Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA take over TA booking once 1st segment flown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

Does anyone know if BA will takeover a TA booking after first segment flown?

I was thinking of booking a 1yr fare and using my GUF towards it (A class available saving a joker). But the issue is my inbound date is uncertain and I will likely change this in 6 months time.

I would like to use the TA (to get A TPs too apparently), but am worried that BA wont touch this booking at all.
​​​​​
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
I received this email back on January 11, it might answer your question. Looks like you'd be good to go as long as you apply the upgrade at least 24 hours before you intend to fly.

As a Gold Guest List Member, you receive a Gold Upgrade voucher for one or two people when you reach at least 2,500 Tier Points. This entitles you (and a companion) to a free cabin upgrade* when you next book British Airways flights with us or a Travel Agent.

We've listened to your feedback and are making improvements to the voucher booking process. If you book with a Travel Agent you no longer need to use it at the time of booking; simply contact us directly up to 24 hours before your flight to upgrade. If you'd like to make any further changes after you've redeemed your voucher, please contact us directly. Your dedicated Gold telephone number is 0800 408 111 or if calling from overseas +44 161 448 3048.

That means it's now easier than ever to enjoy your upgrade. Please note the voucher is only valid if you - the Executive Club Member – is travelling on the flight and is subject to availability.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:10 am

Not sure in this exact circumstance but I've had a couple of experiences of BA modifying a TA ticket without hesitation once the first sector is flown by calling - online directs you back to the TA
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
This only applies to the ability to use reward inventory to book using a GUF - previously TAs had to use revenue inventory (they still can for the time being) for a GUF2 at the time of booking. Now you also have the option of applying a GUF in the same way as you would avios, after booking with a TA.

Here, the question is more - how changeable is A class inventory once booked by a TA using a GUF from an underlying business fare? (I.e., do the same rules apply as using normal 'A' class or the underlying fare, and if so, what happens to the applied upgrade?) (I don't know the answer but I hope it's helpful to reframe the question a little).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Does anyone know if BA will takeover a TA booking after first segment flown?

I was thinking of booking a 1yr fare and using my GUF towards it (A class available saving a joker). But the issue is my inbound date is uncertain and I will likely change this in 6 months time.

I would like to use the TA (to get A TPs too apparently), but am worried that BA wont touch this booking at all.
​​​​​
Providing it isnt a deal ticket ie a BT/IT fare BA will change a travel agency bookingonce the first flight is flown. Essentially if its a published fare where you travelled the outbound help BA can help.It is also worth noting that on a travel agency booking you will get asked for your passport details as a secirity check when you call BA. So have your passport ready when you call.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Thanks all for the helpful responses.

This is a published fare. My bigger concern was that BA would not amend my flight sectors after 1st segment flown when I need to make changes and refer me back to a TA. But seems like the answer is that BA will be OK to take control of it.

But yes it will be interesting to know if booked into A class using a GUF, what then happens if/when I want to change flights.

So my conundrum now is:-
So I could save what GBP50 (say for 8 sectors) by booking with BA and using a GUF+Joker
Or spend the GBP50, save the joker, and get A TP for my BA flight sectors.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:14 am

Spend the £50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.