Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
As ever, I must be one of the oldest here ... I remember clearly the non-reclining F seats, when they were 2 abreast on, I think, the 747's (although that's a bit hazy). The centre single F seats on the 767 were, then, something of a wonder as they were - IIRC - the only single seats on any aircraft in any class. However, I am open to correction on that.

I also remember the small and cramped 'supersonic. class' (referred to above) seats on Concorde. Comfort has certainly improved, is nothing else !

I can't remember when they phased giving our gifts (Waterford Crystal and the like) in F. Can anyone remember that ?

What about the old IFE, with a central screen and on which the sound came through earphones fed by plastic tubes rather than wires ?!

Someone above mentioned that Gold EC members were more highly valued 20 yrs ago. Having been Gold for at least that long, I have to say that I really don't remember a time when status made much more practical difference to the way one was treated (other than a more consistent greeting from the CSD) than it does now.
the two abreast recliners in F were great at the time and many a happy conversation was had on the trek to HKG. The food was spectacular though with full silver service, beef carved at you seat. They had a great wine cellar too. Chateaux Talbot was a favourite.
I once beside a cabinet minister who is now a lord on a SIN LHR and the crew tipped 6 glasses of champagne into his lap with me getting splattered. He sat for much of the flight under the screen while it flickered it’s IFE offering at us

Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
What an absolutely fascinating Thread! ^

Despite having flown nearly 500,000 miles in my lifetime, we hardly touched BA until 1995 (Y to IAD) and 2007 (W to IAD) - the intervening years were Virgin and MaxJet!! It was only in 2008 that we discovered BA J (to IAD again) and became regular BA J flyers after joining FT in 2010.

So all this 'historic' stuff makes me realise what we've missed!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
WT on upper deck??
Indeed! I flew WT to Grenada, upstairs on a 747. Mid nineties for sure, and my first ever long haul flight.

I have a BA timetable too from around this time. I note in the last picture there's still a place for the travel agents stamp!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I love this thread!! :-)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: GGL
In nostalgic mode, I recall a fabulous trip out to Australia after Christmas in 1998 to watch the ashes with a wonderful crew on LHR-SIN. If I may reminisce briefly, the CSD was an ex-mid fleet chap called David with whom I shared a date of birth, and the purser in F was that Jeeves type of knowing butler only to be found on BA called Nöel. I spent most of the flight in the galley (for some reason) talking to a merchant of silver plate from Birmingham by the name of Trevor, while Noel assisted us in working through the supply of Laurent Perrier rosé.

My question, to CIHY probably, is I took the entire crew out to a restaurant of their choice, which was some Chinese street food place called fat something or other, does anyone know what it is called? I remember it as surprisingly good, and I'd quite like to return for old time's sake. Does it still exist?

Last edited by Mixbury; Jan 28, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
That was very kind of you.
The old restaurant is closed but this is the new one. Wing Seong Fatty's Restaurant.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Qatar Airways

First and Club,NO flat beds back then!
Todays FTers wouldn’t have survived that.
Seat number allocated at the airport? Wha.....?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
The old restaurant is closed but this is the new one. Wing Seong Fatty's Restaurant.
That would be the former Fatty's in Albert Street, of fond memory from the 60s! Adjacent to Bugis Street, and a frequent port of call for seriously good Chinese food. Pavement seating much nicer than indoors!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Sealink

Todays FTers wouldn’t have survived that.
Seat number allocated at the airport? Wha.....?
I'm old enough to remember checking-in and then having to go to another desk to get a seat allocated to you. A large piece of paper with a sticker for each seat on the plane.
JAXBA and missdimeaner like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by timma1971
I've always found old airline timetables fascineting so when I saw this thread, just had to upload some scans of BA winter 1998 - 1999 timetable.

