Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA passenger arrested for wearing too many clothes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA passenger arrested for wearing too many clothes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:35 am

I bet they would have more to say if you turned up wearing no clothes,
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:41 am

How does one wear more than a couple of pairs of trousers anyway? Were the other 6 pairs pyjamas or track pants or something?
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Should've sold some clothes!
Like Simon from the Inbetweeners
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Pathetic.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by albpenny
He was also refused boarding by easyJet the next day for the same thing.
No he wasn't, or at least it was not reported whether he tried the same thing [wearing all his clothes]. The easyJet captain decided to deny boarding because of the previous day's incident.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:49 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
How does one wear more than a couple of pairs of trousers anyway? Were the other 6 pairs pyjamas or track pants or something?
I`ve unfortunately had to do what the character in the article has done -- you layer on tight-fitting pants (skinny jeans, running leggings, etc.) followed by gym shorts, then looser trousers/jeans (use a safety pin to "close" your trousers as the waist area is not likely to close at this point), followed by elastic-waistband bottoms such as sweatpants. I was also wearing an undershirt, shirt, sweater, cardigan, jacket, and overcoat as a university student coming back from a semester abroad with way too many souvenirs than sane and already maxed out baggage allowances (4 x 32 kg). The minute I got past the people who cared, I took them all the extraneous layers off and put them in a folded reusable bag I'd kept in my carry-on luggage. No harm, no foul (other than perhaps going over my carry-on limit -- but then I'd argue even with the extra layers I still weighed less than many on board).

It was a sweaty hour or so, but no one cared -- it was the rudeness and attitude were what did this person in.
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
There was a risk he would endanger himself and other passengers if he was allowed onboard. How safely/quickly would he have been able to evacuate in an emergency while wearing god knows how many pairs of trousers and jumpers? Also a risk of heatstroke if he didn't take everything off (likely given how hot BA planes are) - and if he did take everything off, where would things be stored?
Seriously ???? Endanger himself wearing clothes, not able to evacuate.

Do you not watch the sorts of people that get on a plane. There's many a person gets on a plane that would have serious trouble getting off it in an emergency. This guy is no larger (and probably smaller) than half the American population and they all get let on board (and the contract check in agent looks larger than the PAX being denied boarding).

So it's rank stupidity all round. Some jobsworth decided to flex their muscles like so many people in positions of pseudo power.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I think that the case had been listed already: Someone collapse from wearing too much clothing (essentially having a heat stroke). I don't think that there's any room for these types of passengers on a commercial airplane.

Re: the denied boarding I'm pretty sure that any carrier could pull multiple valid reasons from the CoC to deny boarding.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:19 pm

Do you not watch the sorts of people that get on a plane. There's many a person gets on a plane that would have serious trouble getting off it in an emergency. This guy is no larger (and probably smaller) than half the American population and they all get let on board (and the contract check in agent looks larger than the PAX being denied boarding).

So it's rank stupidity all round. Some jobsworth decided to flex their muscles like so many people in positions of pseudo power.
Big difference when you have a large person who usually CAN walk versus an idiot who can't move due to the amount of clothes he is wearing.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
There are certainly enough "idiots" who consumer sufficient alcohol to impair their ability to swiftly evacuate Aircraft in the unlikely event in an emergency in my experience. Perhaps the major crime of this lad is to not be middle aged business type?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Re: the denied boarding I'm pretty sure that any carrier could pull multiple valid reasons from the CoC to deny boarding.
Even if that is the case, I would question whether it was the right course of action. It would have cost BA nothing to allow him on board - now they will receive some negative publicity. It's not going to influence my choice of carrier, but it does leave the distinct impression that at least some BA check-in staff are power-tripping jobsworths. What's the upside?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

Or possibly a diligent employee stopping someone from gaming the system. There are becoming far too many instances of people attempting to bend the rules for their own advantage. If you don’t like an airline’s rules or charges, don’t fly with them.
LTN Phobia, navylad and WorldLux like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Even if that is the case, I would question whether it was the right course of action. It would have cost BA nothing to allow him on board - now they will receive some negative publicity.
I wouldn't count on it getting tons of negative publicity. Plenty of passengers are likely to disapprove of such behaviour which essentially boils down to being to cheap to check bags. Not to mention that nobody beats BA in getting them tons of negative publicity.

Him putting several layers of cloths into the bins will take up lots of space. And for what? Saving a couple of quid? For giggles and laughs? For clicks?

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
What's the upside?
The evident upside from an airline's perspective is to prevent copycats. If he had been successful, then you probably see a couple copycats trying the very same thing.
kanderson1965 and navylad like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
it was vaguely funny until he tried to blame "racial profiling". Absolutely ridiculous and what a sense of over-entitlement.

He was also refused boarding by easyJet the next day for the same thing.
Yes, he did. He repeats not to wear too many clothes. He's breaking the rules. He didn't listen to ticket agents.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yet the article says he was arrested for ‘rudeness’ and not following security instructions to leave the check in desk rather than because of what he was wearing
Yes, he did. He has been arrested. He has to tell not to wear too many clothes and he didn't listen to ticket agents instructions. He's breaking the rules. He barred boarding on any airlines for life.

Originally Posted by :D!
No he wasn't, or at least it was not reported whether he tried the same thing [wearing all his clothes]. The easyJet captain decided to deny boarding because of the previous day's incident.
Yes, he did. He repeats, repeat not to wear a too many clothes. That's real problems. He didn't listen to ticket agents. He's breaking the rules. He will banned flying any airlines for life.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
I`ve unfortunately had to do what the character in the article has done -- you layer on tight-fitting pants (skinny jeans, running leggings, etc.) followed by gym shorts, then looser trousers/jeans (use a safety pin to "close" your trousers as the waist area is not likely to close at this point), followed by elastic-waistband bottoms such as sweatpants. I was also wearing an undershirt, shirt, sweater, cardigan, jacket, and overcoat as a university student coming back from a semester abroad with way too many souvenirs than sane and already maxed out baggage allowances (4 x 32 kg). The minute I got past the people who cared, I took them all the extraneous layers off and put them in a folded reusable bag I'd kept in my carry-on luggage. No harm, no foul (other than perhaps going over my carry-on limit -- but then I'd argue even with the extra layers I still weighed less than many on board).

It was a sweaty hour or so, but no one cared -- it was the rudeness and attitude were what did this person in.
How did you manage at security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.