Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serial Stowaway flies ORD-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by saxman66
She probably has a keen eye for security procedures and to spot holes in the system. Perhaps she joined a group going in. Joined another where a family is scanning multiple boarding passes and the agent gets distracted. She's probably gotten good at it. I'm only guessing as to what she might have done.
If she's the serial stowaway I'm thinking of, 'Grandma' attaches herself to a larger family group and relies on getting missed in the chaos you get when everyone is trying keep track of the 'grandkids' and prevent the toddler from pulling a runner to the baggage claim area.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by kileysmom
You know as a now senior citizen who flies alone mostly, I can report that once over a certain age (or looking over that age), you become pretty much invisible to younger people....just spend a bit of time people watching and you'll see what I mean. Not a lot of interest in what you are doing, where you are going, what you might need, etc. Very little suspicion you re up to no good....you're a sweet old granny just shuffling around. It doesn't surprise me much that with just a little guile someone past that certain age could walk through and get on a plane.
Exactly this.

If you don't call attention to yourself people will look right through you.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
It’s all very well distracting a TSA agent and a boarding agent, but when you get to the airplane door, how do you distract 2 crew members, often one is the CSD/M and they always seem very intent on seeing a boarding pass before they let you through the door.... that takes some serious skill... and years of watching and practicing how to do it.
US/TSA specific? I went through the door way so often w/o showing my BP with muttering something along "I know where 4F is.."
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
US/TSA specific?
British Airways specific. Very strict rule on widebody aircraft.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
It’s all very well distracting a TSA agent and a boarding agent, but when you get to the airplane door, how do you distract 2 crew members, often one is the CSD/M and they always seem very intent on seeing a boarding pass before they let you through the door.... that takes some serious skill... and years of watching and practicing how to do it.
The only way I can see it happening - which would frankly not need too much skill - is to tag along to the back of a large family group. Lead parent then shows a clutch of boarding passes - perhaps 5 or 6 in all - and the CSM (in this case) would not actually reconcile the boarding pass to each traveller. The alternative is a forged /out of date/stolen boarding pass, not used at the gate but used at the door.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In First Class, in every airline, they have a list of the passengers with the names so the crew can address the passenger properly. They would have discovered her before the doors had closed. I don't think she would have made it to the Champagne glass in First Class in BA where one member of the crew is supposed to personally take you to your seat.
You're no fun! She could've pulled of the DYKWIA of the century! BTW counting passengers could have prevented it too. NH turned around a plane over the Pacific after a someone snuck onto the plane because he wanted to fly with his brother rather than on the UA flight he was originally booked on.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:25 am

Here's a local article from Chicago.

'Serial stowaway' got past TSA, spent night at O'Hare before flight to London: Prosecutors - Chicago Tribune

She's found a flaw in the system and no one wants to admit it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by ords
She's found a flaw in the system and no one wants to admit it.
Don't be silly - she got past two precheck TSA agents by "hiding her face with her hair". No system could cope with that
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Don't be silly - she got past two precheck TSA agents by "hiding her face with her hair". No system could cope with that
Is this the new version of PreCheck managed inclusion?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
So what has happened to the three strikes and you’re out policy in the USA? Surely she should have been locked up for good by now.

That's not how it works. There is no universal, national "3 strikes policy." Most criminal justice in the USA is done at the state level, and not all states have these laws. In the states that do have them, they usually only include felonies (which she wasn't necessarily charged with on all her previous trespass attempts) and generally require at least some of the offenses to be serious/violent crimes.

Last edited by Kumulani; Jan 21, 2018 at 9:09 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kumulani
That's not how it works. There is no universal, national "3 strikes policy." Most criminal justice in the USA is done at the state level, and not all states have these laws. In the states that do have them, they usually only include felonies (which she wasn't necessarily charged with on all her previous trespass attempts) and generally require at least some of the offenses to be serious/violent crimes.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I am however suprised that breaching airport security is not counted as a serious crime in every state given the current security situation.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I am however suprised that breaching airport security is not counted as a serious crime in every state given the current security situation.
She was screened at the checkpoint, so didn't totally breach security, but she was apparently able to walk past the boarding pass checker without being noticed. Looking at past cases of people who actually did breach security though, as long as they didn't do anything else they were generally just charged with trespassing, which is a misdemeanor in most states.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Kumulani
She was screened at the checkpoint, so didn't totally breach security, but she was apparently able to walk past the boarding pass checker without being noticed. Looking at past cases of people who actually did breach security though, as long as they didn't do anything else they were generally just charged with trespassing, which is a misdemeanor in most states.
Actually, she was breached security and she tried to get on the flight to Connecticut, but the gate agent told her to sit down. She didn't screened at TSA checkpoint. She was hiding with her face from security surveillance camera.

Originally Posted by 710 77345
British Airways specific. Very strict rule on widebody aircraft.
That's correct. Because it's very strict rules. If you get onboard the aircraft and you must show your ticket at the aircraft door.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
US/TSA specific? I went through the door way so often w/o showing my BP with muttering something along "I know where 4F is.."
I tried that with BA but it never worked. The CSM would always insist to see my BP and would wait for me to produce it before letting me board the plane. But it does work on the US Airlines. Once it's scanned at boarding, I can put the BP in my pocket and only produce it again if somebody thinks that I'm sitting in their seat.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I tried that with BA but it never worked. The CSM would always insist to see my BP and would wait for me to produce it before letting me board the plane. But it does work on the US Airlines. Once it's scanned at boarding, I can put the BP in my pocket and only produce it again if somebody thinks that I'm sitting in their seat.
Don't put your BP in your pocket. Please keep it out with you. You must show your BP to FA at the aircraft door. When you get onboard the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.