Wiki Posts
Search

BA in the media 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA in the media 2018

I hope you don't mind starting a new 2018 thread for this... if it hasn't been done so already?! I did a search, promise

Anyway, for any tech enthusiast like me or just a general interest in BA's behind the scenes, I came across this as part of an article in today's Times in the business section.

In summary it's part of a story around the use of blockchain technology and a company that is helping BA use blockchain as a way of verifying passengers. I thought it was interesting. The BA part starts from the 1st main column at “VChain Technology, a Hounslow...” Sorry it's photo and not an online link.

Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Not sure what the advantages of using blockchain for passenger data are. Unless they are going to rely on biometrics and automated process (i.e. where the ordinary check-in agent won't be able to overrule the system), I don't see how a blockchain will prevent individuals impersonating passengers during check-in.

And I'm not sure how this will work with data protection laws. Having more datasets sounds nice and all but if the law prohibits you from keeping these records, what then?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Block chain is useful for preventing fraud, I wonder if it could be used to protect Avios?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

Given that BA could already do a hell of a lot more to protect customers' data, like using two-factor authentication, sending you an email or text when someone logs into your account from an unusual place and so on, I can't see this happening unless there's a short-term financial gain from it.

99% of blockchain talk is hype. Yes, it has valid uses but the primary one right now seems to be for marketing. Something else will be along shortly. This won't stop blockchain being a "thing"; it just won't be the latest thing.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ppp909

99% of blockchain talk is hype. Yes, it has valid uses .
Thats what I said 3 years ago when I was told about bitcoin and it’s value was less than $400! What a fool I was!! I’d be a millionaire now!! :/

BA are already using blockchain through VChain according the article. They could do a lot more, you’re right, but I know that decent technology and support costs money...we all know BAs position on costs.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Guy wears all his clothes to avoid paying to check a bag in, gets refused boarding.

My thoughts, what a bellend.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3741081.html
frasier likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Guy wears all his clothes to avoid paying to check a bag in, gets refused boarding.

My thoughts, what a bellend.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3741081.html
While it is clearly pushing the boundaries, did he, in fact, break any T&Cs though? I would have thought BA informing Easyjet would put them in a very difficult legal position. Perhaps why they organised an alternative flight back to the UK.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Worcester
I would have thought BA informing Easyjet would put them in a very difficult legal position. Perhaps why they organised an alternative flight back to the UK.
As I read it, the alternative flight arranged by BA was the EZY flight.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Thats what I said 3 years ago when I was told about bitcoin and it’s value was less than $400! What a fool I was!! I’d be a millionaire now!! :/

BA are already using blockchain through VChain according the article. They could do a lot more, you’re right, but I know that decent technology and support costs money...we all know BAs position on costs.
And in these cases the companies offering industrialised blockchain solutions are using Blockchain 2.0 which offers "Smart Contracts". This isn't the same blockchain technology that runs Bitcoin.

The advantage of a smart contract is it enforces and verifies the authenticity of a transaction without a centralised middle man, there is no single point of failure. It is vastly more efficient and cost effective than traditional enterprise IT systems.

Blockchain in the form of smart contracts are here to stay, there are new start ups utilising this technology in virtually all sectors. It's not going away any time soon, nor should it.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
And in these cases the companies offering industrialised blockchain solutions are using Blockchain 2.0 which offers "Smart Contracts". This isn't the same blockchain technology that runs Bitcoin.
Do you know how it differs? I’d be keen to hear your thoughts if you do, PM me to avoid stuffing the thread with blockchain chat!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
The advantage of a smart contract is it enforces and verifies the authenticity of a transaction without a centralised middle man, there is no single point of failure. It is vastly more efficient and cost effective than traditional enterprise IT systems.
Not quite - the single point of failure is now the smart contract itself. In the short time it's been around, just one of the smart-contract-based systems has suffered from multiple bugs that drained off huge sums of coins in an apparently irrevocable manner. The best part of it all is that the distributed and immutable nature that you're holding up as its biggest strength makes it effectively impossible to fix these bugs once they're found after release.

I'm sure at some point down the line they'll be very useful in every day life, but that's a long way off and needs some huge breakthroughs first in being able to prove that the contract code is correct before releasing it.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by esspeebee
Not quite - the single point of failure is now the smart contract itself. In the short time it's been around, just one of the smart-contract-based systems has suffered from multiple bugs that drained off huge sums of coins in an apparently irrevocable manner. The best part of it all is that the distributed and immutable nature that you're holding up as its biggest strength makes it effectively impossible to fix these bugs once they're found after release.

I'm sure at some point down the line they'll be very useful in every day life, but that's a long way off and needs some huge breakthroughs first in being able to prove that the contract code is correct before releasing it.
This is only the case for public blockchains. In a private blockchain the impact of resolving bugs is substantially lower in impact and effort.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

BA’s TATL record broken

Norwegian has, according to the Times, taken BA’s fastest recorded transatlantic flight time from JFK to LHR. 5hrs 13min.

Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
News breaking this morning of a BA first officer being taken off BA2063 by police after colleague suspected they could smell alcohol:

BREAKING British Airways pilot of #BA2063 hauled off plane by armed police before takeoff ?after colleagues smelt alcohol on him? | AIRLIVE.net

'Drunk' British Airways pilot hauled from Gatwick flight | Daily Mail Online

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/538341...moved-gatwick/
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Drunk British Airways Pilot Hauled off Plane in LGW

Anyone know more about this ?
‘'Drunk' British Airways pilot is hauled off Gatwick flight by armed police seconds from take-off after 'cabin crew who smelled booze' and feared for passengers called 999’

‘British Airways pilot hauled from plane seconds before take-off by armed police’

‘Cabin crew feared for passengers safety and called 999 after smelling 'alcohol'

‘Pilot was due to fly 300 passengers from Gatwick, London to island of Mauritius’

'Drunk' British Airways pilot hauled from Gatwick flight | Daily Mail Online

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.