Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Nostalgic? 1997 Timetable Highlights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
WT on upper deck??
i used to do 747 to sfo in wt on tne upper deck
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by binman

The T4 lounge was on multiple levels and as you entered the pavilion the Concorde Room was directly in front of you. R F and gold were allowed in.

It it wasn’t huge and a full BA1 or BA3 could make it a bit cramped but noting like today’s overcrowding. There was very good food and wine and the staff were exceptional. Downstairs the spa originally boasted a steam room certainly, possibly a sauna and a number of treatment rooms with full massage tables.
todays experience is provided to a great many more people but it’s not the experience it once was
R and F were admitted to Concorde Room I am pretty sure the F lounge (which was downstairs) is where Golds and oneworld equivalents went. On this very site the F lounge in T4 was referred to as the "Gold Lounge" because basically the only people who would go there were Golds.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I remember going on an annual trip to Florida, flying ABZ-LGW-MCO when I was a kid with my parents from probably around 1994-2002. Would love a ABZ-LGW comeback, as would many I think. I seem to remember once being upstairs on a 747 in WT, or am I not remembering correctly? Did 747s fly from LGW back then? If so when did they stop?

My parents liked to remind me that they were once asked if they wanted to sit in CW upon checkin, before they noticed they had two young kids with them and then the offer was revoked. I also remember seeing Bernhard Langer at the gate before boarding to go back to LGW in MCO airport and asking him to sign my boarding pass. When I am home in the UK next week, I will go and see my mum and I will see if I can find the boarding pass.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It's still the same now! Most people used to go out of their way to avoid biz class on a narrow-body TATL but would happily take the upper deck of a 747. Same same if you ask me!
Except that the seats are very different now - it's the same reason that nobody seems to have a problem with flying G-EUNA trans-Atlantic on the grounds that it's a narrow-body aircraft.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Except that the seats are very different now - it's the same reason that nobody seems to have a problem with flying G-EUNA trans-Atlantic on the grounds that it's a narrow-body aircraft.
Single aisle, narrow cabin, low ceilings...

I did the AA 321 1-1 configuration. It was 'ok'. I'm not sure I would have liked the business class 2-2 further back.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I find this thread fascinating and I hope it keeps going. Recently, I have being trying to piece together a log of my flights from the early 1990s, when I was a student in Geneva. From late 1995 on I kept records, which just show the date, flight number and city pair. I wonder if anyone could help with a couple of questions from 1992:

On 17th July I flew with British Midland from LHR to EDI but I am missing the flight number. In my handwritten diary I have written a departure time of 12h40 and just below a comment saying the flight was very delayed. I think 12h40 refers to the scheduled departure time, but I'm not completely sure. Can anyone provide me with the flight number?

The other question concerns the 19th December 1992. I had arrived at LGW that morning on a charter Air 2000 flight from GVA (DP621), which I had got for the excellent price of CHF99. That flight had a full hot meal and bar service and was, as I remember, on board a widebody. I had the time to go into central London and hit Chinatown for a soup noodle before heading out to Heathrow for the evening flight to Inverness on BA. The number of this evening flight from LHR to INV is missing from my records. Apparently we left at 17h00, and arrived in thick snow at INV. Anyone happen to know the number of this flight?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
There is a UK-originating forum that may be better equipped to help with the British Midland question. Try https://www.pprune.org/ and if it works, let us know.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
I remember going on an annual trip to Florida, flying ABZ-LGW-MCO when I was a kid with my parents from probably around 1994-2002. Would love a ABZ-LGW comeback, as would many I think. I seem to remember once being upstairs on a 747 in WT, or am I not remembering correctly? Did 747s fly from LGW back then? If so when did they stop?

My parents liked to remind me that they were once asked if they wanted to sit in CW upon checkin, before they noticed they had two young kids with them and then the offer was revoked. I also remember seeing Bernhard Langer at the gate before boarding to go back to LGW in MCO airport and asking him to sign my boarding pass. When I am home in the UK next week, I will go and see my mum and I will see if I can find the boarding pass.
BA used to fly 747s in 1993 or so - I worked them before I went to Long Haul at LHR, - they were the "Classic" which you never see these days. They flew LGW-MCO for certain as I flew on one myself - there was Y on the upper deck at one stage and it was the best Y cabin ever.

