Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
B747-100 12 CW seats.
B747-200 30 WT seats.
B744-400 66 WT seats.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:30 pm

Virgin still has Economy on its upper deck (now just the leisure flights)

extremely pleasant way to travel when it wasn't full, otherwise much prefer to be downstairs with a bit more space
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:50 pm

Location: Relocated to YYJ in 2017, got bored and moved to YVR
Programs: AC - Elite 50K, BA - down to Bronze, SQ - down to Silver, IHG - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond
Brings back memories. In 1997 I was flying LHR-AMS on the 0705 every Monday, back on Friday night every week. I seem to remember that the 757s from T4 had about 24 rows of Club and 10 rows of Economy at the back - where I sat because my employer had a policy of buying only full-fare economy tickets. They still managed to serve a couple of bottles of wine with the snack to keep me happy. And there was one evening when 2 757 flights were cancelled, so I got to fly from AMS-LHR in a 747 which they managed to rustle up at short notice.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've always found old airline timetables fascineting so when I saw this thread, just had to upload some scans of BA winter 1998 - 1999 timetable.

A few interesting remarks:
  1. announcing purchase of 188 Airbus "regional" jets
  2. some new partners, including Finnair
  3. over 30 UK destinations
  4. BEC, BN1, DHT, EMB, J31, J41, love those old props...
  5. free transfer between LHR and LGW
A few teasers below but for more, including all London departures, check my album at: https://www.flyertalk.com/g/album/9057217

shefgab likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Apart from anything else, I'm nostalgic of actually having printed timetables. I still miss them badly and no internet capability, however wonderful, will ever completely replace them in my mind. I'm still a pen and paper guy I guess.
Markie, JAXBA, RoyalSwazi and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I bought a 1997 BA Timetable on eBay to replace one I'd long since lost. I used to fly BA once a year back then between New York and London (sadly always WT) and sometimes onward to Europe so this is a BA I remember very well. I have shared some highlights here.

Only one of those partners still flies

Did you say over 50 different movies in First?

I did like the square dot branding for Club

When CCR meant Concorde

The old Executive Club

Speaking of the Concorde, and a really CW heavy 777

Three class DC-10!

747-100 and 200

The 767 that was a mainstay of smaller US airports

And the early website.

Hope you enjoyed.

Thanks for the memories. I was flying a lot at that stage including the magical Concorde experience.

With regard to the 50 videos.......if I recall the individual video players were beginning to be phased out. They had a box of mini videos which you could select and when they were introduced they were light years ahead of anyone else IFE. The problems however were that there were 50 videos not 50 movies. Popular items would have multiple units. The video players also had an issue with chewing the tapes and sometimes over heating. There is a famous scene from the first mission impossible movie when the tape self destructs and he is seated in a smoking seat!!!

I used to love flicking through those timetables and dreaming up places to visit just because of the name. happy days!!!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
America West had commercial alliances with several airlines, they were also codeshared with Continental around the same timeframe and handled CO flights at some airports.

I fondly remember a totally unauthorised business class seat on Continental thanks to America West. I think that was the first time I sat in a seat that was at the pointy end, as a student aged about 20.

I had booked an economy seat from Albuquerque, via Houston, to London (Gatwick, of course, as Continental was not one of the favoured Bermuda II airlines allowed at Heathrow). I had enough status with CO for a free upgrade to business from ABQ to IAH (only). The young lady behind the America West checkin desk diligently upgraded me on the ABQ-IAH flight with the window seat I requested, but then had some trouble getting me the desired window seat IAH-LGW. I could see over the counter that the aisle seat she had already found me was low-numbered enough to be in the BusinessFirst cabin, so I reassured her that was no problem at all. Not at all, I would like to repeat

In those halcyon days before rigidly programmed IT systems when agents could seat you wherever they liked, I got away with it and greatly enjoyed a large, comfortable seat in an almost-deserted cabin at the front of the DC-10. For added surreality I had been to the National Atomic Museum in Albuquerque (while it was still inside the Kirtland Air Force Base, home to many US nuclear weapons) which is essentially The Museum of The Bomb and was able to watch Dr Strangelove while someone brought me an endless supply of drinks and snacks (as it felt), thinking several times "Hey I've seen one of those [nuclear bombs] recently!".
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Yes, I remember these very well. Used to collect them on my travels through LHR or wherever as a kid....always enjoyed leafing through the timetables and spotting the "SSC" designation and looking at the seat maps.

Back then Executive Club had some unusual benefits, Gold came with complimentary travel insurance!
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Fantastic stuff CMK10 - thanks for sharing!

I had no idea the 1995 First flat beds were fitted to the DC-10 and non-400 747s.

There was still (as of September 2017) old literature in the NCL Terraces lounge - see my report here:

Pictorial Lounge Review: NCL British Airways Terraces Lounge
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I know that the timetable shows it but I cannot remember the flatbed on the classics.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:46 pm

The timetable seems to suggest that Gold card holders and 'ordinary' First passengers could get into the Concorde lounge at Terminal 4. I thought it was just for Concorde passengers.

Also, the geography on the route maps is funny - I know it's down to printing issues. LBA is by the sea, GLA is north of EDI, NAP is inland and SNN seems to be for seaplanes only.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Is this the 767 or the DC10?

I seem to remember F flatbeds were on the 767s at one point, but they're not shown in these timetables.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by JAXBA

I seem to remember F flatbeds were on the 767s at one point, but they're not shown in these timetables.
I am correct in thinking the implementation had neutral coloured carpets?

EDIT: This is the first version I remember:

Since the theme is nostalgia, I preferred it to New First. Don't recall ever seeing that blue/grey combination.

Last edited by Mixbury; Jan 24, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I remember the mini economy cabin in the DC10 from DFW it was great and then I think if became the precursor to WT+ ie full fare passengers only.

I used to love those timetables and would always pick one up. I wonder where the Marrakesh flight stopped at.

Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA

judging by the overhead lockers, it looks like a 767

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.