Search

Serial Stowaway flies ORD-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Serial Stowaway flies ORD-LHR

A 66-year-old Grayslake [Illinois] woman with a history of trying to sneak onto airline flights managed to slip past security and took a flight from O’Hare International Airport to London earlier this week.

Chicago police say Marilyn Hartman boarded the flight Sunday afternoon without a ticket.

Hartman slipped by a distracted TSA agent in O’Hare’s Terminal 3, somehow made it to the international terminal and slipped past a busy gate agent to board a British Airways flight to London.

Sources say O’Hare security video shows Hartman had been wandering the airport for two days and no one questioned her.

Once on the London-bound plane, sources say, Hartman hid in a bathroom and eventually walked out and found a seat. When she couldn’t produce a passport Monday at Heathrow Airport, officials sent her back to O’Hare, where she was taken into custody Thursday.
Serial Stowaway Slips Past O?Hare Security, Flies To London « CBS Chicago
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Ouch, that will be expensive for BA. I'm amazed she could make it past security without producing a boarding pass. Similarly, how do you get past the gate without a boarding pass?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I knew it! She was really crazy!! She was banned ORD, MDW, Greyhound, and Amtrak, as well. She was not supposed to be there. Why does she doing it? She didn't listen from the judge.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:39 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
I knew it! She was really crazy!! She was banned ORD, MDW, Greyhound, and Amtrak, as well. She was not supposed to be there. Why does she doing it? She didn't listen from the judge.
A lawyer in a silly frock sending her to jail (possibly again) is going to have precisely zero effect on somebody suffering from mental illness.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA (rightly) will get a big fine for this but it does make you wonder about security these days. I do think they are too focussed on bottles of water.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Wow that’s crazy, she would have had to pass so many points of security unnoticed to manage that ! At least she couldn’t get past passport control on arrival !
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Worcester
BA (rightly) will get a big fine for this but it does make you wonder about security these days. I do think they are too focussed on bottles of water.
As long as you understand it's Security Theater, then everyone will be happy.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
At least she couldn’t get past passport control on arrival !
Indeed I'm almost surprised she didn't make it, given she's clearly quite adept at this sneaking business.

Of course her success will also have required an element of luck at each step of the way, and that ran out at LHR. That's assuming she did in fact try to enter rather than get sent home.

A big embarrassment for the TSA, BA's GHAs at the gate, and the BA crew checking BPs at the door, all of whom failed to do their job properly.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Indeed I'm almost surprised she didn't make it, given she's clearly quite adept at this sneaking business.

Of course her success will also have required an element of luck at each step of the way, and that ran out at LHR. That's assuming she did in fact try to enter rather than get sent home.

A big embarrassment for the TSA, BA's GHAs at the gate, and the BA crew checking BPs at the door, all of whom failed to do their job properly.
do crew even check everyone’s boarding passes at the plane anymore? On my Swiss flights the other days they did not check at all once you passed the boarding gate
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:24 am
GLA

Programs: BA VS
I seem to recall Kevin McCallister did this at ORD a few years ago.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by GLA
I seem to recall Kevin McCallister did this at ORD a few years ago.
and Mrs. Ada Quonsett
cruisr, FredT5, Swoop and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:47 am

do crew even check everyone’s boarding passes at the plane anymore? On my Swiss flights the other days they did not check at all once you passed the boarding gate
On long-haul yes; on short-haul no.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

Certainly on the BA longhaul flights. They have stopped checking them on the UK domestic legs.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I suppose they might feel somewhat vindicated since Mrs Hartman managed to foil everyone at ORD. It must have taken some cunning to get past BA's gate agents at ORD as boarding passes are cross checked with passports.

The article mentions she couldn’t produce a passport when she arrived at Heathrow but she must have had one (fake or otherwise) when she boarded, surely
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:02 am

Was I the only person who opened this thread with the impression it would be about a persistent infestation of flies on BA aircraft on this route…?

I was expecting complaints about cleaning and questions around fumigation!
seawolf and GadgetGal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.