How many remember the BCAL/Sabena shared 747 that flew LGW - ATL (I think) one side was BCAL - the other was Sabena. Similarly they did this with Concorde which had BA on one side and Brannif on the other (I may have spelt Brannif wrongly) . They took Concorde from JFK to DFW - subsonic of course but faster than normal. They loaded Filet Mignon or a Lobster Tail for everyone on board. Grief, you have to beg to get your first coice of meal these days!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I flew on a BA 747 ‘Classic’ in 1978 - on an APEX fare so no sniff of UD if it was Y then. Paper tickets MrD and I checked in at Victoria (old BOAC) and were bussed to LHR.
We had joined BA’s ‘Friends and Families Overseas’ club and were surprised to be paged in the departure lounge (T3) by a representative giving us hints and tips for our journey to ORD as well as the US in general.
Seats were allocated at check in from a sticker seat map- your allocated/requested seat would be affixed to your BP. I remember having 2 catering jars of Branston Pickle in my hand luggage, not something you could do now.
I also remember flying on a Tri-Star from LHR - AMS in the late 70s or early 80s which was the only time I ever flew one.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
I remember flying to Hong Kong for the school holidays between 1972 -1974 (think it was still BOAC) and vaguely remember the routing was something like LHR-Frankfurt-Athens-Karachi-Rangoon-Hong Kong (sometimes Bahrain)
Had to disembark in Karachi and Rangoon which was always horrible.

Later I regularly flew BCal from Monrovia-LGW (1980/1) in first class and remember having steak flambeed at my seat.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Am I alone in missing the old timetables? I always had several copies and I rarely travelled anywhere without one. I still keep the old copies (sad?) including the special editions produced for BAEC members.Of course, I understand that we should not produce paper copies any more but surely an electronic (PDF) copy could be produced. The information is all readily available. Some intern could surely be given a “project”.Even in this electronic age, this timetable was the simplest way to get some information about BA services.Questions I could get answers to easily using the timetable are almost impossible to answer on-line. Example questions I have asked myself recently are:Where does BA fly to from Manchester and when?
What dates does BA serve XXX route?
What are all the flight departure times on each day to YYY and from which airport?

All of these could be answered in seconds by flipping through the timetable pages.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by thefareguru
There is a UK-originating forum that may be better equipped to help with the British Midland question. Try https://www.pprune.org/ and if it works, let us know.
But I would need to join pprune and that, as far as I can see, is for pilots and others in that profession, which most certainly am not. Also, I reckon they wouldn't be into some dumb timetable question from 27 years ago. Tomorrow, I will compile a very clear and concise list of the six flights whose data I am missing. Surely someone here must have an old timetable in the drawer somewhere!

Originally Posted by ironmouse
I remember flying to Hong Kong for the school holidays between 1972 -1974 (think it was still BOAC) and vaguely remember the routing was something like LHR-Frankfurt-Athens-Karachi-Rangoon-Hong Kong (sometimes Bahrain)
Had to disembark in Karachi and Rangoon which was always horrible.

Later I regularly flew BCal from Monrovia-LGW (1980/1) in first class and remember having steak flambeed at my seat.
My sister did the BOAC trip to Hong Kong in exactly that same period, every time at school holidays, coming home to Hong Kong. She said it was a pretty hellish journey which went on forever, nothing glamorous about it, and she truly pitied the people who stayed on the plane in Hong Kong in order to continue to Australia. Have no idea in reality if they deplaned for an hour or so, or not.

When I was little, I was on the RAF flights from Brize Norton (BZZ, right?) which were VC10s. Now, I would like to trace back a couple of those, with my memories on Gan and other weird layovers at that time. Surely someone here has some connection to that world and those flights.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schultzois
R and F were admitted to Concorde Room I am pretty sure the F lounge (which was downstairs) is where Golds and oneworld equivalents went. On this very site the F lounge in T4 was referred to as the "Gold Lounge" because basically the only people who would go there were Golds.
Correct. Certainly no Gold in the old CCR. The downstairs F/Gold lounge was hellishly cramped at peak times to the level of no free seats at all. The catering was meh too, though the freshly cooked bacon rolls were decent.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Concerto
But I would need to join pprune and that, as far as I can see, is for pilots and others in that profession, which most certainly am not.
I've been a member of that other PPlace for many years, and I can therefore vouch for there being no need to be anywhere close to being in the profession to be allowed to join. In fact, one of the reasons I stopped participating there was because of the low and decreasing proportion of genuine professionals contributing to the threads and topics in which I would be interested.
Originally Posted by Concerto
Tomorrow, I will compile a very clear and concise list of the six flights whose data I am missing. Surely someone here must have an old timetable in the drawer somewhere!
Have you tried London Heathrow & Gatwick Airports ? It doesn't have information for the specific dates you have already mentioned, but if you look at enough other days in the scheduling season(s) concerned, you may get enough consistent hits to be confident of the flight numbers concerned.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
Well, I'm a member and not a pilot. I joined because I was doing mileage runs and because I was in the travel trade and these people had perspectives that were different and were willing to share them.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 3, 2019 at 12:07 am Reason: To comply with rule 12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.