Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard etiquette: blocked seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Starship73
Immediately prior to the start of boarding, the crew place red-coloured head-rest covers onto the seats that are officially designated as blocked, thus pre-empting any debate as to whether a passenger can unilaterally re-seat themselves there? That would be no different to the tray table being lowered to indicate the middle seats in CE are not available for occupation, would it?
Dont you think the crew have better things to do than police that? As much as I like TS, and it has worked in my favour MANY times, I think the obsession about a non-published benefit that is not mentioned anywhere except FT and maybe some other sites? It is nice when it happens, but if you really want a certain seat empty, pay for it and bring a violin as your travel companion :-)

Also, I don’t think the crew knows what is blocked and what is genuinely empty? On a half empty flight, should they run around and stick red bags on 100s of seats?
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
It’s an interesting state of affairs when the passengers have more information about seat allocations than the crew though, isn’t it? So as has already been pointed out, those of us that know which seats are blocked up to the point of boarding can then sit in them while ‘defending’ the second seat that is printed on our boarding pass. Regardless of whether BA wants to hide the workings of TS, the reality is that the information is effectively publicly available and is already in the hands of many frequent flyers.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
It’s an interesting state of affairs when the passengers have more information about seat allocations than the crew though, isn’t it? So as has already been pointed out, those of us that know which seats are blocked up to the point of boarding can then sit in them while ‘defending’ the second seat that is printed on our boarding pass. Regardless of whether BA wants to hide the workings of TS, the reality is that the information is effectively publicly available and is already in the hands of many frequent flyers.
Not really, as it's not an actual seat allocation, and in the end crew have discretion over seating arrangements, which is clearly how the airline want it at this time.

Personally I wouldn't want to prevent someone who for example, has been plonked in a middle seat at the back, from taking up an empty exit row seat if its available. Seems rather selfish and even spiteful to me. Then there are passengers who for example might have a tight connection and would benefit from being further forward, I'd prefer to help give someone else a better day. And hopefully one day I'll benefit similarly.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I never seem to get any benefits of TS on my flights. The empty seats always seem to be in other rows.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:33 am

Immediately prior to the start of boarding, the crew place red-coloured head-rest covers onto the seats that are officially designated as blocked, thus pre-empting any debate as to whether a passenger can unilaterally re-seat themselves there? That would be no different to the tray table being lowered to indicate the middle seats in CE are not available for occupation, would it?
Seriously - you think on a 35 minute turnaround the crew have time for that little game?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just thought I would mention a follow up. Just flew LAX-LHR on UD of hi J 744 with partner (she and I are both GGL/CCR). Three empty seats on UD including one next to each of us (we both like windows in CW so had 64A and K) which had been blocked throughout (seats next to us blocked in row 1 of NCE-LHR a few days ago, again, we could not even pick the blocked seats ourselves) and a third one, an aisle as well, 61J.

After boarding, a crew member came up with a passenger who had clearly asked if she could be reseated in UD. SCCM was on stairway and asked by the crew member if it would be ok for her to offer the passenger the seat next to me. SCCM looked at her ipad and said "it's fine to move her but I have two Gold Guest list passengers in 64A and 64K so please put her in 61J instead". *

I did not have a chance to ask the SCCM if she knew the seats had been blocked (I remember CIHY mentioned that crew do not get that information) or had just assumed it based on status, but either way, the comment was clear and explicit. Just thought that this was an interesting data point (and her prioritising keeping the seats next to us empty was much appreciated, and spoilt us by enabling us to have dinner together whilst then returning to our windows for a more cocooned sleeping experience. I fully realise that the empty seat is not a guarantee, but this was much appreciated and golden ticket will follow.

* The passenger did not like 61J after all so went back down! (taking the spare blanket and headsets that were on 64B on the way but that is another matter! )
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 13, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
IMHO, the SLF should have plonked themslves down next to you. I would have done.
You didn't pay for 2 seats, and the 2nd is not a benefit from BA's published benefits.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
IMHO, the SLF should have plonked themslves down next to you. I would have done.
You didn't pay for 2 seats, and the 2nd is not a benefit from BA's published benefits.
And I'm sure that many will agree with you. On the other hand, it seems that the SCCM's position is that the person in 61K had not paid for two seats either and that since there were three empty seats of similar nature (61J, 64B, 64J) to choose from and one customer who wanted to move to an upper deck seat, she decided to give her the seat next to the lower BAEC status passenger rather than the higher BAEC status. After all, free seats are not a published right for anyone but something that mostly everyone enjoys and she chose to reseat the passenger in a way that mirrors the allocation made by theoretical seating.

In any case, I already gave my arguments and don't plan to repeat them but merely wanted to provide a new factual data point which does not correspond to any of the ones reported thus far.
cosmo74 likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 13, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.