Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't I book a flight to Havana by BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
Why can't I book a flight to Havana by BA

I am looking to go to HAV in November. Google flight tells me that its possible to fly GLA-LGW-MAD-HAV, but BA wont show me a fare. Iberia shows me a fare from LON-HAV only, and nothing when I add Glasgow to this. lastminute.com sells me all of the flights.

Do I have to phone BA for a fare, or is there a hack to do this? If I phone up and add one days hotel stay at the start and end of the holiday can I have it as a BA holiday and book it with a deposit and pay the balance before I travel?

I thank you in advance for your help.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Because BA doesn't fly to Havana.

Your only OW option: LGW/LHR-MAD-HAV, the long-haul component being Iberia. Direct from London it's only Virgin Atlantic that ticks the box.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Your only OW option: LGW/LHR-MAD-HAV, the long-haul component being Iberia. Direct from London it's only Virgin Atlantic that ticks the box.
You forgot the seasonal AY via HEL and the regular AA via MIA/CLT. IIRC AB had flights there too.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
You forgot the seasonal AY via HEL and the regular AA via MIA/CLT. IIRC AB had flights there too.
I was under the impression that it is actually quite hard to go to HAV ex USA, need a cleared reason? Hence many of the US carriers are actually reducing or ditching HAV from schedules. IB seems the way to go..not sure if it is still Airbus 340 plying the route though.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by nivsy
I was under the impression that it is actually quite hard to go to HAV ex USA, need a cleared reason? Hence many of the US carriers are actually reducing or ditching HAV from schedules. IB seems the way to go..not sure if it is still Airbus 340 plying the route though.
IIRC that applies to US citizens only. Americans can only travel to Cuba for 13 types of travel (tourism not being one of them). As far as I know most US carriers have vastly overestimated demand for US-Cuba routes when flights resumed in 2016 after 5 decades of no commercial flights between the two nations. Downsizing ops to Cuba is therefore a logical consequences.

You are however right that IB (or if AY is operating at OP's dates) is the way to go as it avoids transiting through the US. The last time I've been to Cuba, I had a flight to Panama and onwards from there.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:41 am

Niche route, though not all OW but mostly.

1. BA to GCM

2. GCM to HAV on Cayman Airways daily flight. Was popular with Americans until the relaxation. No TP, no lounge (unless you fly Sir Turtle Class), 45 mins in the air, free rum punch and 2 checked bags. With luck you’ll get the nice new 737-800 and not the ahem well used 737-300.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Another possible route is BA LGW to Cancun and then one of 2 daily flights to Havana with Interjet.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kaveh96
Iberia shows me a fare from LON-HAV only, and nothing when I add Glasgow to this. lastminute.com sells me all of the flights.
The Iberia site seems to be working fine if you put GLA as the from and HAV as the return it will show the options via LGW and MAD...I didn't go any further than selecting flights, seeing total price and being asked to log in to complete booking...was this where you hit a problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.