Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Saltire74

Didn’t BA have a route like that going to Paris too?

S

i am am pretty sure there was a NCL-CDG-SOU-CDG-NCL flight but I am sure it went to/from somewhere else from SOU. It was a Dash 8 if I recall as I flew SOU-CDG one Christmas Eve.

There was was also a SOU-BHX- points north ATP flight. This was usually in Dan Air colours if I recall. Oh this is bring back so many fond memories.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by lukew
I have the 1996 Summer paper timetable.

You are correct that there was a BA5360 from GLA to BHX at 06:45 arriving at 08:00 operated by an ATP. The service then continued on the same flight number to FRA at 08:40 arriving at 11:20, operated by a 737.

On the return BA5361 left FRA at 12:00 and arrived BHX 12:35 (737). The same flight number continued to GLA at 13:25 arriving 14:40 (ATP). BA5407 did depart 17:45 and was a 737.
Thanks! Just trying to keep my BA97 right, and I wasn't 100% sure that what I had noted was correct!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
I did very little flying back then and what I did was on BMI, but fascinating to see that timetable from 93, that smoking would generally be permitted! Tbh, if have thought it would be banned by then, but a quick search reveals that in fact that was not true on BA until 1998 (although some flights had been non smoking since 1990 from what I read)

Due to the vagaries of age, I genuinely can't recall if the flights I took in the 90s were non smoking or still permitted. I think non, but would not bet the farm on it.

​​​​​​
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
And also much thanks to those who post these historical artifacts, I am unashamedly a geek and find them very interesting
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:04 pm

When boarding passes added a splash of color or colour!
adrianlondon and JAXBA like this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:09 pm

First and Club,NO flat beds back then!
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:13 pm

Pack likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:15 pm

It was a classy airline way back.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:44 pm

I Loved First class then.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Some BA regional timetables including a bespoke timetable for Liverpool, Bristol and Cardiff operations. Most of these flights were Viscounts or 1-11s.
My first BA flight was the Trident (call sign Albion!) from NCL to LHR, connecting to their new Tristar service to Bahrain via Amman. Being 16 at the time I was blown away by the whole experience. I managed to pick up some older timetables including the Bahrain-specific timetable that showed the SSC service to SIN. BAH was a really busy transit port for both BA and Qantas at the time. On some days two or three 747s would position through the airport.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:01 am

A look at BA’s 747 Combi and 747-400 upper deck economy

Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:21 am

I hadn’t realised BA had a 747 Combi!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by squawk
I hadn’t realised BA had a 747 Combi!
Me neither. There is an interesting thread on pprune about the BA Combi's

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-591549.html
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
As ever, I must be one of the oldest here ... I remember clearly the non-reclining F seats, when they were 2 abreast on, I think, the 747's (although that's a bit hazy). The centre single F seats on the 767 were, then, something of a wonder as they were - IIRC - the only single seats on any aircraft in any class. However, I am open to correction on that.

I also remember the small and cramped 'supersonic class' (referred to above) seats on Concorde. Comfort has certainly improved, is nothing else !

I can't remember when they phased giving our gifts (Waterford Crystal and the like) in F. Can anyone remember that ?

What about the old IFE, with a central screen and on which the sound came through earphones fed by plastic tubes rather than wires ?!

Someone above mentioned that Gold EC members were more highly valued 20 yrs ago. Having been Gold for at least that long, I have to say that I really don't remember a time when status made much more practical difference to the way one was treated (other than a more consistent greeting from the CSD) than it does now.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
The timetable seems to suggest that Gold card holders and 'ordinary' First passengers could get into the Concorde lounge at Terminal 4. I thought it was just for Concorde passengers.

Also, the geography on the route maps is funny - I know it's down to printing issues. LBA is by the sea, GLA is north of EDI, NAP is inland and SNN seems to be for seaplanes only.
The T4 lounge was on multiple levels and as you entered the pavilion the Concorde Room was directly in front of you. R F and gold were allowed in.

It it wasn’t huge and a full BA1 or BA3 could make it a bit cramped but noting like today’s overcrowding. There was very good food and wine and the staff were exceptional. Downstairs the spa originally boasted a steam room certainly, possibly a sauna and a number of treatment rooms with full massage tables.
todays experience is provided to a great many more people but it’s not the experience it once was

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.