Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How many useless phone calls can a person make?

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

The guy sat close to me in the lounge is on no8 - everything from the weather to tax registration and to b*tching on other people. None of it is hugely loud but still, and whenever he is not on his phone, he listens to BBC news without his headset on (which he keeps for his phone calls so that one only hears his annoying voice at least). Surely he could use the headset for those or wait till he gets in the UK?

I'd soooo love for quiet zones to be introduced in lounges. Pretty please.

On the plus side, the lounge attendant is intent on refilling my Champagne glass every few minutes, probably out of sympathy.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
I promise you, this is not me! I'm all done for useless calls today!
orbitmic and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The guy sat close to me in the lounge is on no8 - everything from the weather to tax registration and to b*tching on other people. None of it is hugely loud but still, and whenever he is not on his phone, he listens to BBC news without his headset on (which he keeps for his phone calls so that one only hears his annoying voice at least). Surely he could use the headset for those or wait till he gets in the UK?

On the plus side, the lounge attendant is intent on refilling my Champagne glass every few minutes, probably out of sympathy.
Did you have a chat with the man to please keep it down?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Should have given him a ring
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
If he's not being obtuse/loud, I don't really see anything wrong (other than listening to the news without a headset). I personally find lounges to be terribly boring for the most part, and will happily pass the time by making calls to friends for a quick catch up if possible.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

I would sign your petition in a heartbeat !

Where pointless, overly-noisy calls are concerned “I’m in the lounge, just waiting for my flight” has seemingly superseded “Can you hear me okay ? I’m on the train”

The newer version is probably perceived by the culprits as more fashionable. Both can be equally irritating.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:59 am

I miss having a mobile phone signal jammer.
Someone I know used to have one when living in China and Hong Kong - where the locals frequently speak at the top of their lungs on their mobiles, on the subway, tram, bus, etc. Just a press of a button and the signal goes dead, leaving the speaker literally dumbfounded.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Did you have a chat with the man to please keep it down?
i gave him an unhappy grin on the bbc news jingle and he stopped that a few minutes later. Regarding the persistent calls, even though they very much annoy me, I do not feel that I have any legitimate right to ask someone to not make them. It isn’t forbidden and who am I to decide that discussing Scottish weather could have waited till he was on his own.

I have no interest in imposing my own silent preferences on others which is why I specifically asked for quiet areas in lounges as a solution so that people who want to continue to use them for excited conversations or listening to something loud can continue doing so whilst the rest of us who wish for silence can benefit from specific areas where this is enforceable.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
@orbitmic: Just tell him.

I had a similar guy watching Youtube at full volume in the CX lounge. Got up. Walked over and told him to either use headphones or mute his laptop. I received a snarky reply and the guy was visibly angry that someone dared to say something but it was quiet after that.
Wangja, aceman, Stormbel and 5 others like this.

Last edited by WorldLux; Jan 15, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

90% quiet zone, 10% non-quiet zone, the 10% being dedicated booths for noise-making activities including phone calls.

Pretty please

I seriously think a lot of people would benefit from that, including noisemakers. I suspect some noisemakers feel somewhat bad about their noise-making activities and they can make noise to their heart's content if they have a noise-making booth.

Can we also get a noise-making area on aeroplanes as well though, please?

I had pretty miserable flights recently due to noise and I am feeling very put off about my next one.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
You all surprise me. You are collectively quick enough to sound off here, but faced with the slightest actual confrontation every one backs down. Posting it here, Sweetheart, Love you though I do will always get my sympathy for I always try to be kind to those less fortunate than me. () (you know how kind I am to CIHY as one day we will all be like him unless we have a little luck and lots of decent moisturiser.)

Pucci's tip. When he finally ends his call, butt in and give your opinion, anything that shows that you were listening. Now if he says how very dare you listen into my calls, you just say that since he was publicly broadcasting you thought that this was a comunnal conversation and that you could all join in. If he told me that I was extremely rude, I would say that of course I was but my Mother brought me up not to eat in the street, talk loudly anywhere, or to lift my skirt over my head in front of strangers.

If you think that I would not hesitate for one second to do the above, then prepare for a shock. You and I should go traveling some time. Would you like that Poppet? You could always pass me off as your Glam Gran (I'm assuming that you're under 40 or the arithmetic won't work)

Remember that fact that no one has faced them down emboldens them.
Grog, Gerbs, orbitmic and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended

We live in a 'me' society. What bothers you or I is of no interest whatsoever to someone in their 'me' world bubble. Look around you and observe how manners, politeness and consideration for others has disappeared from much of societal norms today. Especially when it comes to cellphones.

For example, if you ask a friend to meet you for lunch to 'catch up' on what you've both been up to lately, do you answer calls or texts while you are having lunch with that person? If you do, what you are telling your friend is that whoever is on the phone is more important than your friend sitting at the table with you. If that weren't true, you wouldn't be allowing an interruption to your time together.

Cellphones are a tool and like any tool, can be used or misused. Most people don't seem to understand that. They're too busy doing 'it's all about me'.
Sweetone, Gerbs, Tafflyer and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
Some quiet zones would be good. But 90% quiet zones? No thanks! It’s a lounge...not a morgue!

Saying that Mr ‘’I’m so important everyone needs to hear my pedestrian conversations’ needs more than a Look of Disapproval.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Very surprised to see that this thread is about lounge behavior. When I clicked, I was sure others also just received their cell phone bills for December and marveled at the number of calls they made in a futile attempt to receive assistance from BA during the "snow" melt down. Dozens in my case.
juakkers likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
I would be very surprised if a quiet zone would make any difference. The vast majority of people who are causing the problem in the first place are too self important to observe their surroundings and read any notices asking them to behave in a particular way. That will probably result in those who believe they are in a quiet zone to get more annoyed when the peace is broken, and might result in more breaches of the peace in the long term.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.