ex-DUB question

Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Once, in our early l/h days, we connected LHR-LGW and realised that [through my ignorance?] we had a 5+ hour wait for the next LGW-JER. But, wait! ... there a flight in just over an hour [schedule changes, I have no idea] showing on the boards!!

I went to the ticket desk, did the confused passenger sympathy bid, and we were re-ticketed in moments.

I will NEVER rely on that working again.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by MPH1980
In this case - I only knew I could make it when I was stood at the gate. And in some cases - it's been cheaper to book the plus fare than the basic fare.
Im not sure Ive ever expected to be able to change the booking at the gate itself. Although I suppose it makes sense as they must have the ability to offload and waitlist (and clear the waitlist) from there so...
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by NeverFirst

Im not sure Ive ever expected to be able to change the booking at the gate itself. Although I suppose it makes sense as they must have the ability to offload and waitlist (and clear the waitlist) from there so...
I have been actively moved between flights at gates before. Not sure I've ever done a massive wholesale change I'll admit (like changing dates or destinations) - but certainly moving between flights on the same route on the same day.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
I asked at T5 on my outbound flight to see if I could change the final segment of my return in 4 days time. My reason was that the layover was only 60 mins on the return and I would prefer more time to ensure my bag got home with me. I was on a flexible Y ticket. BA declined to make the change saying that the MCT was 45 minutes, so I therefore had enough time and they could not make the change as the system would not allow it. They suggested I wait until the day in question and ask again if my inbound was late at LHR.

So flexible tickets don't appear very flexible either. In the end my inbound to T5 was early and I actually had 80 mins. I did make my flight ok, but my bag did not make it with me as suspected.

Route was ABZ-IAH-ABZ
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:56 pm

The DUB gate staff have to ring the ticket desk landslide and talk them through the changes. No idea how they would take payment. Understandably its not something they are keen to do even on simple point to points.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Hum,
And do you think getting out at the arrivals and coming back through check-in would give me better chances ? On one side, I'd lose a bit of time, on the other side the guys at check-in are probably more used to putting people on earlier flights ...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by djwam
Hum,
And do you think getting out at the arrivals and coming back through check-in would give me better chances ? On one side, I'd lose a bit of time, on the other side the guys at check-in are probably more used to putting people on earlier flights ...
Per the above, check in wont help (unless there are IRROPS and even then Im not sure). You will have to go to the BA ticket desk in the departure hall. I doubt you will succeed, unless the later flight is overbooked. But youve nothing to lose given you have lots of time.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Slightly OT, but only slightly, Aer Lingus seems to let you switch to an earlier flight at DUB. I've had 3 out of 3 of asking nicely at the gate. They seem to prefer to do it just as the last stragglers are boarding. In all cases I was on the cheapest ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I've tried bringing my flight forward in Dublin before, both at the check-in desk and the gate, and it didn't work. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try but just thought you'd want the datapoint.

Also I should point out that your choice of turn-around is much more risky because if your outbound flight is cancelled, which can happen with morning Domestic/Irish flights, then you're completely stuck. Whereas if you were doing a back-to-back then your DUB-LHR would be cancelled in this situation too. Not criticising, just wanted to point out why people do this. And also DUB really is very easy for B2B, particularly during the day when you can use flight connections.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Foltan
IAnd also DUB really is very easy for B2B, particularly during the day when you can use flight connections.
Forget Flight Connections. It closes in the afternoon and you have to get almost all the way over to Flight Connections before that becomes evident, at which point you have to double back to landside. Going landside in the first instance covers almost the same territory, just on different levels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.