Wiki Posts
Search

Papal BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Papal BA?

Half a story here, but on the BBC (world) news yesterday they had the Pope departing Peru after his visit there and boarding a plane with the OneWorld logo, and I'm pretty sure with the start of the 'B' for British Airways. Presumably a 'hired' plane since I doubt that the Pontiff would be travelling via LHR?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is a reasonably well known protocol used by the Holy Father (several of them actually): they fly to the visited country on an Alitalia charter under AZ4000 (and the US media refers to it as having callsign Good Shepherd though it's not always so) . But they return to the Vatican - or the next leg of the trip - on the airline associated with the departure country. So I suspect this would be a chartered LATAM service. There's a thick book - printed - which goes out to all and sundry giving the protocol on papal visits.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Indeed LATAM

http://www.lapresse.it/foto/papa-atterrato-a-ciampino-termina-22esimo-viaggio-estero/

(copy and paste above, because for some reason the 'click link' goes to another page)

Last edited by headingwest; Jan 23, 2018 at 5:04 am Reason: links to wrong page for some reason!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by headingwest
(copy and paste above, because for some reason the 'click link' goes to another page)
This version of the link might work better: Papa atterrato a Ciampino: termina 22esimo viaggio estero | LaPresse

The IB software seems to be automatically parsing links and may have got the original one wrong for some reason.
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Seems that the protocol was abandoned during the last papal visit to the UK
The Pope won?t be flying with British Airways | CatholicHerald.co.uk

Perhaps the Pope is a FTer?
kosy91 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a reasonably well known protocol used by the Holy Father (several of them actually): they fly to the visited country on an Alitalia charter under AZ4000 (and the US media refers to it as having callsign Good Shepherd though it's not always so) . But they return to the Vatican - or the next leg of the trip - on the airline associated with the departure country. So I suspect this would be a chartered LATAM service. There's a thick book - printed - which goes out to all and sundry giving the protocol on papal visits.
However when the Pope last visited the UK he left on Alitalia because although BA were asked to do it they failed to respond.
peanut77 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
However when the Pope last visited the UK he left on Alitalia because although BA were asked to do it they failed to respond.
Perhaps because the senior Anglican Primate just books himself into EuroTraveller (BA Silver, former GCH).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:45 am

Perhaps because the senior Anglican Primate just books himself into EuroTraveller (BA Silver, former GCH).
Obviously the Pope didn't want to be made a monkey of?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Oh dear, I thought this was a thread about PayPal
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by golfmad
Oh dear, I thought this was a thread about PayPal
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:42 pm

I shared a train carriage (technically two of them) with Bishop Williams from East Anglia to the North East about several years ago, after he retired from being ABoC. He cuts a rather distinctive figure, even while reading Kipling intently, and was certainly traveling “economy” in that instance. Somewhat to my surprise no-one else seemed to recognise him, and - rather pleasingly - no-one bothered him.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:09 pm

Maybe the Pope doesn't do low cost airlines?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simons1

Maybe the Pope doesn't do low cost airlines?
Hardly low cost.
Low service for average cost is usually more like it.
headingwest, RoyalSwazi and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:34 am

I thought BA removed the F cabin and installed something decent when a top celebrity travelled?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:15 am

I can image the conversation

BA Rep 1: Seriously, Douglas – this isn’t one of your mates?
BA Rep 2: Who is it?
BA Rep 1: The Pope
BA Rep 2: No. The Pope is not one of my mates.
BA Rep 1: Right! Fine! Then you talk to him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.