Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unexpected benefit of achieving GGL For Life [unlimited jokers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL For Life: Hilton Diamond: IHG Platinum

Hi All

I recently made GGL For Life. I thought I was aware of all the benefits, including the CCR card for life etc. But in a conversation with one of the GGL team on the ‘phone (subsequently confirmed in an email) I was informed that GGL FL members get unlimited “Jokers/ Space Releases” each year, rather than the usual 2 for “regular” GGL members. They told me that GGL FL members get treated the same as Premiers in this regard. Given that I divide my time between bases in the UK and Australia the more seats in premium classes that I can get access to on the sole LHR – SYD flight each year the better

I hadn’t seen this benefit in the excellent “Beginners Guide to GGL” but that might be an oversight on my part?

Of course being a “Flyertalker” this piece if information only gives rise to a supplementary question – bit like PMQs . Would my CIV as a GGL FL also match that of a Premier (105 I believe) with all the attendant showering of rose petals that goes with it? To that point I thought I would share with this esteemed community that the moment at which one crosses the GGL FL threshold - in my case a rather mundane LHR – ARN - does not bring with it any momentous marking of the occasion… No water cannon salute as the ‘plane pulls into the gate. No visit from the “Chief Pilot’ to sit down next to you and hand over “the card” a la Ryan Bingham…. Just a rather confusing and shambolic series of letters and emails from the Exec Club which, frankly, the GGL team seemed a bit embarrassed about.

In case it is of interest to anyone, getting to these lofty heights took me a little over 27 years, flying long haul mostly in Club with the occasional First, and mixture of CE and Y in Europe, I would roughly estimate that:
  1. about 90% of the flights were “straightforward” ones that I had to take for business or pleasure
  2. about 7% / 8% were flights that I still had to take but where I deliberately took routings with advantageous Tier Points (such as LHR – TYO – SIN – OZ on JL / QF)
  3. and 2% - in the last couple of years when I thought “let’s go for this before the threshold is raised or it is abolished” – were “genuine” TP runs and where TLL was very much my friend . Would be interested to hear if anyone was already aware of the unlimited jokers and any other comments very welcome

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 26, 2018 at 9:54 pm Reason: Tidy up formatting for readability
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Congrats! There can't be many of you at those lofty heights. The wife won't let me go for GGL FL unfortunately - perhaps it's time for a trade in?

I'm on the verge of achieving GfL, which was my aim a few years ago, and I have already had a few members of cabin crew congratulate me on my impending achievement, knowing that I have flights booked that will take me over 35,000 TPs. I was fairly impressed with that.

Unlimited jokers for life sounds a fantastic benefit - I will carry on dreaming...
RJD1983, mikeyfly and madfish like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I thought this was something about unlimited jokes about people who achieve GGL, a feat I will never manage.
jonkx likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Congrats! There can't be many of you at those lofty heights. The wife won't let me go for GGL FL unfortunately - perhaps it's time for a trade in?

I'm on the verge of achieving GfL, which was my aim a few years ago, and I have already had a few members of cabin crew congratulate me on my impending achievement, knowing that I have flights booked that will take me over 35,000 TPs. I was fairly impressed with that.

Unlimited jokers for life sounds a fantastic benefit - I will carry on dreaming...
Only 65 OTP/PHX via HEL will have you there. That doesn’t sound too bad now, does it?
Markie, SkyTeem and mickeyjaw like this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
Hi All

I recently made GGL For Life. I thought I was aware of all the benefits, including the CCR card for life etc. But in a conversation with one of the GGL team on the ‘phone (subsequently confirmed in an email) I was informed that GGL FL members get unlimited “Jokers/ Space Releases” each year, rather than the usual 2 for “regular” GGL members. They told me that GGL FL members get treated the same as Premiers in this regard. Given that I divide my time between bases in the UK and Australia the more seats in premium classes that I can get access to on the sole LHR – SYD flight each year the better

I hadn’t seen this benefit in the excellent “Beginners Guide to GGL” but that might be an oversight on my part?

Of course being a “Flyertalker” this piece if information only gives rise to a supplementary question – bit like PMQs . Would my CIV as a GGL FL also match that of a Premier (105 I believe) with all the attendant showering of rose petals that goes with it? To that point I thought I would share with this esteemed community that the moment at which one crosses the GGL FL threshold - in my case a rather mundane LHR – ARN - does not bring with it any momentous marking of the occasion… No water cannon salute as the ‘plane pulls into the gate. No visit from the “Chief Pilot’ to sit down next to you and hand over “the card” a la Ryan Bingham…. Just a rather confusing and shambolic series of letters and emails from the Exec Club which, frankly, the GGL team seemed a bit embarrassed about.

In case it is of interest to anyone, getting to these lofty heights took me a little over 27 years, flying long haul mostly in Club with the occasional First, and mixture of CE and Y in Europe, I would roughly estimate that:
  1. about 90% of the flights were “straightforward” ones that I had to take for business or pleasure
  2. about 7% / 8% were flights that I still had to take but where I deliberately took routings with advantageous Tier Points (such as LHR – TYO – SIN – OZ on JL / QF)
  3. and 2% - in the last couple of years when I thought “let’s go for this before the threshold is raised or it is abolished” – were “genuine” TP runs and where TLL was very much my friend . Would be interested to hear if anyone was already aware of the unlimited jokers and any other comments very welcome
A Prem’s CIV will be 105, your CIV as LTGGL will be 100.

​​​​​​​You have my commiserations on your achievement
florens likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by madfish

Only 65 OTP/PHX via HEL will have you there. That doesn’t sound too bad now, does it?
56 more trips to book for me then.

At about Ł1300 a trip that's about Ł85,000 for 65 trips which seems relatively cheap considering how much some people (or their employers) will have paid over the years. Is lifetime GGL worth Ł85k?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
Just a rather confusing and shambolic series of letters and emails from the Exec Club which, frankly, the GGL team seemed a bit embarrassed about.
Series of emails? I think it's just that nice Mr. Hillier sending a single email congratulating you and outlining the key benefits. I seem to recall there was supposed to be a follow up call from the Manchester team, as there is supposed to be for main GGL, but I've not seen any reports of either recently. The multiple jokers has been mentioned before somewhere but I can understand why it's not in the main GGL thread, it would probably set the Cairo-Honolulu route alight. CIV is 100 for GGLfL (it may dip below at the start of your membership year however) and 101 if you have department travel spend authority. However you still have to earn GUFs and 50k bonuses the hard way!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 1:36 am

Curiously how would the crew know? Is your current TP and all your future flights on their iPad?

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
What is the CIV for Gold for Life? That’s my 2018 target...
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
What is the CIV for Gold for Life? That’s my 2018 target...
Same as for bog-standard Gold, 52 baseline, 96 maximum.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: LH HON, BA LT Gold, AFKL ULTI, WOH Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Wowh. You are a loyal customer to BA.
Congrats.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Curiously how would the crew know? Is your current TP and all your future flights on their iPad?

There is no such thing, They would have received a message to deliver. The app does distinguish between GGL and GGLFL.

Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
That's a lot of airtime, you have my sympathy, but congrats on GGLFL!
windscar likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Same as for bog-standard Gold, 52 baseline, 96 maximum.

Hi CWS,

What would the range of CIV be for GGL ?

Thanks

DtB
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Down the back
What would the range of CIV be for GGL ?
I believe its 97 to 99 depending on whether you have a travel budget responsibility or not (for which BA can only guess). It doesn't hugely matter, I sometimes think CIV is used more in this website than on BA.
Stez and SkyTeem like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.