Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should BA ditch the plastic cutlery?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Why not biodegradable plastic cutlery? Or wooden chopsticks?
BA offers wooden chopsticks on Far East flights, that are actually pretty good quality.

They wash well, and I use them at home for take-away.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Easiest thing to start with is to make Highlife magazine a browsable PDF... although not sure how green accessing it is... (computer processing etc.)
hedgehopper likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Bamboo cutlery maybe? They grow like weeds...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Bamboo isn't entirely good, because (as with almost everything else) you can harvest it unsustainably even if it grows quickly, and (as with most everything else) uncontrolled short-term resource exploitation in Asia means that happens. You have to be a bit careful where you source it from.

One major improvement to airline meals would be to create a single waste stream, by using compostable containers and cutlery. So then the economy tray would have on it some or all of: paper tray liner, compostable plastic tubs, compostable plastic lids, food waste, compostable cutlery, paper napkins, paper sachets of condiments, compostable plastic water bottle, etc. Collect waste off the tray in compostable bags. Keep the tray.

Some countries require incoming food and service waste to be incinerated, but even then there's some energy recovery to be done, and most flying in the world is not subject to this so it can all be composted.

I'm confident the passengers can screw this up by dropping other waste onto the tray, but that can be alleviated by post-collection processing to remove non compostable waste.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Some
Sustainably grown wooden cutlery is probably the environmental decision here - the extra weight, and therefore fuel, of carrying around metal cutlery for everyone in non-premium cabins is surely a non-trivial amount!

Edit: I think the sustainable solution is actually just to provide sandwiches for every meal and ditch cutlery in non-premium cabins - there you go BA management, you can have that cost saving idea for free...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sustainably grown wooden cutlery is probably the environmental decision here - the extra weight, and therefore fuel, of carrying around metal cutlery for everyone in non-premium cabins is surely a non-trivial amount!

Edit: I think the sustainable solution is actually just to provide sandwiches for every meal and ditch cutlery in non-premium cabins - there you go BA management, you can have that cost saving idea for free...
I'm sure the extra weight is substantial, but I doubt it's a major problem. Other airlines (Japan Airlines and Qatar Airways for example) serve meals with metal cutlery in economy.

Your second suggestion I'm not even going to comment on!

Personally I see it as 3 issues here. Firstly the carbon footprint, which I admit is more of an issue with metal cutlery. But when you add the production and distribution aspect to the equation, I don't think metal is so bad. Secondly, the waste, this is where I do believe that metal would be better for obvious reasons. Thirdly of course, there is the actual quality of the product, using metal is stronger and IMO better. Of course for BA there's also the PR issue!

Last edited by headingwest; Jan 23, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
the extra weight, and therefore fuel, of carrying around metal cutlery for everyone in non-premium cabins is surely a non-trivial amount!
I admit I was idly wondering about that. I don't have exact figures to hand, but a quick weigh of some all metal cutlery from the kitchen suggests 70 grams for a knife. Subjectively, it feels a little heftier than the BA metal ones and was definitely a bit larger, so we could perhaps estimate that with good design they could get the average item weight down to 50 grams.

If we also assume per earlier discussion that we have 8 items per pax, that's 400g extra each.

How many pax? 200? Seem a lot as many cabin configs don't hold that many in Y, but lets err on the side of pessimism and take that figure, so total of 400g x 200 = 80Kg, or just about one average Englishman (according to the ONS)

Now...that's very much all back of the envelope stuff, and what I hope someone can fill in is this - what does 80Kg more weight mean in terms of fuel costs?
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:06 am

Bit hard to call without knowing if the plastic cutlery goes into landfill somewhere or gets recycled.

Plastic doesn't sound very 'premium' but I must be honest it doesn't really trouble me either way. There does seem to be a decent eBay market for airline cutlery though....not sure why people would want to eat their Sunday roast with a BA cutlery set but I'm sure there are people on here who would argue it makes the beef taste better
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Bear in mind the carbon cost of producing cutlery, even compostable cutlery. Either making and processing PLA for compostable plastic, or cutting, transporting and shaping wood has carbon cost too. Unfortunately quite a lot of diesel, natural gas and coal gets burnt to power the manufacturing and transport industries (even if many wood processing factories are partially powered by burning wood scrap).

It's a bit of a tricky calculation all round.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BOAC knife, fork and spoon from a kitchen drawer seems to be 75 grams.

Make of that what you will
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:45 am

Guys I think we've given Alex and Willie a great idea... BoB cutlery!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Ok, i’ll Admit it - I wasn’t aware BA used plastic cutlery...
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Given the elbow room and the food served down the back a spork might be better - if made of titanium they're much lighter/stronger than plastic and reusable - and you would only need one of them if the meal was so 'designed'.
adrianlondon and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by CKBA
Given the elbow room and the food served down the back a spork might be better - if made of titanium they're much lighter/stronger than plastic and reusable - and you would only need one of them if the meal was so 'designed'.
Is that not a Runcible Spoon, or is my memory failing?
We have a set, and very handy they are for sloppy food and curries

Ahh ... https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...runcible_spoon
missdimeaner likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
I would see the introduction of metal cutlery as a real improvement, not just for the quality of the product but also for the environmental impact.
Agree.
But then it should be light metal like aluminum or magnesium alloy, but OTOH, that is less resistant to dishwashing detergent.
The idea of wooden cutlery is not bad.
But cutlery is not the worst, but all the plastic packaging of the food is much more plastic waste.
And plastic waste should be almost completely banned as it is one of the worst pollutants.

I guess the total carbon footprint of production and transport of all disposable plastic packaging worldwide is more than all worldwide aviation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.