Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another Robin Hood dilemma - tell fellow pax of their EC261 rights when BA doesn't?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Robin Hood dilemma - tell fellow pax of their EC261 rights when BA doesn't?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:48 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I think you went about it the right way.

It does however illustrate well how the regulations are being gamed though - if they can distribute duty of care vouchers to people, I see no possible reason why something explaining what passengers are entitled to, and how they go about claiming it, can't be distributed at the same time. The only possible explanation is that they avoid doing so for entirely self-interested reasons.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA demoted to rust for disloyalty, Hilton Gold
Since an experience with BA at Athens where they placed the claim information stand face down on the desk whilst dealing with customers from a cancelled flight who were entitled to claim, followed by months of them trying to weasel out of their responsibilities (before finally paying up) I seem to be more than willing to speak up. Am I causing our ticket prices to rise? Should I shut up?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by JMcGP
Since an experience with BA at Athens where they placed the claim information stand face down on the desk whilst dealing with customers from a cancelled flight who were entitled to claim, followed by months of them trying to weasel out of their responsibilities (before finally paying up) I seem to be more than willing to speak up. Am I causing our ticket prices to rise? Should I shut up?
Well, yes. The money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere must ultimately be the airline's passengers. If more and more people claim then an airline will have to find that additional money which would inevitably mean higher fares.

I have never claimed EC261 compensation, my personal policy is to only claim where delays or cancellations actually put me out of pocket. So far, I have not been in a position of 'loss' when I've experienced IRROPS.

That said, the Regulations are there and people are free to claim according to their own conscience/policy. Should you shut up? No.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Feb 1, 2018 at 5:17 am Reason: Bloody auto-correct
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Price is a function of supply and demand not cost. Increased claims would reduce profits (and possibly BA Alex Cruz's bonus) but won't affect prices.
EuropeanPete and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Worcester
Price is a function of supply and demand not cost. Increased claims would reduce profits (and possibly BA Alex Cruz's bonus) but won't affect prices.
But ... might BA increase orices to restore the profit? Or am I being too simplicstic?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Well, yes. The money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere must ultimately be the airline's passengers. If more and more people claim then an airline will have to find that additional money which would inevitably mean higher fares.

I have never claimed EC261 compensation, my personal policy is to only claim where delays or cancellations actually put me out of pocket. So far, I have not been in a position of 'loss' when I've experienced IRROPS.

That said, the Regulations are there and people are free to claim according to their own conscience/policy. Should you shut up? No.
I'm not entirely sure I agree with this; if the process was automated would you reject the payment? This is a legal not voluntary obligation and thus all affected should claim otherwise what incentive is there for the airline to up the game and prevent more of these types of incident (I accept sometimes things will just be).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
But ... might BA increase orices to restore the profit? Or am I being too simplicstic?
Of course prices will be affected, whilst supply and demand does affect prices, an airline will only operate services where it can make a profit. Compensation payments come off the bottom line, if there is no profit there is no money to pay the compensation.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:44 am

BA is coming in for a lot of stick here. How ethical is it to single out one airline whilst not including, or even mentioning, others who also do the same (as Tobias-UK says BA already probably do more than others including signs at the gates).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by the storm fisherman
Although this is "not"a true comparison but it is close enough. I travelled up to leeds over the christmas period and was delayed by an hour and 2 mins, but all credit to Virgin east coast trains they did annonce several times with all details on how to claim delay repay and it seemed that it was genuine rather than that very tight fistness of the airlines.
Whilst this is commendable, I think the problem here is that the rail companies get the payouts for delays from National Rail automatically and there's growing awareness about the low claim rate. The rail companies presumably would rather have 50% of something as opposed to 100% of nothing. With EU261 - and especially in this instance - the buck stops with the carrier.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:50 am

If you think BA is poor at settling EC261 claims, you haven't tried LX
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
BA is coming in for a lot of stick here. How ethical is it to single out one airline whilst not including, or even mentioning, others who also do the same (as Tobias-UK says BA already probably do more than others including signs at the gates).
Possible because this is the BA forum?

I’m sure members would contribute their EC261 stories about other carriers on the appropriate forum, but I’ve never bothered to look as I don’t fly with them.
IAMORGAN and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Possible because this is the BA forum?

I’m sure members would contribute their EC261 stories about other carriers on the appropriate forum, but I’ve never bothered to look as I don’t fly with them.
Good point. However, also a good point that it is very relevant context though? After all, there was only one Sheriff of Nottingham, but there are lots of airlines
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:53 am

More ethical than BA's responses to EU261 claims in general.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by strichener
More ethical than BA's responses to EU261 claims in general.
Touché ^
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point. However, also a good point that it is very relevant context though? After all, there was only one Sheriff of Nottingham, but there are lots of airlines
Surely there have been many Sheriffs of Nottingham? And was Robin Hood real, or a legend? And who Maid Marion?

Has anyone seen/experienced EC261 conduct on other liable carriers? It would certainly add to the fairness of the debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.