Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA passenger arrested for wearing too many clothes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/p...gage-fees.html

I'm mightily impressed by his lateral thinking - but then I remembered that I can last at least a week without laundry or hold baggage and I still don't smell bad.

(Apologies if this has been done and also for linking back to the main FT site).
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
it was vaguely funny until he tried to blame "racial profiling". Absolutely ridiculous and what a sense of over-entitlement.

He was also refused boarding by easyJet the next day for the same thing.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:16 am

I vaguely remember a story similar to this a few years ago, but the person got on the flight without issue and then overheated.

Ah yes. My google skills are still good.
James McElvar passes out on EasyJet flight after wearing 12 layers to avoid luggage fee | Daily Mail Online

And here's another one, also to Iceland (but EastJet as above).
EasyJet Passenger Wears All His Clothes On Airplane To Avoid Baggage Fees
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
1) Why didn't he put everything in a carry-on
2) Why was he travelling with one of those 5p bags you get at Tesco/Sainsbury/Coop
3) Interesting that he immediately jumps to "racial profiling"
4) If you make an a** of yourself, then prepare to be treated as such

Particularly on BA, it makes you look like a complete and utter m**** given that they still allow you to have carry-on with a max weight of 23kg (So plenty of room if you pack everything in those vacuum bags and fill it to the brim.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Did he break any T&Cs? By the look of the video he took it was him who was calm and trying to talk about it, and the BA staff and security who did not want a record of it...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I vaguely remember a story similar to this a few years ago, but the person got on the flight without issue and then overheated.

Ah yes. My google skills are still good.
James McElvar passes out on EasyJet flight after wearing 12 layers to avoid luggage fee Daily Mail Online
That chap cracks me up , will be a total cheap skate when it comes to bag fees but will pay top whack for a large cup of coffee from Starbucks. How absurdly ironic.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
Did he break any T&Cs? By the look of the video he took it was him who was calm and trying to talk about it, and the BA staff and security who did not want a record of it...
There was a risk he would endanger himself and other passengers if he was allowed onboard. How safely/quickly would he have been able to evacuate in an emergency while wearing god knows how many pairs of trousers and jumpers? Also a risk of heatstroke if he didn't take everything off (likely given how hot BA planes are) - and if he did take everything off, where would things be stored?
awayIgo and navylad like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Worcester
Did he break any T&Cs?
Not a lawyer, but I would think they might rely on the scope of 7a1 and 7a2 of the CoC, namely:

We may decide to refuse to carry you or your baggage if one or more of the following has happened or we reasonably believe may happen.
7a1) If carrying you or your baggage may put the safety of the aircraft or the safety or health of any person in the aircraft in danger.
7a2) If carrying you or your baggage may affect the comfort of any person in the aircraft.
Per the upthread example, he could have been at risk of overheating (as the other individual did), or having restricted mobility, impacting safety and/or comfort. Or possibly they would go with the notion that anyone daft enough to do this would fall under 7a6

7a6) If your mental or physical state or health is a danger or risk to you, the aircraft or any person in it.
Ah, beaten to it by albpenny
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by albpenny
it was vaguely funny until he tried to blame "racial profiling". Absolutely ridiculous and what a sense of over-entitlement.

He was also refused boarding by easyJet the next day for the same thing.
yup, he definitely sounded like an ar*e. Easyjet shouldn't have refunded him, and I do hope BA won't be that lax
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Only one thing to say...

Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yet the article says he was arrested for ‘rudeness’ and not following security instructions to leave the check in desk rather than because of what he was wearing
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yet the article says he was arrested for ‘rudeness’ and not following security instructions to leave the check in desk rather than because of what he was wearing
If he'd been arrested just because of what he was wearing, that would be rather heavy handed by BA and the Icelandic authorities! Instead he was denied boarding due to what he was wearing and was arrested because he refused to leave the check in desk.

he's also now claiming he couldn't afford the excess luggage fee as he'd been homeless in Iceland for a week.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by albpenny
he's also now claiming he couldn't afford the excess luggage fee as he'd been homeless in Iceland for a week.
Hotels cost money! Who would've thought...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Cymro
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/p...gage-fees.html

I'm mightily impressed by his lateral thinking - but then I remembered that I can last at least a week without laundry or hold baggage and I still don't smell bad.

(Apologies if this has been done and also for linking back to the main FT site).
I think the term 'racial profiling' was chosen in an effort to create a public outcry and in the end for some bucks in the pocket.

What a moron.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Hotels cost money! Who would've thought...
Should've sold some clothes!
Ldnn1 and WorldLux like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.