Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What to do when British Airways ignores you?

Old Jan 17, 18, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Hello, I am an American and I have written several times to British Airways as they cancelled my flight while on layover, left me stranded at London airport for several days as I had to sleep at the airport. Worst of all, they did not get me to my final destination as I had to fly with a different airline. Since British Airways customer relations is ignoring me despite giving them weeks to makeup for the matter let me know what can be done, who to complain about them to, who else to contact. Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Tweet them? That's what I usually do when a large company ignores my emails...
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by fay637 View Post
Hello, I am an American and I have written several times to British Airways as they cancelled my flight while on layover, left me stranded at London airport for several days as I had to sleep at the airport. Worst of all, they did not get me to my final destination as I had to fly with a different airline. Since British Airways customer relations is ignoring me despite giving them weeks to makeup for the matter let me know what can be done, who to complain about them to, who else to contact. Thank you.
Maybe if you provided some dates, flights, and times this would help the boys here determine your best course of action.
rockflyertalk and navylad like this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Twitter is a good way to get in touch, but otherwise you best give Customer Relations a call. Just ring BA on the usual number during the UK afternoon and select the option that relates to previous travel.

There's no reason to sleep in an airport when flying BA, you are protected by EC261, including hotel costs, more details in this forum's Dashboard.
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC

Yes, if you could provide more detailed information, you will hopefully receive some excellent advice to help you with your complaint. Good luck.
Old Jan 17, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Agree with PUCCI GALORE and would also add that it woudl be good to know how/why this happened.

BA is usually quite good at this sort of thing and would normally get you to your final destination if something went wrong, though of course processes do fail. If the flight was cancelled due to BA's decision (including weather, etc., but excluding you missing the flight of your own volition) then they also should have arranged for a hotel - or at least reimburse you after the fact. (They are less good at arranging accommodation than they are at rebooking).

It'd also be good to know if you missed any flights, and how you bought your BA tickets (e.g., were you ticketed on an AA codeshare, did you use miles, etc.). Some of this may change whether or not BA is liable.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Most of these posts are not helpful. I don't need to give you private details. And of course I missed my flight and had to fly with another airline two days later. I'm looking to know where to go and who to talk to, not twitter. I would have thought there are some agencies, authorities overlooking European Airlines if not corporate BA
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:42 am

Most of these posts are not helpful. I don't need to give you private details. I'm looking to know where to go and who to talk to, not twitter. I would have thought there are some agencies, authorities overlooking European Airlines.
What people are asking for is information which can help inform where to direct you.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:48 am

left me stranded at London airport for several days as I had to sleep at the airport. Worst of all, they did not get me to my final destination as I had to fly with a different airline.
This doesn't make much sense. Why did you need to sleep in the airport for several days? Did BA refuse to offer hotel accommodation? Did they refuse to rebook you?
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Most of these posts are not helpful. I don't need to give you private details. And of course I missed my flight and had to fly with another airline two days later. I'm looking to know where to go and who to talk to, not twitter. I would have thought there are some agencies, authorities overlooking European Airlines if not corporate BA
Yes it's quite OK to disclose as little or as much as you wish here, but broadly speaking general questions get general answers. I've given you two suggestions, but if that's not appropriate for you then there are escalation processes to the National Enforcement Body (NEB) relevant to your case. If it was in the UK it would be the CAA. However if it's EC261 related you need to deal with the airline first before contacting the NEB. If you are not happy with BA's response you can escalate to CEDR or MCOL. More and fairly comprehensive details in the main EC261 thread.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Most of these posts are not helpful. I don't need to give you private details.
No you don't (And I would not call flight number and date a private detail...) but those would help in determining whether to direct you to compensation for delay (EC261), customer relations for avios compensation, hotel expenses (which you did not have), etc... The more info we have the better we can direct your complaint/query.
In any case, in EU you are protected and you should not need to sleep at the airport floor if the connecting flight on the same ticket is missed, so perhaps if you wrote to us earlier we could have offered even more advice.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: Meow Mix
How about:
  • What route or flight numbers were you flying from/connecting to?
  • What BA status or OneWorld status do you have?
  • What date were you flying?
  • What class were you flying?
  • What was the reason for cancellation from BA?
  • How did you contact with BA so far, email/phone or through the contact form on ba.com?
  • Was this all in one booking or not?
Stez likes this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MPH1980 View Post
What people are asking for is information which can help inform where to direct you.
I understand the OP’s desire for privacy, but we here work from detailed facts and can usually find answers.

If a 2-way Twitter engagement with BA staffers is deemed inappropriate, the OP is cutting off one of the best means of getting answers. I therefore suggest he contacts his Congressman. Sorry if that causes offence.
gate4lounge and vulle like this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I can understand people not wanting to give specific details but a date and flight number would be extremely useful. The BA Board is well known over many years for helping passengers who need guidance. Even though we bicker from time to time with varying views on matters, there is a huge amount of experience here and there is genuine goodwill trying to advise you.

It's not clear whether you have done so or not but if you raise a complaint with BA on ba.com then it will be given a case number and enquired into. I don't know the exact timescale of getting a reply so perhaps those in the know can advise on hat but 4-6 weeks is not unusual.

Did you get any form of reply from BA when you wrote your letters?

Here is the link.

Complaints and claims details
Old Jan 17, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes the people on this board are incredibly kind and patient, despite OP's best efforts to the contrary...it's one of the greatest things about FT!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: