Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DUB BA Operated Flights Became Aer Lingus Operated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUB BA Operated Flights Became Aer Lingus Operated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't know why you'd think there'd be anything free. EI doesn't even give free water on their flights. It's all 'buy on board'.
I am not clear why EI normally offers should have any relevance. It is not suggested that BA flights will be replaced by EI flights with an EI product and a BA codeshare onto those flights. EI is meant to provide the hardware and personnel but the product is supposed to be a BA one. In practice, since it is not really feasible on those replacement flights to train staff to operate the BA BoB product, it has normally been the case, as CWS stated, that one ends up with a basic complimentary product instead. It would, however, be rather novel for the replacement airline to offer its own inflight product instead of the BA one.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:15 pm

Q
Originally Posted by NickB
I am not clear why EI normally offers should have any relevance. It is not suggested that BA flights will be replaced by EI flights with an EI product and a BA codeshare onto those flights. EI is meant to provide the hardware and personnel but the product is supposed to be a BA one. In practice, since it is not really feasible on those replacement flights to train staff to operate the BA BoB product, it has normally been the case, as CWS stated, that one ends up with a basic complimentary product instead. It would, however, be rather novel for the replacement airline to offer its own inflight product instead of the BA one.
Yeah, but the February flights are doing (early morning) DUB-LHR, then LHR-HAM, and returning. So the aircraft will have been DUB-based the day before. Did you know this? The Qatar and other aircraft used last year have positioned empty to LHR and started operations there.

Your post suggests that BA will transport catering to DUB, the night before, to fill one aircraft with catering, to a standard that no longer exists - complimentary short haul.

EI accepts cash in 'all major currencies' too so I guess Aer Lingus crew know sterling.

IF EI do operate its own catering, it will be nice to have a (paid) hot breakfast in BA Euro economy again.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
The BA827 (17.50 DUB-LHR) on 25 Feb is now an Aer Lingus one - no CE (I was booked in economy so no idea what they've done with the people booked in CE, but I was able to move forward from row 7 to row 4)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BA is not selling CE on these flights so fair to assume it won't be there ....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
BA is not selling CE on these flights so fair to assume it won't be there ....
It's not there now, but it was definitely there when I booked it a week ago.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
The BA827 (17.50 DUB-LHR) on 25 Feb is now an Aer Lingus one - no CE (I was booked in economy so no idea what they've done with the people booked in CE, but I was able to move forward from row 7 to row 4)
I was in CE on the 1525 service and have been cancelled and rebooked into ET on the same flight.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
There will be no CE. I have a DUB-LHR-DOH-CMB CMB-DOH-LHR-DUB holiday booked in Feb in Club, MMB showed that the two DUB flights were canceled so I called BA. They explained that it is now EI for about a month, and that whilst the flights are still on (although with EI aircraft) there is no Club so they canceled my flight (odd move), I've been rebooked in ET, and I guess I will now need to figure out how original Routing Credit works.
Apparently there are some BA operated flights, but as we are a group of 5 (2 adults 3 kids) they couldn't fit us in CE with what is still available.

I do find it odd though that you could still at that point go online and buy a CE ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am on one of the affected flights in March - BA828 1620 DUB - 1750 LHR. No notification from BA, only realised based on this thread. They have cancelled my CE booking and rebooked me in economy on the replacement EI... in row 29! No mention of a refund or compensation. I mean honestly, that’s beyond poor service. If it wasn’t for FT I might not have realised it until the day and who knows if any CE alternative would have been available.

I’ll be calling the silver line tomorrow to find out what they can offer as an alternative. Will be interesting to see if there is a refund of the difference available as these seats were not cheap and I’m not sure if the flight before or after will work from a time perspective.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what would happen if someone shows up on the day expecting CE and is notified they are downgraded to the back of the bus on EI metal... will it be a contact CS to be offered a couple of Avios situation?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 27Liam
Out of curiosity, I wonder what would happen if someone shows up on the day expecting CE and is notified they are downgraded to the back of the bus on EI metal... will it be a contact CS to be offered a couple of Avios situation?
Unless you agree to an alternative course of action, then EC261 (main thread in the Dashboard) will provide some protection, but it only gives a refund of 30% on distances below 1500 km, net after APD etc is excluded, which won't be a lot of money. BA's own involuntary refund calculation will almost certainly be higher than the Regulation's protection. So you're best to talk to BA and come up with a suitable alternative.
27Liam likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Just got this notification from TripCase for my LHR-DUB BA826 (AA6772 codeshare) flight next week, so looks like these swaps are happening pretty quick. I was a bit worried that it'd be moving to T2 as I'm connecting at LHR, but BA.com says T5 still.

I could change to a different flight under AA's CoC, but I'm interested to see what the inflight service on this one looks like and it is a short flight so no worries if it is terrible.

My biggest question is whether my luggage gets tagged by AA with the BA flight number or some fill in EI one!

Edit: Just noticed that MMB will no longer let me change my seat, though the previously assigned one selected on BA.com is still there.

Last edited by ORD-DCA Flyer; Feb 4, 2018 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Having just noticed this Thread resurfacing, we have a couple of LHR/DUB sectors in CE in a few months’ time. If we get hit by an EI substitution:

1. Do we get CE TPs anyway, as we paid for CE? As in Original Routing Credit.
2. Is there any compensation for the diminution of service that we paid for? Such as a cash refund!

Either or both seem appropriate.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Looks like rows 1 and 2 are blocked on these flights, at least when a ways out. While seat changes aren't available in MMB, I moved from 12F to 13F through my TA's site.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Having just noticed this Thread resurfacing, we have a couple of LHR/DUB sectors in CE in a few months’ time. If we get hit by an EI substitution:

1. Do we get CE TPs anyway, as we paid for CE? As in Original Routing Credit.
2. Is there any compensation for the diminution of service that we paid for? Such as a cash refund!

Either or both seem appropriate.
Not sure about question 1, but re question 2, when I called BA call centre (non-UK) about my affected flights they were offering no compensation if I kept the EI economy flight that I was rebooked on - they said I would have to write to CS and take my chances. They offered a rebooking onto any other CE service that day and were ok for me to switch from LHR to LCY as the time was closest to my original booking and our travel time was not very flexible. A reasonable solution albeit CELCY is an inferior relative value proposition IMO. Not such a big deal for me as I have done many CE sectors but my lesser travelled companion is quite disappointed.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:54 am

is there any explanation from BA for these changes?
we have CE booked but farther out (November)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlanA
is there any explanation from BA for these changes?
we have CE booked but farther out (November)
Typically you won't see an official explanation pushed out for this, but the reason is given upthread, namely a shortage of aircraft and crew in the context of the LGW expansion. Slots are allocated a use-it-or-lose-it basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.