Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How early before flight can I check bags at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:57 pm
BLG
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others

I'm flying LAX-LHR next week in WTP. I may be at the airport early. Am I restricted to only being able to check my bags three hours or less before the flight, or can I check my bags any time during the day of the flight? Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (Oh yeah!)
Hi, Can't give you an official answer, but a few months ago. I got my timings wrong in LA and ended up at the airport 5hrs before my flight. BA happily checked me in and pointed me towards the lounge.
Silver flying wt+
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It may tell you something if you go to MMB / Other Ways to Check in. I know they do clarify (e.g.) that JFK takes bags in earlier but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't fully comprehensive.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by BLG
I'm flying LAX-LHR next week in WTP. I may be at the airport early. Am I restricted to only being able to check my bags three hours or less before the flight, or can I check my bags any time during the day of the flight? Thanks.
Which BA flight are you on? If it’s the early departure, i’d guess check-in doesn’t open until the standard 3hrs before departure time. However I have been booked on the late BA departure, arrived around 1pm for it and they accepted my bags.

Pilot37
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:20 pm
BLG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pilot37

Which BA flight are you on? If it’s the early departure, i’d guess check-in doesn’t open until the standard 3hrs before departure time. However I have been booked on the late BA departure, arrived around 1pm for it and they accepted my bags.

Pilot37
I'm on the late flight, #268 , departs 9:00 PM. I may have to take a coach to the airport that gets me in at mid-afternoon. Figured I'd spend my time in the T4 AC and then walk over the bridge when the time comes. Perhaps being OW Ruby will help with early check in if that matters for BA at LAX? Which reminds me, I need to call BA and have them put my AA number on the bookings, not that the priority boarding seems to matter much on BA :-)...but maybe it matters for early baggage check?

Just hope I don't have to sit around a Starbucks for hours before I check my bags!

Last edited by BLG; Jan 18, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:22 pm
BLG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It may tell you something if you go to MMB / Other Ways to Check in. I know they do clarify (e.g.) that JFK takes bags in earlier but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't fully comprehensive.
I looked there. Couldn't find anything. Thanks for the thought.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A couple of years ago I was on the 935pm BA flight and arrived off a coach from anaheim at 3pm and was able to check in with no problems.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:01 pm
BLG
Original Poster

Thanks -- I think I'm going to be in pretty much the same boat. It sounds like it's likely that it won't be a problem. Don't fancy spending three hours at Starbucks waiting to check in but worse things could happen.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:11 pm

The answer

You can check your bags in at LAX for the 18h00 BA flight to London at 1.45pm, which is when the British Airways counter opens
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I can only speak for Miami, but on 31 January for the 17.15 departure to LHR (with a delayed departure time of 20:55 and a revised check-in close at 18:55) desks were open when I checked in bag at 12.45.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.