Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More 380’s for BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Back in 2015 I got sitting next to a BA pilot on my DUB-LHR leg of my Hawaii trip and he showed me the fuel burn for a 777 and a 380 from LHR-HKG and per mile per passenger (Cant remember what the numbers were) it was cheaper to run a 777 down to HKG than a 380.
ML
I forget what TV show this was from, but it was a on-the-ground documentary about LHR (maybe). It wasn’t Britain’s busiest airport. Maybe someone saw it and can remind me/is! Anyway, I made a note of the A380 fueling. So...

95,000ltrs of Aviation fuel.

£20,000 (at the time of recording, summer 2016)

It takes 30mins to fill up.

No idea what a 777 stats are in comparison :S
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by 13900
Turning the BA15 in a 380 route would mean having 3 frames, every single day, employed on LHR-SIN-SYD. Ain't enough of them, today. And even if there were, the SIN-SYD would probably go red. SIN-SYD was loss-making on a 744, mainly because of the low seat factor and the operating costs of the route. There was no way to compete on price with the ME3s with a four-engine, 14xcrew plus flight crew on each flight unless you flew the route at a loss. The 77W has lower costs, can (and is) filled to capacity on most days and requires less crew. Throw in a 380 with 22 crew and 470 seats and all the work to save that route would be wasted. If this was still 2003, perhaps. But I'm afraid it isn't.
As much as I'd love to see the A380 on BA15/16 LHR-SIN-SYD route, I have to agree with the above that an A380 on the SIN-SYD leg isn't going to work for BA; Y seems more occupied than J over the years I've flown to/from SYD. Now QF is returning to SIN, so it will be telling if the 773 will remain profitable after QF switches back to SIN.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Stez
As much as I'd love to see the A380 on BA15/16 LHR-SIN-SYD route, I have to agree with the above that an A380 on the SIN-SYD leg isn't going to work for BA; Y seems more occupied than J over the years I've flown to/from SYD. Now QF is returning to SIN, so it will be telling if the 773 will remain profitable after QF switches back to SIN.
And QF is running A380 on SYD-SIN-LHR isn't it?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Stez
I’m always amazed SIN-SYD survives as it does given the level of one stop J & F competition between LHR and SYD - you have to be pretty committed to BA (or have no choice) to end up in 777 Club World on this route.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
And QF is running A380 on SYD-SIN-LHR isn't it?
Yes, from March on QF1/2. QF is also changing the daily QF35/36 MEL-SIN to an A380. And still keeping the A330 QF81/82 SYD-SIN service. Not forgetting the west coast will get a direct PER-LHR in March too.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I’m always amazed SIN-SYD survives as it does given the level of one stop J & F competition between LHR and SYD - you have to be pretty committed to BA (or have no choice) to end up in 777 Club World on this route.
Or look at it another way - the laughable percentage of US-AUS traffic BA actually gets. Yes, sitting in 777 J on this route is a tragedy. But given the prominent ties between the US and AUS and the amount of traffic in between, the fact BA flies one 777 proves how terrible of a product it has.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by sts603
Or look at it another way - the laughable percentage of US-AUS traffic BA actually gets. Yes, sitting in 777 J on this route is a tragedy. But given the prominent ties between the US and AUS and the amount of traffic in between, the fact BA flies one 777 proves how terrible of a product it has.
I'd find it more laughable for a US traveller to fly via LHR and SIN to get to SYD!

I use the SIN-SYD service regularly and it is almost always full.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
All these posts about why BA shouldn't buy it, yet they must want too as they've made it clear in the past and Willie said very recently with the recent EK order they will take a look at buying new ones.
If BA to get more, it will be to return IAD and BOS, add DFW and return LAX to 2 A380. I very much doubt they'll be flying anywhere but west of the UK.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Even with LHR-SIN, on a similar route MH believe A350s are 30% cheaper to operate on LHR-KUL compared to an A380 and their last A380 flight to London will run next month. They also struggled getting that many bums on seats.

I think BA might find it difficult to find viable routes for some new A380s. I guess the A380s would be useful if there was a significant improvement in the world economy and the completion date of the third runaway at LHR is pushed beyond the lifespan/lease of the planes?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:46 am

Perhaps it's not about getting "bums on seats", maybe it's more turning a route that is 2 or 3 flights a day in to 1 or 2, freeing a pair of slots...
rockflyertalk and TedToToe like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by email2markt
I think BA might find it difficult to find viable routes for some new A380s. I guess the A380s would be useful if there was a significant improvement in the world economy and the completion date of the third runaway at LHR is pushed beyond the lifespan/lease of the planes?
Unless of course, the modified interior of those new A380 (raised floor, smaller stairs, option to move parts of the galley to the lower lobe, etc.) allows them to maintain the number of Y seats but increase the number of CW and WTP seats. If they can fill those additional premium seats, then the A380 may make sense on some routes. The per seat cost may still be inferior to the T7 and A350s, but the increased revenue may be sufficient to make up for that.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by email2markt
I think it highly likely that will be beyond all our lifespans.
email2markt and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:10 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Flight Global article today:

"IAG chief executive Willie Walsh is interested in purchasing more Airbus A380s but "wouldn't waste 10 seconds on it" based on prices he has seen.

"We're always open to offers from Airbus," Walsh said in Brussels today. "We're not negotiating – we've said very clearly to Airbus, if they want to sell A380s they need to be aggressive on pricing."

He describes prices he has seen from Airbus, however, as "unacceptable to us", adding that he is "not going to waste any time coming up with a price. That's for [Airbus]. If they want to sell the aircraft, they know that we're a potential buyer… They know that we're open to operating more of them… but only if the price is right."

Full article
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...iculou-446484/

Just part of WW negotiating with Airbus through public media or his true position?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:39 pm

Well it's clearly a negotiation strategy but given how desperate Airbus are for buyers it's probably the right move. Airbus are so desperate and have no path to recouping the program they'd probably move them close to cost price. If BA are really desperate they can wait a few years until there are more in the second-hand market. With almost no demand for a second hand A380, they'll be very cheap.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:44 pm

Standby for an anouncement of an order, perhaps in the next 2 weeks.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.