Porters at T5

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Porters at T5

Has anyone used the porters at T5 before? I know you can pre-book them for about 20 but I have a vague memory of it being just 10 cash if you just grab one when you arrive? Would love to hear of anyone who has used them? We have a baby in a pushchair, 4 large cases, hand luggage and a car seat all of which we'll need help with, plus want to get it wrapped before checking in.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The signage on their trolleys say "20 inclusive of service" so I would take that as a good guide to the price.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Ah great, thanks Flatlander. I'll just pre-book one
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:04 am

I thought they have 2 different sizes of trolley with different prices on each? IIRC there was a 10 option of a smaller trolley when I was there a few weeks back.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I didn't see any smaller ones, but I do think the 20 was stated on a fairly large trolley, so that may well be so. The large one would hold around 6 large suitcases for a level load, so mediamonkey might be needing that.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by mediamonkey
We have a baby in a pushchair, 4 large cases, hand luggage and a car seat all of which we'll need help with, plus want to get it wrapped before checking in.

Makes for a nice quiet quiet flight I suppose...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

All the LOL x
dcmike likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by aardvarkdave
I thought they have 2 different sizes of trolley with different prices on each? IIRC there was a 10 option of a smaller trolley when I was there a few weeks back.
I saw one mentioning 10 next to the BA baggage desk by the carousels. Did think it wasn't that bad a price, but depends on what you actually get for it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Apologize for my ignorance but how does one prebook a porter? Am I correct to assume that they meet you at your baggage carousel? What about curbside at T5 on departure, any possible pre-booking? I realize that departing schedules are less predictable.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
here is the actual page from the LHR website

And for ARL the actual provider.

The prebboked charge is 20 for 1-10 pieces of luggage.

The 'on the day' is 10 for 1-5 pieces - but there is no guarantee a porter will be available when you want one.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Porters T5

Often when I am having my last cigarette outside on the departures level prior to going through security I see the Porters and Trolleys standing idle.

Does anyone actually use them at a cost of 30 (including service) to convey their bags a few yards to the check in ?

Seems particularly perverse as they are positioned in front of the free trolleys ?
Old May 21, 2024, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Butts
Seems particularly perverse as they are positioned in front of the free trolleys ?
From memory they're also positioned at the First Wing end of the concourse? There are many insanely wealthy people who go through that bit of the terminal for whom 30 is small change.

Too posh to push They know their customers!
1Aturnleft and TedToToe like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TraumaDoc
From memory they're also positioned at the First Wing end of the concourse? There are many insanely wealthy people who go through that bit of the terminal for whom 30 is small change.

Too posh to push They know their customers!
I've never seen anyone use them all the times I've been stood imbibing pure gold !!
Old May 21, 2024, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Butts
I've never seen anyone use them all the times I've been stood imbibing pure gold !!
Petite single passengers with multiple checked bags primarily. I know a couple of people who regularly use the service. As referenced above, too posh to push would pretty much cover it... alas I'm a pusher!
Old May 21, 2024, 9:18 pm

My mum uses them but she is 90 and travels with far too many bags and really can’t push her three heavy bags very far nor can she lift them onto the scale at check in so for her it makes great sense
BA or bust and kileysmom like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.