Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AA Lounge Denver - “no more alcohol for BA passengers”

Old Jan 19, 18, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)

Tonight’s BA 218 Denver - LHR has been delayed by at least an hour for engineers to look at the aircraft. Most of the premium passengers have returned to the lounge to be told by the bar manager she is telling the staff to stop serving alcoholic drinks to any BA passenger as she does not want them too drunk to get on the aircraft!

Apparently a group sitting for a couple of hours drinking double shots have swayed her decision but you can imagine the response from most passengers: I have been here for two hours and had a single glass of wine!

One might suggest a more sensible solution would be to withhold drinks from the group drinking double shots rather than the other 60 or so passengers who are behaving completely sensibly...
TPRun likes this.
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
It certainly wouldn't be the first time that AA lounge staff have done this. I have seen where people were "cut off" arbitrarily by certain lounge staff, while others were happy to continue serving. The US does have "dram shop" and "social host" laws so I'd assume that the AA bar manager is being mindful of the former, but a blanket ban on all BA passengers seems extreme. I agree that the most sensible option would be to limit those who have been drinking shots, or perhaps allow beer and wine only. If they do cut off the shot drinkers, they may just go somewhere else!
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Have they cut off alcohol completely or only premium drinks?
In normal (non-Flagship) AA lounges, one needs a special ticket for a premium drink. For TATL, TPAC, and a few others, you would get 2 when you check-in at the lounge entry desk, given by the AAgent. Otherwise you're relegated to low-end beer, wine, and perhaps a few mixed drinks.

Once inside the lounge, how are they distinguishing the BA passengers from others?
If the lounge is at maximum capacity they can restrict access, but I don't see how they can restrict consumption--of anything--once inside.
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Bar manager sounds like a busybody. Some T5 style pilfering called for.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Jan 20, 18, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Have they cut off alcohol completely or only premium drinks?
In normal (non-Flagship) AA lounges, one needs a special ticket for a premium drink. For TATL, TPAC, and a few others, you would get 2 when you check-in at the lounge entry desk, given by the AAgent. Otherwise you're relegated to low-end beer, wine, and perhaps a few mixed drinks.

Once inside the lounge, how are they distinguishing the BA passengers from others?
If the lounge is at maximum capacity they can restrict access, but I don't see how they can restrict consumption--of anything--once inside.
Denver is a different setup from most other AA lounges, with the best craft beer selection I have ever seen in a lounge! They have a very nice food/beer/drink menu, all is charged by consumption, except for if you flash your BA boarding pass, in which case it all is free of charge (no tickets needed). There is no access to free pouring bottles, or any kind of alcohol or food (except for snacks), unless you order from bar. So quite easy, they decided to stop giving free alcohol to people with BA BPs...
Old Jan 20, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Another US destination to wipe off then...not many left now...wish BA would do the same in UK with some loud Americans!
davm666 and lostinlondon like this.