Serial Stowaway flies ORD-LHR

Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Don't be silly - she got past two precheck TSA agents by "hiding her face with her hair". No system could cope with that
Sounds like peek-a-boo with a baby. I can't see you, so that means you can't see me!
I also think that walking backward into the security checkpoint exit would confuse the guard enough and you could make it through that way.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The only way I can see it happening - which would frankly not need too much skill - is to tag along to the back of a large family group. Lead parent then shows a clutch of boarding passes - perhaps 5 or 6 in all - and the CSM (in this case) would not actually reconcile the boarding pass to each traveller. The alternative is a forged /out of date/stolen boarding pass, not used at the gate but used at the door.
Yes, it was eluding the check at the aircraft door that really surprised me too - I think we've all spotted opportunities to sneak past security and gate checks. But even so, moving around to find a large enough family group on the jetty suggests a pretty high degree of cunning and familiarity with the system!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by V10
A lawyer in a silly frock sending her to jail (possibly again) is going to have precisely zero effect on somebody suffering from mental illness.
For the record as a lawyer practicing in the United States I'm a little jealous of those "silly frocks"
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This really belongs in the Security forum, as it's the 10th time the TSA has failed... You would think the woman's photo would be posted on every TSA bulletin board now and covered in basic training. Surely they have video footage of her sneaking into the airport.

So let me get this straight - BA forces me to wait in a 10-minute line for a document check prior to entering the security line for an LHR-ABZ flight last week, but doesn't check credentials for passengers on a TATL flight. Okaaaay....
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So let me get this straight - BA forces me to wait in a 10-minute line for a document check prior to entering the security line for an LHR-ABZ flight last week, but doesn't check credentials for passengers on a TATL flight. Okaaaay....
I think as I noted when you posted this already in another thread - there was clearly some error in your case as a document check is not required for BA domestic flights.

For a TATL the normal procedure is a document check prior to security (either visa check desk or at check in), then a passport check against the bp at the gate.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
For the record as a lawyer practicing in the United States I'm a little jealous of those "silly frocks"
Not if you knew how much those frocks cost! Oh wait, you're a lawyer practicing in the United States... $$$
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
She was released from jail this evening! Where will she go next?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is quite a long story in The Guardian about Ms. Hartman, from a journalist who has had direct dealings with her. The gist of the article is that Ms. Hartman has some not particularly serious health issues but the failure to provide appropriate treatment for someone who is also homeless is leading (among other things) to other people losing their jobs over her activities.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ealth-homeless
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
There is quite a long story in The Guardian about Ms. Hartman, from a journalist who has had direct dealings with her. The gist of the article is that Ms. Hartman has some not particularly serious health issues but the failure to provide appropriate treatment for someone who is also homeless is leading (among other things) to other people losing their jobs over her activities.
While it's certainly not a good idea to release someone who has mental health issues without treatment, just to be clear, she is not homeless. She lives in the suburbs of Chicago.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's a tough situation all around. How does one treat someone who doesn't want to be treated? She has been in mental health treatment centers multiple times and walked out. Sending her to a locked facility seems cruel, especially since she isn't doing much harm. Sending her to prison would definitely be cruel and wouldn't help with her underlying problems.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
While it's certainly not a good idea to release someone who has mental health issues without treatment, just to be clear, she is not homeless. She lives in the suburbs of Chicago.
From what I've read, it seems she used to be homeless in the Bay Area but over the past couple years has been hopping between nursing homes and mental health facilities around Chicago.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
She was released from jail this evening! Where will she go next?
Uh-Oh! I don't think such good idea to letting her go. She was supposed to stay at mental health facility. If she done it again. She will be arrested again. She will get another trespassing charges.

Yeah, I am aware of this. She was supposed to stay at mental health facility, but she cannot leaves. She won't go to airports. If she done it again. She will be arrested again. She will wear an electronic ankle monitoring bracelet.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
My then 5 year old son went missing at the gate at palma airport. He went behind a pillar and like magic did not re appear.

After a few mins someone said I think he went that way - Pointing to the boarding gate

With an agent there is just ran past ( they didn’t bat an eyelid or try to stop me and I found him patiently waiting at the aircraft door. So 2 of us got through. It only takes one human the have a moment of inatention.

If they check boarding passes on long haul ... why don’t they on short haul ? I last flew ba to duseldorf and back on Friday and there was no check of bp. I can see why aircraft size would change procedures.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
If they check boarding passes on long haul ... why don’t they on short haul ? I last flew ba to duseldorf and back on Friday and there was no check of bp. I can see why aircraft size would change procedures.
the bp check is primarily to make sure you head off down the right aisle in the right direction on a widebody, not something that is an issue on a short haul aircraft. the bp is not an id check on boarding a long haul aircraft.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The boarding card check is on twin aisle aircraft and nothing to do with long haul or short haul.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.