Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Perhaps with the money this will save Amex they can reduce some of their annual fees. I can't justify keeping the gold card for more than a year at the current fee. I'm sure this is another reason people churn.
CatchThePigeon and :D! like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Perhaps with the money this will save Amex they can reduce some of their annual fees. I can't justify keeping the gold card for more than a year at the current fee. I'm sure this is another reason people churn.
You're evidently not the true target market, then. My AMEX offers have seen me get Ł200 in cashback over the first 12 months of card usage, ignoring the points.

----

A shame that they are getting rid of this; I'm getting rid of my Amex next month, with the intention of recouping it at the start of next year when I am back in full-time expenses based work. Was looking at getting the BA Amex anyway next time, so probably doesn't affect me for now.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
I used to make good use of the offers but they have gone downhill big time recently. 5% off at Jamie's Italian or American Golf doesn't do it for me!
Lawro likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Just to slightly hijack this thread, because it's triggered a lateral thought, if I switch from a free blue BA card to the paid BA card, having spent more than Ł10K, do I instantly get a 241 voucher from the new card? I've remember seeing something that suggests I do and I can see a use for that.
Yes.

I upgraded to the BA Amex PP, and already had Ł10k spend. The 2-4-1 voucher emerged within a day or two.
bisonrav and Recondite like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
I used to make good use of the offers but they have gone downhill big time recently. 5% off at Jamie's Italian or American Golf doesn't do it for me!
Indeed - I find the card most useful for corporate life. For example, Ł50 off at Hyatt, Ł50 off at Hilton = Ł100. Then, Ł50 off Amex Travel = Ł150 total. THen small gains elsewhere on money that I would have spent anyway... those are the offers that make it worthwhile, at least for me
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:52 am

I know this isn't (properly) in place yet, but does this mean potentially that if I've had the BA Amex sign up bonus, then I wouldn't get a sign up bonus for the Amex Platinum? Assuming I've never had an Amex Platinum before.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
I know this isn't (properly) in place yet, but does this mean potentially that if I've had the BA Amex sign up bonus, then I wouldn't get a sign up bonus for the Amex Platinum? Assuming I've never had an Amex Platinum before.
You can still get the sign up bonus on the Amex Platinum as it runs on a different rewards scheme to BA Amex. Going forward, we'll have to wait and see what changes Amex bring in.
RG1X likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co

I have to agree with you. I have read about serial churners taking out a number of cards, in particular the platinum cards for the huge bonus and hotel status that comes with them then ditching the card soon after the qualifying spend has been achieved. This clearly saves the vast majority of the Ł450 annual fee whilst the hotel status remains in place. I have no sympathy and it’s probably down to the “abusers of the system” that the policy is likely to change.
If that's the issue, surely the best course of action is therefore to make the Ł450 non-refundable, like most other credit cards with annual fees.
Eskimoboy likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by rhivolution
If that's the issue, surely the best course of action is therefore to make the Ł450 non-refundable, like most other credit cards with annual fees.
Completely agree - the Ł450 shouldn't be refundable once you hit the 30,000 points bonus imo - crazy if it is.
Eskimoboy likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
They used to accept it, you're right, but Amex has been cracking down and trying to eliminate churners in the US for a while now. Since before I joined FT each card already had "once in a lifetime" bonuses, and there is a thread that goes back to last July about Amex terms (again, US-based) that have tougher language. It was only a matter of time before the UK cards were impacted.

My thoughts are that churning has increased, given the popularity of hundreds of travel blogs that all push credit card links and referrals. On top of that, in the US the FFs are all earning on spending now so credit cards are the only way to get a big chunk of miles (instead of the old cheap mileage runs).
One slight difference in the US is that the sign up bonuses have tended to be huge from my understanding (3,4,5 times what they are in the UK) so I can see why they would crack down there.
A once in a lifetime sign up does seem a bit OTT and may end up being counter productive for Amex. . Personally speaking I'll be disappointed, I'm not a massive churner of Amex cards but I guess having the option to get one at some point that i've had before and still get the bonus would be nice. I cancelled my Amex Gold card getting on for a year ago,, I'm considering whether it's worth taking a punt on the Amex Platinum card with its hefty fee and keeping it for a year just to see if it works for me. This new policy would I think negate the opportunity to do that as I've had a gold card

I suppose it's a hard and fast rule that makes it simpler but a perhaps better way forward would be an assessment of people's card habits when they apply, i.e. aggressive churners get rejected and also no refund of pro rata annual fees. So no taking out the platinum card, hitting the bonus then cancelling it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
One slight difference in the US is that the sign up bonuses have tended to be huge from my understanding (3,4,5 times what they are in the UK) so I can see why they would crack down there.
This is the key issue here (and unfortunately UK/EU law hasn't helped people like us on that one!).

Incentives on cards here are relatively poor compared to in the US, so I can understand far more why they would make it one-time-only there (or at least, much more limited). Guess the profits in the US are also higher now, though?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Well I referred mrs cs today. The wording still says you won’t get a sign up bonus if you have held the card in the previous six months.

Which will work fine for us. She hasn’t held the card for in excess of two years. I did my existing one I think off a tcb cashback bonus and the year free is fast coming to an end.

To be honest, without the supermarket spend bonus bonus that was previously available in the first year I don’t think that the current offering justifies the yearly fee once the account is chargeable

cs
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Regardless of what you are gaming, it is still abuse.
I see it more as “following the rules set by the company” rather than “abuse”.
I'd go further: Re-applying after six months isn't just following the rules, it is the act of following Amex representatives' explicit advice (i.e., when one calls to cancel).
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I think it's fair to say that nothing has changed yet. For now, they are just seemingly reliable rumours coming from the call centre itself.

Until the terms are officially changed, I don't see why things shouldn't still be as they are now.

Last edited by ringingup; Jan 24, 2018 at 5:56 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
My big question is whether the Blue and Black BA cards count as the same going forward. I've had the Blue one once [and could apply again today for either] but was planning on waiting on getting the Black until the 25k Avios would come in really handy. Don't know if I'd be best able to use the 241 at present, so am less motivated by that in the short term. Obviously that plan's scuppered if it's just "either BA card", but doesn't seem like anyone knows at this stage...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.