Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in the media 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC
What beats me is why the Captain didn't notice and act upon it.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by babats
What beats me is why the Captain didn't notice and act upon it.
If I'm correct, 4 times the legal flight limit works out at about a pint of beer. There are a lot of people I know that could have a single pint and I'd never notice.

It's a while ago I was learning to fly so I may be remembering that incorrectly.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
If I'm correct, 4 times the legal flight limit works out at about a pint of beer. There are a lot of people I know that could have a single pint and I'd never notice.

It's a while ago I was learning to fly so I may be remembering that incorrectly.
According to the article - he had 86mg/100ml blood drink drive limit is 80mg.
I think it’s a fair assumption that he wasn’t ‘reeling drunk’ but not a good thing to do at all.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Absolutely, I'm not defending the guy. Any alcohol is too much when it comes to the lives of that many people.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:50 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer

Agreed. But passengers noticed, apparently.
If passengers noticed an inebriated FO but not the captain, then the captain should also be investigated.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by fransknorge
When was the previous time this happened ? I seem to recall a similar incident happening not so long ago.
There was one last year (not BA) in Canada where the pilot passed out drunk in the cockpit after he boarded the plane. It was reported his blood alcohol level was 0.24 and he had drunk an entire bottle of vodka before arriving at the plane.
'Ashamed' Sunwing pilot pleads guilty to impaired charge | CBC News
Drunk pilot who appeared to pass out in cockpit sentenced to 8 months | CBC News
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:40 pm

If passengers noticed an inebriated FO but not the captain, then the captain should also be investigated.
According to the articles it was the cabin crew that noticed and called the Police, not the passengers.

We don't know whether the Captain was aware, or had asked the crew to call for assistance.

As it is all subject to legal proceedings it's probably best not to speculate really.
Tobias-UK and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:46 pm

So the Captain does absolutely nothing wrong and he should be investigated? I hope he gets 6 months off on full pay for this. The Captain may not have even seen the FO before the Cabin Crew reported him.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:51 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by simons1

According to the articles it was the cabin crew that noticed and called the Police, not the passengers.

We don't know whether the Captain was aware, or had asked the crew to call for assistance.

As it is all subject to legal proceedings it's probably best not to speculate really.

Ha I misread. Yes then the passengers are out of this, it does make more sense.

Originally Posted by rapidex
So the Captain does absolutely nothing wrong and he should be investigated? I hope he gets 6 months off on full pay for this. The Captain may not have even seen the FO before the Cabin Crew reported him.
I said nothing of the sort, please do not put words in my mouth. If the Captain did not see the FO this makes sense.
@Waterhorse: I am glad to see a BA pilot can keep its head cool.

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Don’t the crew all report together for a pre-flight briefing?

i still maintain that the crew tried to cover it up but he was too obvious so had to ship in just before doors closed.
Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by simons1

...As it is all subject to legal proceedings it's probably best not to speculate really.

Suggesting that contributors to an internet chat-room should not speculate? Good luck with that one

.. and just in case I'm being dense, why should forthcoming legal proceedings limit the fun?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:24 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A number of posts which dragged the thread into a personal spat and threatened to de-rail it have been removed. Play nicely, please.

/mod
Old May 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Rather surprised that this doesn’t appear to have been flagged already (my search revealed nothing, but apologies if I’ve somehow missed a previous mention)

For UK-based FTers ........ Channel 5 TV, at 9pm tonight, May 1st, 60 mins duration :

British Airways, 100 Years in the Sky

Synopsis - “Charting the history of British Airways and secret flights made from neutral Sweden during wartime”
RoyalSwazi and Tobias-UK like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by subject2load
Rather surprised that this doesn’t appear to have been flagged already (my search revealed nothing, but apologies if I’ve somehow missed a previous mention)

For UK-based FTers ........ Channel 5 TV, at 9pm tonight, May 1st, 60 mins duration :

Synopsis - “Charting the history of British Airways and secret flights made from neutral Sweden during wartime”
Good to place to put this but, yea, I think it appeared in another thread somewhere I can’t remember where...

ah blast gotta go its 9.04 and I’m missing it!!
Old May 1, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by subject2load

Just watching. The QR documentary is better in all respects to be honest.
mikeyfly and jday like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.