Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrying a slow cooker as hand luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Carrying a slow cooker as hand luggage?

If someone needs to bring a slow cook er on a journey (travelling BA economy), can that be achieved? Package dimensions are (LxWxH)730x370x536mm, so exceeds hand luggage limits, but checking it in will likely result in a damaged / useless utensil even if marked "fragile".

Is there any solution?

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:26 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It's in the original box? You should be able to put it in a big suitcase?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
It's in the original box? You should be able to put it in a big suitcase?
Can it withstand the impact if it is in a big suitcase in the hold? Unlikely?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Properly packaged, it will be fine as checked luggage. The fragile and oversized items do get treated differently from what I have seen. I've checked cases of champagne with no breakage.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I’m not sure the crew will let you plug it into the in-seat power though... If the flight is long enough it’s an interesting way to improve the catering.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
I’m not sure the crew will let you plug it into the in-seat power though... If the flight is long enough it’s an interesting way to improve the catering.
If he's flying Euro Traveller, that would *be* the catering.
BertieBadger and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
While not completely relevant, my grandmother always traveled with her favorite cast iron skillets when she'd take the bus to visit us. My father nearly threw his back out the first time he offered to carry her luggage for her. ;-)

Good luck traveling with your cooking utensil!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
If he's flying Euro Traveller, that would *be* the catering.
Also ideal for clobbering that chancer who attempts to take your 'theoretical seating' empty seat.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
A pressure cooker might be more suitable at altitude..
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
I frequently fly with equipment that can be a little delicate. We over-engineer the packaging, ie lots of interior packaging and lashings of duct tape around the box, and then ask for it to be treated as 'outsize' (this involves you taking it to a separate drop-off location, it doesn't just trundle off on the belt behind the check-in desk). We've never had a breakage.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have actually transported one of these as hand baggage, although I must say it was nowhere near as large as the dimensions you state. I was travelling in CE and the crew found a spot for it in the wardrobe and was really helpful. Not sure how it would work now the wardrobes are being enhanced away but if it can fit in the overhead locker it should be ok. It will, after all, still be smaller than the bags some passengers bring on board.
Is the device itself really as large as you say or is that just the packaging?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:20 am

If marked as fragile and in its original box it will be fine to check in. It will have started it's life being thrown around shipping containers and warehouses.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
I can't find the picture at the moment but on a BA short haul flight once I snapped a photo of a rice cooker a person of Asian heritage had dumped at the CE overhead bin before walking off to row 613 to take his seat. I actually was not sure if I was dreaming or it had actually happened
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by zat_dude
I can't find the picture at the moment but on a BA short haul flight once I snapped a photo of a rice cooker a person of Asian heritage had dumped at the CE overhead bin before walking off to row 613 to take his seat. I actually was not sure if I was dreaming or it had actually happened
If ever you fly between Japan and another Asian country, especially Taiwan, you'll see some families carrying a rice cooker each. Most check them in though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.