Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR TO BKK - still old 777s?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:15 am

I was on an old 777 back from OAK this week and it was fine. 5K wasn't quite 64K on a 747 but it was close enough that, after a good dinner, I slept 7.5hrs solidly.

I don't really understand the consistent 8-across complaint/comparison. At most points on a reverse-herringbone layout, if you draw a straight line across the cabin, it intersects 8 people (or at least "8 personal spaces"). It's the same with BA. Just because legs are hidden in the cubby doesn't mean they aren't there.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
There are some great fares ex-AMS to BKK - more than happy to go on an older plane and still get the full flatbed at such a low price!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aardvarkdave
I don't really understand the consistent 8-across complaint/comparison.
The problem is that BA missed a trick. In (say) 12 ABDEFGJK the heads of those in seats A, E, F and K are all aligned, and the heads of those in B, D, G and J are aligned.

BA should have numbered these rows as 12AEFK and 13BDGJ. Those who cannot understand why the current CW layout cannot properly be described as 8-across would never be able to understand the trick that had been played on them, and so the complaints about 8-across would vanish.

No, sorry, actually that won't completely work. There will always be the contingent for whom BA doing it = bad, even if other airlines do the same thing for perfectly understandable and forgiveable reasons.
JAXBA and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ralph4878
I'd through EVA in there up near the top...BKK-LHR in J on them last month was pretty spectacular.
I hate the old, tired BA planes but would rather take a direct flight or connect in HEL/AMS/CDG/FRA and take a short intra-Europe flight at the end of a longer flight to Europe than stop midway in the Middle East. Yes, Qatar and Etihad and Emirates are all great, but the 6 hours + 6.5 hours gives me brutal sleep/jet lag issues as compared to a 10+1.
Anyone ever try Sri Lankan BKK-CMB-LHR? 3 hours + 10.5 hours in the air seems like a decent option, albeit slightly longer overall...
I'd love to give Eva (and Thai) J a try but I have never found a good price on them. Maybe they don't need to discount? My next 2 flights to BKK are AMS-LHR-BKK-LHR-AMS on BA in J for 1100 Euro each. I really don't want to go BA but the price is too good.

Last edited by capin; Jan 18, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by capin
I'd love to give Eva (and Thai) J a try but I have never found a good price on them. Maybe they don't need to discount? My next 2 flights to BKK are AMS-LHR-BKK-LHR-AMS on BA in J for 1100 Euro each. I really don't want to go BA but the price is too good.
For that price, BA is just fine .
We may cross paths as I'm doing BKK-LHR-AMS a few times coming up!
When I flew EVA was $2400 r/t but that included an outbound in their premium economy (which was really quite good, too).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Same here, I have an Easter trip to BKK booked out of AMS, at that price a 3 class 777 will do me just fine!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by peck
There are some great fares ex-AMS to BKK - more than happy to go on an older plane and still get the full flatbed at such a low price!
You can route those via Hong Kong or Singapore and get the A380 or newer 777 instead, as well as 80 - 120 extra TPs
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Many of us will be using UK travel insurance and all the policies I have seen state that the journey must start in the UK. Surely starting in AMS would cause a problem?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by DocS

Al Mourjan food & beverage options are dire.

Each to his own, but as far as food is concerned you won’t find a better lamb biriyani this side of Mumbai. I’ve even requested some be brought from Al Mourjan to Al Safwa when none was available in the latter lounge.

As for beverages I simply can’t fathom your ‘dire’ rating; not liking the lack of self-service is one thing, but I’ve never had an issue with beverage options. Better to order drinks yourself at the bar, rather than at your table via a waiter.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Stormbel
Many of us will be using UK travel insurance and all the policies I have seen state that the journey must start in the UK. Surely starting in AMS would cause a problem?
I think the key is starting from the UK. That the itinerary isn't all the same ticket shouldn't matter.

well, that's my totally uninformed opinion: but backed up by ]payout on an early return (sad news) on a ticket starting in Oslo.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Each to his own, but as far as food is concerned you won’t find a better lamb biriyani this side of Mumbai. I’ve even requested some be brought from Al Mourjan to Al Safwa when none was available in the latter lounge.
The difference in terms of food & beverage feels stark when compared to both CX & JAL lounges in BKK we visited this morning. Multiple different soft drink options, cocktails at the CX bar, barista coffee (including an excellent flat white). Chicken curry in JAL & dim sum/noodle bar in CX outshone the sad spread of a buffet upstairs today in Al Mourjan for us but absolutely appreciate YMMV. For me it’s the stark comparison with INCREDIBLE in flight catering and (alcoholic) drinks selection?

Last edited by DocS; Jan 22, 2018 at 4:00 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel
If you are a resident of the Netherlands then yes, it'll cause a problem. Otherwise, your journey *IS* starting from the UK as I assume you have to get to AMS in the first place in order to fly back.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
You can route those via Hong Kong or Singapore and get the A380 or newer 777 instead, as well as 80 - 120 extra TPs
Are you sure? I could only find HKG and KUL at a reasonable price.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by webstereo
Are you sure? I could only find HKG and KUL at a reasonable price.
SIN is definitely possible, although the SIN-BKK leg doesn't work terribly well (though conversely, AMS-LHR-BKK-SIN is a very cheap way of getting to SIN if you don't mind the old metal - and you can route SIN-LHR-AMS on the way back as normal, unless you want a day flight).

The BKK-SIN tends to be on the once-daily BKK-SIN CX flight which is an afternoon flight in both directions - not ideal for connecting to BA11/15.

I guess you must have found dates where there was no I-class availability LHR-SIN or vice versa.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
I have been looking at booking LHR BKK on BA via HKG mainly for a decent aircraft and secondly for the extra tier points I believe BKK KUL is non tier earnings in wtp btw

However I have tried looking for fares on BA multi city and not getting anywhere I don't particularly want to use an ota unless anyone can point me in the right direction

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.