Is BA turning into AA?

Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:23 am

What is wrong with group boarding?
Works great on DL and AA
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
A few years ago I would have said "I hope not". As the posts above show, there has been something of an about turn, and many people, myself included, would say "I wish". The only area where I prefer BA is the crew, where I just find them a bit more personable. In every other respect, both Y and J travel, AA are leading the way.
710 77345 and rossmacd like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Winzz
Boarding in groups is definitely an AA signature and considering AA is more like a budget airliner, why is BA turning into a budget airliner?
Airlines all over the world do some form of group boarding. That includes BA's previous boarding arrangement in a way, it's just been repackaged and made clearer via a numbering system. Its importance to me as a regular traveller is close to zero, but many other FTers used to hate BA's previous boarding process and the same FTers are (generally) giving a thumbs up for the new Group Boarding system. Which in a way is better than the AA version since there are usually 3 lanes rather than AA's 2 lanes, and someone checking the Groups at the top of the lane, which is where the AA system can get congested. United, for example, tends to have all 5 lanes separately lined up, which is great if you have the space for it.

Now I'm aware I'm just diving into one specific point in your post, and perhaps in danger of missing your wider argument, but nevertheless let me welcome you to Flyertalk and also welcome you to the BA forum Winzz, it's good to see you here and thank you for starting the debate.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
This. Until 10+/- years ago BA owned a firmly planted reputation as the TATL quality leader over all US-based carriers. Today I believe it goes DL > AA > VS > BA > UA.
If United start to pull their finger out and get the Polaris hard product properly rolled out then I suspect that order will change. Delta moving their Airbus business class product to more of the London flights is certainly a welcome improvement from a majority 767 operation.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
Yes if BA could go "downhill" and make Club World more like AA's excellent product on the 777-300 I might switch back to them for transatlantic....
This is the kind of dream I don't want to wake from.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
In every other respect, both Y and J travel, AA are leading the way.
How exactly is AA doing that for passengers that do not have status? Yes, OW EMDs do get a free drink and snack (if something is available as they sometimes run out of stuff). So, it is good if you're a top tier elite but does nothing for everyone else. AA offers different perks than BA rather than an overwhelmingly better experience in economy. BA grants lounge access to BAEC elites on all flights while AA excludes its own on domestic flights. BA waives a heavy bag charge for OW SPHs while AA does not. AA has basic economy fares where passengers do not have access to overhead bins (BA allows standard cabin luggage on all fares). On Transatlantic AA is 10 abreast while BA (so far) is 9 abreast. AA offers wine and beer only, and only with dinner, and only on some flights. BA offers all drinks for free throughout the flight.
So, yes, AA may offer something to OW EMDs that BA does not, but I don't see how AA is leading the way in economy in general (apart from densifying the economy cabin by removing 9-abreast MCE).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Andriyko
How exactly is AA doing that for passengers that do not have status? Yes, OW EMDs do get a free drink and snack (if something is available as they sometimes run out of stuff). So, it is good if you're a top tier elite but does nothing for everyone else. AA offers different perks than BA rather than an overwhelmingly better experience in economy. BA grants lounge access to BAEC elites on all flights while AA excludes its own on domestic flights. BA waives a heavy bag charge for OW SPHs while AA does not. AA has basic economy fares where passengers do not have access to overhead bins (BA allows standard cabin luggage on all fares). On Transatlantic AA is 10 abreast while BA (so far) is 9 abreast. AA offers wine and beer only, and only with dinner, and only on some flights. BA offers all drinks for free throughout the flight.
So, yes, AA may offer something to OW EMDs that BA does not, but I don't see how AA is leading the way in economy in general (apart from densifying the economy cabin by removing 9-abreast MCE).
If you are going to discuss economy, well at least on shorthaul you can still get a non-alcoholic drink for free on AA and a small snack, where on BA you are lucky if you can get your free cup of tap water by the time you land.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Economy? <shiver>

Certainly as BA Gold/OWE the pax experience in J is fine, whether TATL or Domestic. And we love the 1-2-1 config in J on TATL. The Domestic J perhaps less than stellar, but infinitely better to BA’s CE, with actual legroom!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
If you are going to discuss economy, well at least on shorthaul you can still get a non-alcoholic drink for free on AA and a small snack
Yes, I am aware of that. I just don't understand how is that 'leading'... Or why we even compare airlines that operate in different parts of the world and do not operate the same shorthaul routes. At least on longhaul (where BA has a better offering) BA and AA operate the same routes.

And since the comparison is about the perks rather than the actual product, with Theoretical Seating, both EMDs and SPHs have a chance of having a seat next to them empty on BA - something that AA does not do.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
And don’t forget about the waitlist upgrades on AA with their FF program.
I was GGL on BA a few years ago, switched over to AA... it has been the best FF program switch for me! I’m upgraded domestically 80% of the time, Longhaul upgrades are awesome, the upgrade list is fully disclosed, Business class seats are great. Staff erm ok,
I’d wish BA would follow AA more!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the AA upgrade scheme ... walk over the little people.

At least on BA the system is (fairly) honest ... no upgrades unless WE need to do it.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by T8191
Making unstatused pax pay for advance seat selection is a better case of walking all over the little people.
prof, wrp96, simonrp84 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dave_C
United in the Smisek years would be more accurate.
That would be an insult to Smisek.

Honestly, I wish we can answer yes to the thread title.
1) AA has all aisle access in J
2) AA has real short haul J seats with extra legroom
3) AA does not charge to reserve J seats in advance. AA also makes some Y seats available with no charge in advance.
4) AA allows you to pre-order J meals
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Making unstatused pax pay for advance seat selection is a better case of walking all over the little people.
Want privileges, get status, surely? Or just accept the seat you’re given? Anyway, BA seats are free at T-24h, or T-7d as Bronze. I’ve never paid for seat allocation in my life, and been upgraded just once!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191

At least on BA the system is (fairly) honest ... no upgrades unless WE need to do it.
There's a very renowned member of BA that hates this AA upgrade scheme. I got to enjoy this for more than 10 years on USAirways: on 95% of my domestic US flights I was upgraded to First Class one week before my flight.

Then, again, the nice 1-2-1 configuration on the Airbus 333 also comes from USAirways. I believe it was the first airline in the US to have that configuration. My wife and I could get windows and have direct aisle access. Perfect combination!

Now, that I'm back in the US in a city with no AA, I'm stuck having to fly with UA and sadly my international flights in Business are on a 2-4-2 configuration. Makes me feel that I'm still flying BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.