Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
This is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for posting!

I have a 1992 timetable somewhere which is truly pre-internet and shows all sorts of delightful little intricacies that seem completely old hat now. Things like lists of airline offices in major cities etc.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Wow! Yes I am think that I am in the picture, believe it or not. I'm gobsmacked. Yes, those pictures take me back and I do know some of those in them,

I am just so happy that I did all that in the days when we were given the best to offer and not the rubbish that calls itself First Class now. The same applies to BA and AA. Their F and J were wonderful and now it's cheap mascaraing as gourmet. Yes, we carved the Chateaubriand in front of the passenger and the wines were Chablis or vintage Bordeaux. The cheese came from Paxton and Whitfield (the Stilton was one of the best that I have ever eaten). If you didn't like meat there was Lobster. Vegetarianism in all its manifestations was not really called for a great deal - but we had plenty of Vegetable and could make something to please - though I do not recall having to do that often.The choice was abundant and we never seemed to run out of things. Maybe that's why we went to the wall

We were not paid a fortune but we felt appreciated by company and passengers alike.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
I seem to remember flying NCL - MAN on Gill Air. Did they fly that route or am I losing my marbles?
They did do wet lease charters to Air Uk for their STN - CDG route. They flew ATR72s (?).
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:34 am

Very First Virgin uniform.

2nd Male VS Uniform black
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Wow! Yes I am think that I am in the picture, believe it or not. I'm gobsmacked. Yes, those pictures take me back and I do know some of those in them,

I am just so happy that I did all that in the days when we were given the best to offer and not the rubbish that calls itself First Class now. The same applies to BA and AA. Their F and J were wonderful and now it's cheap mascaraing as gourmet. Yes, we carved the Chateaubriand in front of the passenger and the wines were Chablis or vintage Bordeaux. The cheese came from Paxton and Whitfield (the Stilton was one of the best that I have ever eaten). If you didn't like meat there was Lobster. Vegetarianism in all its manifestations was not really called for a great deal - but we had plenty of Vegetable and could make something to please - though I do not recall having to do that often.The choice was abundant and we never seemed to run out of things. Maybe that's why we went to the wall

We were not paid a fortune but we felt appreciated by company and passengers alike.
you are are wealth of infomation and should create your own detailed memories.
For me,would be so interesting and exciting.
do you remember when Virgin started out and how the other blue chip carriers scoffed at this young maiden?
rens likes this.

Last edited by Qatar Airways; Jan 31, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And I doubt they were all virgins
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BA silver,
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
They did do wet lease charters to Air Uk for their STN - CDG route. They flew ATR72s (?).
Took their STN-CDG flights in May 1998 and yes it was AT72 operated. Looking that up I see I took A320 flights from LGW to Malta and Marrakech in 2005/2006 with GB Airways. Were they not also part of British Airways?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by rjhcambs
Took their STN-CDG flights in May1998 and yes it was AT72 operated. Looking that up I see I took A320 flights from LGW to Malta and Marrakech in 2005/2006 with GB Airways. Were they not also part of British Airways?
No, they were quite separate, though you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise. They were a Franchise and BA did all their sales and marketing. The crews were not on BAs payroll. I and many thought that they were a classier act and were sorry when GB sold to the Clockwork Orange.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Qatar Airways

Very First Virgin uniform.

2nd Male VS Uniform black

you are are wealth of infomation and should create your own detailed memories.
For me,would be so interesting and exciting.
do you remember when Virgin started out and how the other blue chip carriers scoffed at this young maiden?
Scoffed at? They tried to destroy them. I am no Branson fan but he stood up to Lord King and won. More power to him!
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by T8191
I’m surprised nobody has yet mentioned the old West London Air Terminal...
...on the Cromwell Road. That's where my parents worked, and met, in the late 70s. They were in Reservations, in the tower above the terminal (now flats above Sainsbury's). I'm a BAby...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Qatar Airways
...do you remember when Virgin started out and how the other blue chip carriers scoffed at this young maiden?
VS roll-out was about the same time as my own debut, but I remember the fallout from Dirty Tricks lasted into the 90s, with both airlines paying each other damages [?]. Personally, I take Lord King's side, but I'm biased...

I think the hatchet was kind of blunted, but not buried, since that VS 340 suffered a collapsed landing gear on arrival at LHR, and BA played a part in handling the immediate response and recovery. I remember seeing some kind of comms where VS thanked BA for their help.

Eddington and Branson had some kind of working relationship too, and they appeared together for a Y2K bug preparedness promo.

Now of course, we're back to WW suggesting knees in groin... all the more amusing when you realise WW worked for SRB at VS in between EI/BA...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I used to love those timetables and would always pick one up. I wonder where the Marrakesh flight stopped at.
Gibraltar!
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Am I reading that correctly, BA used to fly twice daily to Madison, Wisconsin?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by hartwith
Am I reading that correctly, BA used to fly twice daily to Madison, Wisconsin?
Says they are flying to ORD, then you connect on AA.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by JAXBA
...on the Cromwell Road. That's where my parents worked, and met, in the late 70s. They were in Reservations, in the tower above the terminal (now flats above Sainsbury's). I'm a BAby...
So romantic!
Sealink and JAXBA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.