Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight + Avis Car Hire - Avis charging on collection when prepaid?

Old Jan 18, 18, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have a very simple booking coming up: EDI-LHR with a car rental from avis booked at same time as flights on same booking.

If I login to the booking on avis it says “To pay on collection: £62.90” but I thought it was all prepaid (except extra insurance they try and sell you at the desk obviously ).

Just wondering if this is a known/common issue or if I need to call BA or Avis.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by liviboy; Jan 18, 18 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Wouldn’t worry about it as long as you have your coupon it will cover the cost.
liviboy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Madfish. It’s what I thought but just wanted to check.
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
This is quite normal. Avis will process your voucher at the counter and apply this to any standard fees due.
liviboy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)
I wouldn’t worry. I have had times when there have been discrepancies (even if I haven’t taken outbextras), butbthen just British Ng the voucher and they will straighten it out.... One good thing to always print, car rental and hotel vouchers... Have saved me fr M later headaches quite a few times!
liviboy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 3:49 pm

I queried this same scenario the first time (3 years ago) I booked a BA flight and car combo with Avis customer services, and was advised that the reservation is effectively a third party booking and any monies paid would credit at pick-up. Indeed, upon collection of the vehicle (without having to present the BA voucher) there were no monies due and all was good.

I’ve had 9 rentals through this arrangement since and every time either the Avis website or the App shows a ‘balance due’ until the point of collection, but this disappears upon pick-up of the vehicle. Don’t worry, but take your BA voucher just in case.
liviboy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Really greatly appreciated!

Feeling a lot better now :-)
Old Jan 19, 18, 1:34 am

Agree with all above, but do check paperwork before driving away. I've had a couple of incidences where the coupon value didn't cover what Avis had charged, and staff member hasn't done anything about it. They did fix it when I pointed it out to them.
Old Jan 19, 18, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Renting from Avis at Turin last week I found out after driving away there were extra charges on the invoice (location surcharge + road tax which should have been included). However when I returned the car, the extra charges were no longer on the invoice and I wasn't charged anything. They also added the pre-paid fuel without me asking but removed it when I returned the car full.
Old Jan 19, 18, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by musehead View Post
Renting from Avis at Turin last week I found out after driving away there were extra charges on the invoice (location surcharge + road tax which should have been included). However when I returned the car, the extra charges were no longer on the invoice and I wasn't charged anything. They also added the pre-paid fuel without me asking but removed it when I returned the car full.
Very true! I had some difficulty getting PAI refunded after not noticing that this was on an Avios.com booking when I picked up the car.
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold
Slightly off topic question

Looking to purchase a flight + car rental for PHL-LHR-GLA. Picking up rental in Glasgow.
I've gone almost all the way through the booking without getting a chance to pick seats. (Yes, I know I would have to pay for seat selection)

Is it because I would only be paying a deposit on entire cost? Or can I still go in once I have the record locator and then select seats?

Thanks in advance

Search this Thread
Search Engine: