Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Protected on same day return ticket (with checked baggage)?

Old Jan 16, 18, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond

So I booked a fare on a single ticket (for 4 BA segments)

AAA - xLHR - EDI
EDI -xLHR - CCC (final sector departure the following morning)

My layover in EDI is slightly under 2hrs on the same day. I will have checked luggage

Would I be protected on the return at EDI in the event that the LHR-EDI is delayed and I am unable to collect my luggage and re-checkin at EDI (ideally I would be able to get my luggage short checked to LHR, then retagged LHR to CCC but I am not counting on it).

Last edited by ermen; Jan 17, 18 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 16, 18, 10:49 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ermen View Post
So I booked a fare on a single ticket

AAA - xLHR - EDI
EDI -xLHR - CCC

My layover in EDI is slightly under 2hrs on the same day. I will have checked luggage

Would I be protected on the return at EDI in the event that the LHR-EDI is delayed and I am unable to collect my luggage and re-checkin at EDI (ideally I would be able to get my luggage short checked to LHR, then retagged LHR to CCC but I am not counting on it).
In principle no, as EDI-CCC is a separte trip from AAA-EDI.
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:13 pm

If it's all on one ticket and your gap between each segment is less than 24h, should they not be able to check the bag from AAA-CCC? When I flew LGW-VIE-LHR last year (24h 5min in VIE for work) the check in guy checked the bag through to LHR without asking (and without me wanting that).
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, BA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hypercrypt View Post
If it's all on one ticket and your gap between each segment is less than 24h, should they not be able to check the bag from AAA-CCC? When I flew LGW-VIE-LHR last year (24h 5min in VIE for work) the check in guy checked the bag through to LHR without asking (and without me wanting that).
It would need to be checked AAA-LHR-CCC as the same airport cannot be on the tag twice. But this needs some manual intervention.
Old Jan 17, 18, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by duvin View Post
It would need to be checked AAA-LHR-CCC as the same airport cannot be on the tag twice. But this needs some manual intervention.
...which I assume would not be done as it would be checking baggage through on separate tickets!
Old Jan 17, 18, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by caz312 View Post
...which I assume would not be done as it would be checking baggage through on separate tickets!
OP says it's one ticket?
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
OP says it's one ticket?
apologies missed that....
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by duvin View Post
How does that work? Luggage had to follow passenger to EDI or it will get off loaded. LHR cannot appear twice. Also, although on one ticket, this is two journeys, not a convoluted route from AAA to CCC, by the way the OP has described it.

Old Jan 17, 18, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FrancisA View Post
How does that work? Luggage had to follow passenger to EDI or it will get off loaded.
I don't see why. The bag would be tagged for two flights: AAA-LHR and LHR-CCC.

Then:-
1. AAA-LHR - bag travels with passenger
2. LHR-EDI - passenger travels to EDI, bag remains at LHR
3. EDI-LHR - passenger travels to LHR, bag remains at LHR
4. LHR-CCC - bag loaded at LHR, bag travels with passenger

If the passenger chooses not to travel on a sector for which the bag is tagged and onto which the bag might be loaded, then the bag should not be loaded.

But AIUI the passenger can choose to travel on a sector for which the bag is not tagged and onto which the bag is not loaded. This, for example, is how an ex-EU passenger can check a bag for sector 2 LHR-XXX, but not for sector 1 OSL-LHR. The bag is checked and remains at LHR while the passenger flies OSL-LHR alone.

What I don't know is whether BA would do this for the OP as a matter of policy. But I can't see any technical reason why not.

But as for the OP's original question, my surmise would be that the OP would be protected. It can't be right that if you have a ticket for AAA-BBB-AAA, with a planned short (but legal) stop at BBB, if the AAA-BBB flight is late then the OP loses their BBB-AAA flight just because it's a separate journey. If on two separate tickets, then BBB-AAA would not be protected. But if they're both on the same ticket ...
Old Jan 17, 18, 6:14 am

How long are the two connections in LHR

would it be possible to leave the baggage at left luggage at LHR and not have the hassle of taking it to EDI
That is assuming OP has time to do this and can get the bags short checked on AAA-LHR-EDI
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bricksoft View Post
How long are the two connections in LHR

would it be possible to leave the baggage at left luggage at LHR and not have the hassle of taking it to EDI
That is assuming OP has time to do this and can get the bags short checked on AAA-LHR-EDI
Indeed my layover is c.5 hours which I HOPE is plenty of time to collect luggage, leave at left luggage, and then to enjoy the LPGS in the CCR.
I actually am booked to stay at the HGI so theoretically I could go and leave it at the hotel and go back to the hotel to save some money
But I am thinking contingencies here

1st choice would be to check it through AAA-xLHR-CCC
2nd would be to probably short check to LHR (but it will cost me 11*)... maybe I should just wing it to EDI and hope they protect me)

Edit: left luggage fees
navylad likes this.

Last edited by ermen; Jan 17, 18 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:15 am

Why would it cost you 11?
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 17, 18, 7:34 am

Why would it cost you 11?
I'm guessing that's the left luggage cost.
Old Jan 17, 18, 11:23 am

Ah, but as a GGL he can just check in the bag straight away for the flight to CCC, no?
Old Jan 17, 18, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Ah, but as a GGL he can just check in the bag straight away for the flight to CCC, no?
ah my final sector is on the following day - dont think LHR allows day before checkin

Since clarified in the original post.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: