Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Old Feb 2, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Was doing some shredding of old papers this morning when this fell out. Lots of Tri-Star routes. I never knew BA flew into YEG and lots of other long gone routes like BNE,MEL,AKL,BWN,CMB,KHI,DAR,CCU and of course all the international routes from GLA,MAN and BHX. I was on those 757 shuttles a lot in 1983. After just getting off a 747 the takeoffs were fantastic. First time posting images. How do you make them smaller?
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh don't chuck that away! I might need some data from it when I get around to sorting out my flights from the 80s, my school years.
Old Feb 2, 19, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A View Post
Was doing some shredding of old papers this morning when this fell out. Lots of Tri-Star routes. I never knew BA flew into YEG and lots of other long gone routes like BNE,MEL,AKL,BWN,CMB,KHI,DAR,CCU and of course all the international routes from GLA,MAN and BHX. I was on those 757 shuttles a lot in 1983. After just getting off a 747 the takeoffs were fantastic. First time posting images. How do you make them smaller?
I remember recommending that a number of the short hops tagged on to long haul flights be stopped when I worked there...sorry ☹️ We used to do MEL and BNE (alternately I seem to remember) as there and back hops on the BA009 rather than it just sit around at SYD. But load factors were always low, and if my memory is correct, which it might not be given its more than 20 years ago, at the time the crew costs for the route were apportioned on an RPK (revenue per passenger kilometre) basis, which masked the true cost of the additional overnight! TPE from HKG was another one of these short hops that springs to mind as well
Old Feb 3, 19, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
Peter_S remembering someone with similar name out there in the early 90’s and yes ME used to be piled in with Africa.

I remember in the late 80’s early 90’s Tristars going through BAH to Bangkok then onto Oz. Also used to be able to get down to SEZ on BA from BAH. Pre-Gulf War 1, BAH was joined with AUH or DXB?? Then after the war linked with KWI, then back to AUH before settling down with DOH for many years (Gold runs!!!) and now on its tod.

I know I have some early 90’s timetables somewhere in the loft!
Old Feb 3, 19, 3:48 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Wow, that's amazing, I think you have really nailed those missing flights for me! I don't actually have my list handy because I'm on the road right now (or I should say, up in the air, with London, Brussels, Valencia and Rome on one trip). But I will check it all when I get back.

I still have to find the number of the flight that left LHR for GVA on 24th August at 15h35. Were those flights with 4,000 number series actually operated by BA or by a smaller regional subsidiary? Not sure if they had regional subsidiaries in those days.
Both sources I have for 1995 list the BA 4xxx sequence flight numbers for BAs LHR Domestic services, with BA4145-4156 used for the LHR-INV services. These would be proper mainline BA aircraft type flying. On the BA4145 to LHR, on the morning of 04-08-95, was flown with one of BA's Boeing 737-400's G-DOCN. From what I can see most of the reginal subsidiary flights were in the 7xxx and 8xxx sequences in 1995.

With regard to the flight on the 24-08-95, unfortunately my copy of Airport Timetables UK doesn't list services by any British airlines from/to Heathrow. Thankfully I have, in my same store cupboard of my childhood aviation books, found a copy of Flight Routings 1995 and this does list BA flights. It has listed flight BA730 leaving Heathrow at 1535 local, scheduled to be operated by a B757. I Can't say for 100% if the BA730 turns around in GVA into the BA731 (as a b2b flight) but if it did, the
lhr-lgw.co.uk archives list the BA731 on the 24-08-95 as operated by Boeing 757-200 G-BPEI as shown in the line "BAW731","GBPEI","757","B757","LSGG","1913","1900" ,"C51","1","27L","1",,"4","240895"
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by AwyrCymru View Post
I've had a quick look at the LHR-LGW Archives, and the 1995 lists appears only to show arrival aircraft into LHR. I looked through some of the BA shuttle flights and could only see the odd numbered shuttle flights, e.g. SHT3x, SHT5x (MAN/EGCC -> LHR, BFS/EGAA -> LHR), listed and none of the outbound even numbered flights. Therefore, I don't think that the list will show your outbound LHR-INV flight.

I've just found my old copy of Airport Timetables UK Summer 1995, and looking at the list for Inverness, [EGPE] it appears to show that the late night BA4136 (arrival time 2145 local) would night stop in Inverness and form the following morning's BA4145 to LHR, so there may be a good chance that the following flight on the 04-08-95 ..."BAW27K","GDOCN","734","B73S","EGPE","0758","0720" ,"B5L","0","09L","1",,"5","040895" ... operated the BA4136 the evening before.

Also i'm guessing that the times shown in the list will be in UTC, based on the QANTAS flight QF009. It's shown on the list with a scheduled arrival time of 0430. Airport Timetables UK lists this flight as scheduled to arrive at 0530 (which I know is listed as local time).

So would an arrival time
of around 16:55 local would that fit with the BA729 times you have? I guess as GVA would have been at UTC+2 in August that would fit with roughly a 16:35 local departure from GVA?
Just coming back to this, now that I've got back from my travels and am looking at the table I am trying to construct, do you think that the flight which left INV at 11h35 was the BA4145? I think at that time there was only one flight per day, but there might have been two. So it might be logical to imagine a flight which left INV for London at an earlier hour than 11h35 (which would probably have been the BA4145)? I seem to vaguely recall there being something around 7 in the morning and thinking I would never make that, especially coming from Caithness. But that number (BA4145) is very familiar somehow.

For the flight which continued to GVA at 15h35 I am guessing it was BA730 (unless your Airport Timetables UK say otherwise). I remember very clearly a Swissair flight (SR833 I think) which always left at 15h05. It seemed to be anchored on that time for many years.
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:25 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Exec Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Just coming back to this, now that I've got back from my travels and am looking at the table I am trying to construct, do you think that the flight which left INV at 11h35 was the BA4145? I think at that time there was only one flight per day, but there might have been two. So it might be logical to imagine a flight which left INV for London at an earlier hour than 11h35 (which would probably have been the BA4145)? I seem to vaguely recall there being something around 7 in the morning and thinking I would never make that, especially coming from Caithness. But that number (BA4145) is very familiar somehow.

For the flight which continued to GVA at 15h35 I am guessing it was BA730 (unless your Airport Timetables UK say otherwise). I remember very clearly a Swissair flight (SR833 I think) which always left at 15h05. It seemed to be anchored on that time for many years.
Hi Concerto. Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Looking closely at Airport Timetables UK (Summer 1995) for Inverness I can see it lists 3 INV-LHR flights by BA, and does show a 11:35 LHR flight in the schedule:

INV-LHR BA4145 B734 06:45 12345=7
INV-LHR BA4145 B734 07:25 =====6=

INV-LHR BA4149 B732 11:35 1234===
INV-LHR BA4149 B734 11:35 ====567

INV-LHR BA4153 B732 17:35 1234===
INV-LHR BA4153 B734 17:35 ====567

Looking at the archives on lhr-lgw.co.uk - they list the following flight doing the BA4149 (BAW27E) on the 24th of August 1995
"BAW27E","GBKYC","73S","B737","EGPE","1147","1200" ,"N86","0","27R","1",,"4","240895" landing at 12:47 local, from EGPE (Inverness), operated by Boeing 737-236 G-BKYC

ATUK also lists the non-uk airlines for Heathrow and it does show SR833 for LHR-GVA Dept: 1505 (Scheduled equipment A321). It also suggests that this is formed from the 14:15 SR832 arrival from GVA. According to lhr-lgw.co.uk archives the SR822 was:
"SWR832","HBIOB","321","EA32","LSGG","1258","1315" ,"E07","2","27R","1",,"4","240895" - and if it did turnaround and do the SR833 - the flight would have been flown by HB-IOB, an A321
Old Feb 17, 19, 2:40 pm

Actually, I would have flown the BA4149 on the 23rd August 1995, continuing on 24th August to Geneva at 15h35 ... which must make it BA730, right, if Swissair 833 left at 15h05? Unless I wrote the wrong departure time down, which is possible. I didn't have a great year in 1995, so I might have been a lot more careless about things that I care to remember. The fact that I overnighted in London on the 23rd, and left on a departure time that was just more than 24 hours later makes me think it was probably a trip made up of two tickets (I recall now that booking all the way through to INV from Switzerland was a lot more expensive in those days than just making two separate tickets. In those days I was still able to use the student travel agent, SRR, SRS or something like that. (EDIT- just remembered it was STS Travel).

Really interesting set of data. How to you extrapolate the BA4149 flight number from BAW27E? Good detective work!
BA flight numbers out of Heathrow were even numbers, and inbound odd numbers, right? And still are, I guess.

For the inbound flight on the 3rd August from GVA with a departure noted at 16h35, can I assume that was BA729? I think there was a gap in the Swissair timetable around that time, between early afternoon and early evening.
I have a Swissair 1999 timetable here, and it shows GVA-LHR SR832 leaving at 13h30, then SR836 leaving at 18h30. Maybe in 1995 there was a SR834 between the two, but I reckon not. I recall always being aware of this mid afternoon gap.
I also have a BA timetable, but dating from 2001, which lists GVA-LHR BA727 leaving at 13h35, then BA729 leaving at 16h55 (there is also a BA743 at 14h25 on Saturdays and Sundays).
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:14 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I was just thinking that if this took place in 1995, Dan-Air had been absorbed into BA - they had the LHR-INV route and so that is how BA ended up flying it for a while. I know that they served it with Viscounts many years before.
Old Feb 17, 19, 3:58 pm

Programs: Once again lowly AA Gold. Lots of AA & AS miles & BA Avios + some DL & UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
I was just thinking that if this took place in 1995, Dan-Air had been absorbed into BA - they had the LHR-INV route and so that is how BA ended up flying it for a while. I know that they served it with Viscounts many years before.
Looks like Dan-Air eventually went into Inverness with jet equipment. An old OAG from the summer of 1983 lists Dan-Air flights with the BAC One-Eleven with two weekday nonstops from LHR plus a service operated four days a week from LGW via a stop in Aberdeen.
Old Feb 18, 19, 1:31 pm

Absolutely, I flew that LGW-ABZ-INV a couple of times when I was at the University of Surrey in 1988. I remember being on a morning flight once, having got a slow but dependable regional train from Guildford Gatwick, and the full bar service being offered along with some sort of hot breakfast. Ridiculously, I had a couple of whiskys, while the cabin attendant said she had no idea how I managed to do it (I felt really awful for the rest of the day, never drank in the morning since). I loved flying from ABZ to INV, blearily looking down on the countryside of my grandparents and thinking they would never have seen it like this, whereupon the cabin attendant offered me another whisky. Luckily I had the sense to refuse. My grandfather would have snaffled that, prior to eating one of the salmon he regularly caught in the River Deveron. I still had to get the coach up to Thurso (probablly Rapson's Coaches in those days, knew all the drivers).

My last Dan Air flight was on 27th August 1992, DA155 from INV to LGW, not so long before they were taken over. I remember quite a lot of bad feeling in the Inverness area about that takeover. It was even extensively written about in the Highlands newspaper, the Press & Journal. As for 1983, I was doing a lot of Dan Air flights then from INV to LHR and vv.