A few interesting remarks:
  1. announcing purchase of 188 Airbus "regional" jets
  2. some new partners, including Finnair
  3. over 30 UK destinations
  4. BEC, BN1, DHT, EMB, J31, J41, love those old props...
  5. free transfer between LHR and LGW
A few teasers below but for more, including all London departures, check my album at: https://www.flyertalk.com/g/album/9057217

I'm reminded by the timetables here that you could once fly 757 MAN-LGW for a short time, which was a nice change from the 737s used. All very different now!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
If someone has a July 1996 timetable to check some flight numbers and times I have, I'd be most appreciative.

I have noted a BA5360 GLA to BHX at 06:45 and the same flight number continuing on to FRA at 08:35.
The return would be perhaps the 11:00 BA5361 from FRA to BHX, and the BA5407 to GLA at 17:45.

It definitely was an ATP on the Domestics, and was a jet (perhaps a 737) on the Frankfurts.
according to my 1996 timetable which has been retrieved from the loft it was the ATP to BHX and then a 737 to FRA. The timetable has the departure ex BHX at 08.40. Your Glasgow departure time is correct.

Coming back the BA5361 departed FRA at 12.00 and arrived back in BHX at 12.35. The BA5361 then left BHX as a ATP at 13.25 arriving in Glasgow at 14.40. The BA5407 departed BHX at 17.45 and arrived in Glasgow at 18.45. It was a 737. The 5407 originated in Paris operating CDG-BHX-GLA.

There was a very handy flight summary at the back of the timetable that gave you all the permutations including the catering!

Last edited by martin102; Jan 29, 2018 at 4:28 am Reason: added atp
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by martin102
according to my 1996 timetable which has been retrieved from the loft it was the ATP to BHX and then a 737 to FRA. The timetable has the departure ex BHX at 08.40. Your Glasgow departure time is correct.

Coming back the BA5361 departed FRA at 12.00 and arrived back in BHX at 12.35. The BA5361 then left BHX as a ATP at 13.25 arriving in Glasgow at 14.40. The BA5407 departed BHX at 17.45 and arrived in Glasgow at 18.45. It was a 737. The 5407 originated in Paris operating CDG-BHX-GLA.

There was a very handy flight summary at the back of the timetable that gave you all the permutations including the catering!
Thanks for going up to the loft to hunt that out!
What a wonderful resource FT is, it's amazing the information that's out there

Originally Posted by Sealink
I have a BA timetable too from around this time. I note in the last picture there's still a place for the travel agents stamp!
Stamping those very boxes (and putting a sticker on the front) was my very first job, aged about 14, in my dad's branch of a travel agent. £2 an hour wasn't bad!
irishguy28 and Sealink like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Ah, yes. The 90s were peak travel for me. Two thirds Asia/Dunnunder, and one third Americas.

The First recliners, great service, excellent fillet beef, and too much Lynch Bages. (Much better than the Talbot, IMHO).

You weren't allowed too much beef, as the CSD took his (and CSDs then were mainly male) large piece of fillet home.

The Sin Pax services supervisor, Ishahak, was a real star.

And us Golds got in to the Concorde lounge.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: GGL
Well it was one of those party atmosphere flights between Christmas and new year, I'd flown with a few of them many times, and crews were different in those days.

Aha, thank you, I may swing by next time, I see it is run by a son.

Originally Posted by T8191
That would be the former Fatty's in Albert Street, of fond memory from the 60s! Adjacent to Bugis Street, and a frequent port of call for seriously good Chinese food. Pavement seating much nicer than indoors!
Also thank you, and yes, I remember the food as good, and that we dined on the pavement.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m surprised nobody has yet mentioned the old West London Air Terminal, from whence I travelled (having deposited my luggage) from LHR to SIN in 1967

OK, it was not on BA, but a British Eagle Britannia trooping charter. Nostalgic, though! Curiously, ‘cos dem’s da rules, my parents had to drive me from Richmond (10 miles from LHR?) into Central London (20 miles.) to drop me off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.