Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways flight simulator “trip” report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I know the subject of the flight simulators has been covered here before, and that there are periodic group outings there, but thought a greenhorn’s impressions may be interesting.

I had one hour in the 747 simulator in late December last year.

We had an ex-pilot as the instructor who showed us around the other simulators prior to starting. As part of this we got to meet the head of flight training who happened to be doing a pilot assessment and watched pre-takeoff drill in the 787 simulator. It was very interesting to see the different approaches and evolution of the cockpits from some of the older aircraft to the more modern. I have to say the graphics on the modern simulators were very impressive compared to the poor old 747 ones also.

The briefing prior to the simulator session was very interesting, going into a good amount of interesting detail about the instruments, basic aeronautics and landing procedure. I wasn’t expecting this so much, but it was a really key part to the day and added great value.

From the start, the experience in the simulator was excellent. We took off from Heathrow, flew low over central London to see the sights and buzzed my house (near London Bridge). After that we explored the collision warning system with the help of canary wharf and the banking ability of the plane — much more manoeuvrable than i expected it to be.

As we were in the right place, the first landing we attempted was one at London City — ending up with a touch and go for obvious reasons!

Over the next hour of landings i slowly took over more and more of the controls and added slight wind etc to increase the challenge. All of this was done in an excellent manner, really building up confidence. One of the things i remain surprised by is the tiller! I can’t believe that a whole jumbo can be directed by what seems initially like a manual car window opener.

The realism of the simulator is (unsurprisingly i guess) incredible in terms of feel and sound you get. When landing and applying the reverse thrust while bumping over runway lights the experience feels exactly like that in real life.

In addition to landings, we explored the collision avoidance system (ignoring our instructions so getting a nice close view of the underside of another place), the navigation system and did what i think was a category 3 landing — we saw the runway about a second before hitting it!

In summary, great fun from start to finish and I can’t recommend it highly enough to anyone of any ability that may be thinking of booking.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
So is worth the Ł449 price tag? I am deciding between the 747 and 777.

I wish they give TP for this.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by woodwoodwood
I wish they give TP for this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So is worth the Ł449 price tag? I am deciding between the 747 and 777.
1. Yes.
2. 747, for the same reason as the real-life ones: if you are interested in flying them, fly them while they're still here. The 777 will be around for rather longer.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

So is worth the Ł449 price tag? .
I was lucky to have got my voucher during a 10% off offer (before last Christmas). It was that discount which swayed me into booking, but I am now planning to return paying full price!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
When I saw the word 'redeem' on their website, I thought they meant we can use avois. Then realised it meant vouchers. I am sold by all your comments though, will look into booking one for summer.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I think they'd go bankrupt if they let FTers redeem their avios for this. They wouldn't get another hard revenue booking for years ;-)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
The price tag is IMO well worth it - although I've never had to pay! I have a mate who's a training captain on the A320 fleet and there is a way in which they can take family and friends in at quiet times for a very reduced rate so I've had quite a few chances to have a go mostly on Sunday evenings or in the middle of the night.

On the last occasion he threw in an engine fire on approach to FNC in high winds and by the time we landed having had to abandon the initial approach and go round for a while I was probably sweating enough to put the fire out. It's certainly real and can be totally exhilarating and scare the sh*t out of you all within seconds.

Go for it.
Jagboi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.