Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should BA ditch the plastic cutlery?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Guys I think we've given Alex and Willie a great idea... BoB cutlery!
Nevermind BOB cutlery, why not EYO (eat your own) cutlery...https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...endly-utensils
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Blimey, had a look on ebay for teaspoons and do people really pay that sort of money for them? Back in the day I always picked up a teaspoon from a flight as a souvenir, and I had loads of them, sadly lost in a divorce. Ex-wife sadly now sitting on a goldmine if she only knew
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Bamboo cutlery maybe? They grow like weeds...
I’ve got plenty in my garden! It starts popping up in all corners of the garden.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Carbon Footprint??

Why are so many posters worried about the carbon footprint of metal cutlery? I thought the plastic argument was all about it not degrading and making its way into the Oceans?

By the way, ironically this means it is not releasing the carbon, which makes up that plastic, from being emitted as a gas into the atmosphere.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by CKBA
Given the elbow room and the food served down the back a spork might be better - if made of titanium they're much lighter/stronger than plastic and reusable - and you would only need one of them if the meal was so 'designed'.
A BA spork? Sounds very collectible - I suggest they tether it on a long chain attached to the meal tray to prevent them going astray. Works with pens in the bank.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jbfield
Why are so many posters worried about the carbon footprint of metal cutlery? I thought the plastic argument was all about it not degrading and making its way into the Oceans?

By the way, ironically this means it is not releasing the carbon which makes up that plastic from being emitted as a gas into the atmosphere.
In a round about way this sort of summarises how messy us humans have made this beautiful planet!

But small steps and at least we are talking about this sort of tiny step (plastic cutlery on BA planes) as this is only a positive move should it ever happen. Yes there are a multitude of other polluting factors involved that have a negative negative contribution but we have to start somewhere. Right?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:49 pm

When we flew on Virgin last year we had metal cutlery every time, and Virgin doesn't even have a "First Class"! BA's just an ULCC flying the BA banner of old.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
Certain countries are dirty. I'd like to say that I live in a clean country but that's only relatively true. You need only glance at the contents of a Tube carriage to see what I mean. Or for that matter, what the tradesmen leave in my street. The only reason I think I live in a clean country is because we pay people to clean up. People are pigs.

If we are talking about the production, collection and destruction of single-purpose cutlery on flights, as opposed to the cost of supplying heavy steel reusable cutlery, with the considerable costs of cleaning , storing, distributing and carrying it (let alone replacing what's been nicked), the argument's already been made. It's cheaper and easier.

We can eschew the plastic cutlery (which I detest) and carry and burn the extra fuel for a decent knife and fork, burn the coal or gas to heat the water to clean them and pay for the odd sets that get 'lost'. And it won't make a blind bit of difference.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 20Rothmans
If we are talking about the production, collection and destruction of single-purpose cutlery on flights, as opposed to the cost of supplying heavy steel reusable cutlery, with the considerable costs of cleaning , storing, distributing and carrying it (let alone replacing what's been nicked), the argument's already been made. It's cheaper and easier.

We can eschew the plastic cutlery (which I detest) and carry and burn the extra fuel for a decent knife and fork, burn the coal or gas to heat the water to clean them and pay for the odd sets that get 'lost'. And it won't make a blind bit of difference.
So let's just ignore the fact that 300,000+ items of plastic have to be disposed of daily, eh?

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I admit I was idly wondering about that. I don't have exact figures to hand, but a quick weigh of some all metal cutlery from the kitchen suggests 70 grams for a knife. Subjectively, it feels a little heftier than the BA metal ones and was definitely a bit larger, so we could perhaps estimate that with good design they could get the average item weight down to 50 grams.

If we also assume per earlier discussion that we have 8 items per pax, that's 400g extra each.

How many pax? 200? Seem a lot as many cabin configs don't hold that many in Y, but lets err on the side of pessimism and take that figure, so total of 400g x 200 = 80Kg, or just about one average Englishman (according to the ONS)

Now...that's very much all back of the envelope stuff, and what I hope someone can fill in is this - what does 80Kg more weight mean in terms of fuel costs?
The last question is very good one indeed, and I'd be very interested to know the answer, but I think the actual weight could be much less. I have various pieces of old cutlery in a box, of different weights and styles. One teaspoon I have, which is a strong, sturdy metal, weighs only 14g. Incidentally, I have one Qatar Airways economy teaspoon which weighs 28g, so obviously they don't find weight to be an issue!.

Now if we assume that a strong metal teaspoon can weigh 14g, then I think it's safe to say that knives and forks can be produced with around 20g. I reckon that if you had a meal service pack which contained 20g+20g+20g+14g=74g x 2 meal services x 200 passengers, that would give you a total of 29.6kg. Let's not forget that 1,600 items of plastic also have a weight, so the actual difference might be possibly around 29.1kg??

Thinking back to your ultimate question, I'd like to know how much 30kg equates to in terms of extra fuel costs? My guess is it's pretty negligible in terms of overall weight (passengers, luggage, cargo and catering). I can check in a 23kg extra item of luggage on a 2 sector trip for Ł120, so I doubt BA are paying anywhere near that amount for the extra fuel.

50 pence per passenger in extra fuel costs for carrying metal cutlery???

RJD1983 likes this.

Last edited by headingwest; Jan 24, 2018 at 1:00 am Reason: clarified last question
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:37 am

Chapatis or naan. Problem solved.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

I’ve got plenty in my garden! It starts popping up in all corners of the garden.
Exactly! Just like the common garden weed
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Why is this a BA specific issue?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by navylad
Why is this a BA specific issue?
It's a campaign against plastic cutlery on BA, I'd say.

No-one flying BA particularly cares about what the SAS Plus cutlery is made of (FYI it's plastic!) at that particular moment.

Not that I have had any contact with plastic cutlery on BA for a long time - in the days when I flew down the back, it was birdseed, or birdseed, or birdseed - i.e. no cutlery!

I guess no-one ever said they missed the BA birdseed?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
A BA spork? Sounds very collectible - I suggest they tether it on a long chain attached to the meal tray to prevent them going astray. Works with pens in the bank.
Give it a few days and plastic forks would be sellotaped to the chains to replace the nicked sporks.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:31 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
But being serious... I think it is DL that recently announced replacement of plastic cutlery with proper stainless steel on all long-haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.