fine print in their T&C on tickets/vouchers would help, but who has the determination and patience (and, dare I say, intellectual skill) to do all that? Afer a couple of days, and a dozen or more web-links, they might understand some things, but I suspect not all. Despite best efforts by many companies, even the simplified terminology can be challenging, as I found when reviewing my travel insurance recently.

Just look at the number of recent posts about Avis/BA car rental here on BAFT. It’s all horribly complex, and possibly beyond the comprehension of Fred and Doris.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Worcester
Price is a function of supply and demand not cost. Increased claims would reduce profits (and possibly BA Alex Cruz's bonus) but won't affect prices.
But could potentially see reduced service level due to reduced profits?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by stewaran
But could potentially see reduced service level due to reduced profits?
Safe to say that BA management have managed to come up with lots of ways to reduce service levels, irrespective of profit figures.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
T81,
fair point.
As Strich points out, BA should do what it told the CAA it would do.
My experience of Easyjet was awful for 261. Malaysian were much better, with leaflets given to all.

And, er, wasn't it Fred Bloggs, rather than Scruggs?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:50 am

Can those who confidently claim a clear and direct link between an increase in EU261 claims and a consequent increase in flight prices please substantiate this. Ideally illustrating price taker vs price maker arguments and evidencing through normalised flight price data since EU261 was introduced.

Otherwise stop spouting economics 101 guff that is in no way supportable by actual data.
710 77345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.