End of bussing for LGW Domestic/CTA pax!

Old Jan 31, 18, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
End of bussing for LGW Domestic/CTA pax!

The following from today's Jersey Evening Post.

It appears that LGW have found a way to resolve the bussing issue. It would be nice if it also allowed connections to International flights, but at least this is a start! ^
Attached Images  
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Great news ! However not in time for my B2B in April !
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh, that made my day! If I was the whinging sort I guess I would pick up on the "next year" bit for implementation, but I best leave that to someone better at moaning than me. The wording doesn't necessarily guarantee an airbridge solution but we shall see.

This came about when the Home Office realised that the previous system - when meant everyone could use the UK Border facility using boarding passes and temporary coloured cards - was being abused, and gave LGW just days to cobble together an alternative arrangement. It's been improved slightly but it's the biggest downside to South.

Thanks for sharing UncleT.
T8191 and sph77 like this.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
The improvements are part of GAL's Capital Investment plan, announced last autumn. GAL announced they will invest a further £1.15 billion to further improve Gatwick over the next five years. The plan includes the following : -
  • Enhancing passenger service as well as supporting our airlines to operate on time with an extension to Pier 6 as well as stand re-configurations to provide more aircraft parking and the expansion of the North Terminal border facilities to handle more long-haul arrivals
  • A new domestic arrivals facility, including a new baggage reclaim, in South Terminal
  • A suite of IT projects supporting core airport functions and improving our passengers' experience
  • Expanding the departures lounge in both terminals
  • A new hangar built in partnership with Boeing to better service and maintain aircraft on-site
  • Extending the roll-out of self-service bag drop, automating the boarding process at the gate to make embarkation more efficient and help on-time performance
  • Additional car parking capacity for both long and short-stay customers
  • Improved access to South Terminal for passengers and staff using local buses to travel to and from the airport
  • Projects to support greater use of electric vehicles, continuing to reduce the airport’s environmental impact and realise our ambition to be the UK’s most sustainable airport.
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC (gold), HHonors (lowest), Marriot (lowest), Accor (Silver)
Project won't start construction until end of June (earliest) meaning operational trials c. 6/19
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the update, Lgwfan ^

From a personal, picky, perspective everything that’s been done (as it affects us) has largely been worse than the old days of North. Not being bussed just takes us back to where we once were.

• No connections to International (our main consideration).
  • Nicer but distant BA Lounges.
  • The Hell-hole of World Duty Free.

The rest is all good fluff, but it doesn’t prevent LGW being my least favourite airport, anywhere!
Old Jan 31, 18, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Id is anyone else find it humorous that the local Jersey press refer to up to “10 flights a day” which presumably means five to Jersey and five flying back!
Old Jan 31, 18, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andset1191 View Post
Id is anyone else find it humorous that the local Jersey press refer to up to “10 flights a day” which presumably means five to Jersey and five flying back!
Never confuse the JEP with accurate journalism

Search this Thread
Search Engine: