Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios First class availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC
The standard board response in these circumstances is - have you condideed flying yo another destination entirely and/or on totally different dates...?

I’ve virtually given up trying to find premium redemptions/upgrades because the availability is so poor.
355F1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bafan
I’ve virtually given up trying to find premium redemptions/upgrades because the availability is so poor.
It does depend on where you're going. I'm planning a possible trip to South Africa for later this year. My main difficulty is trying to decide which of the many dates on either routes would work best for our trip, given the ample availability. And that's planning to use a 2-4-1 in F.
SaraJH likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
At the risk of hijacking the thread (though on the same topic)..

So one F seat on each IAD - LHR flight is not likely to increase ? Ie. it may be the full advance offering for redemption and nothing will change even if people move around their flights etc.

In this case am I better off abandoning my thrice daily checking (unless I wanted to keep looking for CW) and until much closer to the date of the flight (June) when more F redemption seats may be loaded?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Once a day checking is sufficient - the only time extra availability comes on stream is in the unlikely event of some held but unbooked reservations being cleared down in the middle of the day, which isn't a daily occurence. But it could be at any point, however the 6 month time frame seems about right time to get the best availability, bearing in mind they aren't part of the 355 day release programme.

If you have to travel on one particular route on a limited set of dates in one particular non-economy cabin then Avios probably isn't a good idea. That said there is at least one First redemption available on every single day in August on LON-NYC in both directions, all but a few days in July, and most days in September. In the case of Washington there is at least 120 days out of 355 days of availability. It isn't like searching for hens' teeth.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I don't know the MIA market at all, but I am struggling a bit to see why January would be peak time?
I for one understand that you were making a wee funny here!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I for one understand that you were making a wee funny here!
Oops, I think I may have missed the intended sarcasm completely upthread
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:41 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/04/02/british-airways-first-class-avios-availability-gone/

Where has all BA’s First Class Avios availability gone?

2 APRIL 2018 BY ROB 206 COMMENTSFor the last few days, ba.com has been showing virtually no Avios availability in First Class for 2019. I sat on the story because I thought it may be an IT glitch, but it does now seem that ‘something’ is up.

The ‘something’ is potentially linked to the Avios and British Airways Executive Club changes discussed here by Alex Cruz, although the problem with that conspiracy theory is that Cruz said that the IT required would not be in place until the year end.

What is odd is that not all First Class availability has been removed.

As of last night, there was still 2019 availability on the following routes (E&OE):
  • Abu Dhabi
  • Bahrain
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Doha
  • Dubai
  • Kuwait
  • Riyadh
  • St Lucia
  • Tel Aviv

It doesn’t take a genius to spot the pattern:

Middle East and Caribbean routes retain F Avios availability in 2019

North, South and Latin America, Africa and Asia routes have no F Avios availability in 2019

If you assume that this is not an IT issue and is not linked to reduced availability ahead of a big cash sale (but I normally get notification of those) then you can only assume that British Airways is trying to introduce some immediate changes to Avios redemptions. This would be in advance of the planned bigger moves, presumably ones that can be done now with the current IT infrastructure.

Options could be:

A major reduction in routes with First Class from 1st January (but if it was being cut, the Caribbean routes would be on the list and New York would not, and in any event seats are being sold for cash)

First Class to be relaunched from 1st January as an uber-premium service which will be so exclusive that BA does not want it tarnished by anyone unwilling to pay for it (but, if so, it would be put on the Middle East routes as a priority since BA is losing premium business to Emirates and Etihad, and those are still open for redemption – and anyway, does anyone believe that BA is capable of offering a super-premium First Class service like Lufthansa or Air France?)

First Class redemptions restricted to certain groups only (eg British Airways Silver and Gold members, potentially no oneworld partners or Blue / Bronze) – the issue here is that this strategy doesn’t have any benefit to BA, since BA First Class is not exactly a premium product on the world stage. This also makes no financial sense, because IAG makes a lot of money if a Blue member transfers 150,000 Amex points to book a BA First Class redemption, and zero money if a status member redeems 150,000 miles earned from flying.

‘Dynamic pricing’ to be introduced for First Class ahead of its introduction in other classes (but that would require IT capability which Cruz implied was not yet available)

…. or something else?

Whatever it is, British Airways will need to come clean very quickly as it is now clear that ‘something’ is up.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Widely discussed here...

Did BA pull all 2019 F Avios Availability?

Originally Posted by damon88

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/04/02/british-airways-first-class-avios-availability-gone/

2 APRIL 2018 BY ROB 206 COMMENTSFor the last few days, ba.com has been showing virtually no Avios availability in First Class for 2019. I sat on the story because I thought it may be an IT glitch, but it does now seem that ‘something’ is up.

The ‘something’ is potentially linked to the Avios and British Airways Executive Club changes discussed here by Alex Cruz, although the problem with that conspiracy theory is that Cruz said that the IT required would not be in place until the year end.

What is odd is that not all First Class availability has been removed.

As of last night, there was still 2019 availability on the following routes (E&OE):
  • Abu Dhabi
  • Bahrain
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Doha
  • Dubai
  • Kuwait
  • Riyadh
  • St Lucia
  • Tel Aviv

It doesn’t take a genius to spot the pattern:

Middle East and Caribbean routes retain F Avios availability in 2019

North, South and Latin America, Africa and Asia routes have no F Avios availability in 2019

If you assume that this is not an IT issue and is not linked to reduced availability ahead of a big cash sale (but I normally get notification of those) then you can only assume that British Airways is trying to introduce some immediate changes to Avios redemptions. This would be in advance of the planned bigger moves, presumably ones that can be done now with the current IT infrastructure.

Options could be:

A major reduction in routes with First Class from 1st January (but if it was being cut, the Caribbean routes would be on the list and New York would not, and in any event seats are being sold for cash)

First Class to be relaunched from 1st January as an uber-premium service which will be so exclusive that BA does not want it tarnished by anyone unwilling to pay for it (but, if so, it would be put on the Middle East routes as a priority since BA is losing premium business to Emirates and Etihad, and those are still open for redemption – and anyway, does anyone believe that BA is capable of offering a super-premium First Class service like Lufthansa or Air France?)

First Class redemptions restricted to certain groups only (eg British Airways Silver and Gold members, potentially no oneworld partners or Blue / Bronze) – the issue here is that this strategy doesn’t have any benefit to BA, since BA First Class is not exactly a premium product on the world stage. This also makes no financial sense, because IAG makes a lot of money if a Blue member transfers 150,000 Amex points to book a BA First Class redemption, and zero money if a status member redeems 150,000 miles earned from flying.

‘Dynamic pricing’ to be introduced for First Class ahead of its introduction in other classes (but that would require IT capability which Cruz implied was not yet available)

…. or something else?

Whatever it is, British Airways will need to come clean very quickly as it is now clear that ‘something’ is up.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Originally Posted by damon88

Widely discussed here...

Did BA pull all 2019 F Avios Availability?
And a post in that thread this morning says:-
Originally Posted by ringingup
Availability is back! I have checked USA and Asia so far. It looks all normal.

Prices seem to be as before.
ringingup likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Hello all,

Am contemplating redeeming AA miles for F seats on HND-LHR Friday August 2. There are currently 4 seats available (with none selected and F9 according to Expert Flyer) but I need 5. Any thoughts on odds that if I take the 4 now, another will open up? Would need to fly with the family so would hate to get stuck paying cash out of pocket for an F ticket to do so.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it’s extremely unlikely for five F award seats to come up. Frankly I’m surprised you are seeing four!
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Hello all,

Am contemplating redeeming AA miles for F seats on HND-LHR Friday August 2. There are currently 4 seats available (with none selected and F9 according to Expert Flyer) but I need 5. Any thoughts on odds that if I take the 4 now, another will open up? Would need to fly with the family so would hate to get stuck paying cash out of pocket for an F ticket to do so.
Hi,

Could you do split cabins ( some in F and some in J) if avios available

Whilst more may turn up I agree with LondonElite that it could be unlikely

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:37 am

Thanks all! Just as I was resigning myself to it not working out, one more check found 5 first class Avios awards available so I snatched them up!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Thanks all! Just as I was resigning myself to it not working out, one more check found 5 first class Avios awards available so I snatched them up!
Hi,

Congratulations! Well done!.

HND-LHR is a relatively early deaprture so you may want to check how you would get to HND from your hotel on the day of departure if you do not want to pay for a taxi ( about Y8000 from the centre of tokyo IIRC)
The JAL F lounge is very good and there is a nice shopping street and outdoor observation deck prior to security

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
HND-LHR is a relatively early departure
This is putting it kindly...for my family it's basically the crack of dawn! An 8:50am out of NRT would have been a non-starter...

Fortunately we live in Tokyo so will have the trip planned down to the minute and probably won't have a chance to visit the lounge (sacrilegious, I know...). Love the observation deck at HND.

Now I just have to make sure the iPads are fully loaded for the kids to keep them occupied in F for a 12-hour ostensibly daytime flight. Selected the five seats on the right side from back to front and have already requested the children's meals for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.