Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe worth it?? LHR CPH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The question is not so much what it cost OP to earn the miles, but what he/she could use them for instead (opportunity cost). For example it may be possible to get much greater value from them on an AA domestic route OP flies. Really depends on OP's plans.

As suggested above, it's definitely worth checking Norwegian and easyJet cash fares from LGW. That is assuming OP will be coming from London, rather than already at LHR.

and and why do you think he wants to use a low cost airline and pay for everything which in the end will be the same price as a legacy carrier?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
...You will be in a seat with a pitch of around 30", trend decreasing ...
When the next densification occurs, the CE seats will remain as they are now.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
When the next densification occurs, the CE seats will remain as they are now.
I stand corrected. The fact does however remain that BA’s short-haul business product offers less legroom than many other carriers’ economy product. The space differentiation on BA aircraft is simply the free middle seat. The highest legroom seats are the exit rows in Economy, which can be purchased by any passengers, regardless of status. It does not show that BA is serious about its own “premium” cabin.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer

I stand corrected. The fact does however remain that BA’s short-haul business product offers less legroom than many other carriers’ economy product. The space differentiation on BA aircraft is simply the free middle seat. The highest legroom seats are the exit rows in Economy, which can be purchased by any passengers, regardless of status. It does not show that BA is serious about its own “premium” cabin.
That has been stated several times already in this (and countless other) topics.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That has been stated several times already in this (and countless other) topics.
Yes, admittedly true, but I was under the impression the OP was new here. And to be fair, none of us have taken the better and more personal service into account either. That is for me the real differentiator. But would that be worth 10,000 extra AA miles to me when 62,500 of them get me from Europe to SYD in J? No.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by RolfD
and and why do you think he wants to use a low cost airline and pay for everything which in the end will be the same price as a legacy carrier?
I think you'll find what I said was it is worth checking the LCC cash fares. That way you can actually see what the price will be, including the extras you need, rather than blindly assuming. And remember the legacy carrier (BA) does not include everything - as we all know seat selection is payable even in J without status.

And again this is in the context of asking "is this is a good use of miles, versus something else I could use the miles for?" Clearly if OP has unlimited miles then the award in J will be best value. However I doubt OP has unlimited miles.
simonrp84 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by The thread topic
LHR-CPH
Originally Posted by SFO777
You can fly Norwegian
No you can't.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:57 am

It's not just 12,500 miles or 22,500 miles. There's also the $46 in taxes and BA YQ scam charges.
Why waste your miles? Club Euro-fraud is a garbage product anyway.
You can fly Norwegian nonstop for $50 including taxes and YQ. Pay a little to check a bag or learn to travel with carryons.
SFO777 makes valid points, albeit somewhat loaded with hyperbole (must be his intense dislike for BA)

Norwegian are excellent value in the Nordics, and you can pay 11EUR to get fast track one way. Fast Track is a must at CPH during the rush.
In your shoes, I would look a this option instead and use your miles better elsewhere.

I wouldn't call Club Europe fraud, depends on the sector which some are utter pants value for money. For short flights such as CPH which often comes in under 1.5h, the extra cost is not worth it.
On my frequent route ARN-LHR CE is a good deal usually, especially when seated in row 1.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
No you can't.
Pedant.

Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Petrus
SFO777 makes valid points, albeit somewhat loaded with hyperbole (must be his intense dislike for BA)
I wouldn't call Club Europe fraud, depends on the sector which some are utter pants value for money. For short flights such as CPH which often comes in under 1.5h, the extra cost is not worth it.
On my frequent route ARN-LHR CE is a good deal usually, especially when seated in row 1.
LOL on the hyperbole part.
I am really trying to like BA since believe it or not... I'm running for BA Gold next month, thanks to last year's CAI-HNL fare "sale".
I agree that short haul CE is survivable, especially in the bulkhead. Unfortunately, we were stuck in non-bulkhead 30" pitch CE for 4+ hours a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 30, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
In avios terms I'd frame it slightly differently: I think CE on the band 1 flights is a reasonable deal. It's the Band 2 flights than are caught in the medium catering band that are worst value - PMI, VCE, VIE for example. The upgrade cost 67% more than CPH's but you get virtually nothing extra bar the empty middle seat for an extra 30 mins, and a more unsuitable meal for the long ride to frustrate you.
dodgeflyer and Petrus like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

LOL on the hyperbole part.
I am really trying to like BA since believe it or not... I'm running for BA Gold next month, thanks to last year's CAI-HNL fare "sale".
I agree that short haul CE is survivable, especially in the bulkhead. Unfortunately, we were stuck in non-bulkhead 30" pitch CE for 4+ hours a couple of weeks ago.
The seat space is tight around the knees. If you cannot get a front row seat, I discovered it is possible to claim additional lateral space by lifting the armrest and resting my arm on the console instead. The benefit here is that the extra inch of occupy-able seat cushion is sufficient enough to a accommodate a minor rotation of the gluteus maximus, just enough so that I can point my feet towards the vacant foot well (beneath the middle seat). This relieves the knee crunch effect*

* it took me about 18 months to figure this out
Tobias-UK and RolfD like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Pedant.

Setting aside any logistical, time and cost implications of diverting the OP to LGW to take the Norwegian flight, a true pedant would also point out that, for such a short sector, the time spent at the airport represents a fair proportion of the travel experience.

Gatwick South, no lounge, in July ? Ugh.

Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Setting aside any logistical, time and cost implications of diverting the OP to LGW to take the Norwegian flight, a true pedant would also point out that, for such a short sector, the time spent at the airport represents a fair proportion of the travel experience.

Gatwick South, no lounge, in July ? Ugh.
There are of course Priority Pass/Lounge Club/paid lounge options at LGW South. Mid-morning I actually prefer the No1 Lounge to the sparkly new BA lounge.

As for time and logistics, as I alluded to above if OP is in central London then it's likely that LGW is just as easy if not easier than LHR, albeit the train there is more expensive than the Tube (not the HEX). As ever, all depends on the actual circumstances of the OP.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jan 30, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.