Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to become Silver or Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TPRun
There’s a group of us doing a TP run in August if you’re in need.
Remembering that PHL-PHX is over 2,000 miles, and CLT-PHX is under!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TPRun
So IIUC, if I have 1650 TPs by the end of August because of a trip I made, I’ll move in to gold until 8 Nov 2018, but I’ll go back down to 0 on 9 Nov 18. Then I have a few trips that’ll hit 1500 by March 2019, which will extend my Gold until. 8 Nov 2020...?
I think that's right. What I was concerned about from your original post was that you might be thinking that any TPs earned after you reach Gold in August 2018 will count for the renewal to November 2020. But you need to earn all of those 1500 TPs within the 2018/19 membership year, so not before 9 November 2018.
TPRun likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum
Jumping on this old thread rather than start a new one. I've just had my TP year reset (8th July) so back to 0 and hoping to see if I can get Silver this time, and looking for any tips on how to get Silver. I've seen discussions about how best value is <£1 per TP but not sure if that's realistic to be getting 600 TP for £600.

I'm based in EDI and travel to London normally 1/2 times a month with BA so I'll be getting both sectors and TP, however these would be economy bookings and not CE (booked via our company AMEX travel, so not sure of the fare bucket) and generally will get around a safe 150-200 TP from that (barring unexpected LH WTP ops!) On top of this I've currently got 56k avios so could use these to supplement any tickets if it'll get me TP.

No other travel currently scheduled at present, however looking at options around 13th - 20th Oct for Half term (Poss LH to USA) so can use this booking as an aid. I've seen

Appreciate it's quite a general q but hoping experts on here can offer some suggestions

Thanks!

ETA

Currently got 5 EDI-LON trips planned out between Aug - start of Oct, might get POUG on these but not 100%

Last edited by fudgeukraine; Jul 24, 2018 at 8:29 am Reason: Additional info
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
When I moved from CX to BA and had to quickly climb the ladder to Silver I did that essentially with:

- Upgrading to CE via BA app at checkin when offered at a reasonable price (£89 or below being reasonable for me);
- Booking a couple of smart CE trips, like LUX or channel islands;
- Splitting J long haul travel to double TP (e.g. flying to SIN via DOH rahter than direct).

Point one did the trick, the other two only accelerated Gold.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by fudgeukraine
Jumping on this old thread rather than start a new one. I've just had my TP year reset (8th July) so back to 0 and hoping to see if I can get Silver this time, and looking for any tips on how to get Silver. I've seen discussions about how best value is <£1 per TP but not sure if that's realistic to be getting 600 TP for £600.

I'm based in EDI and travel to London normally 1/2 times a month with BA so I'll be getting both sectors and TP, however these would be economy bookings and not CE (booked via our company AMEX travel, so not sure of the fare bucket) and generally will get around a safe 150-200 TP from that (barring unexpected LH WTP ops!) On top of this I've currently got 56k avios so could use these to supplement any tickets if it'll get me TP.

No other travel currently scheduled at present, however looking at options around 13th - 20th Oct for Half term (Poss LH to USA) so can use this booking as an aid. I've seen

Appreciate it's quite a general q but hoping experts on here can offer some suggestions

Thanks!

ETA

Currently got 5 EDI-LON trips planned out between Aug - start of Oct, might get POUG on these but not 100%
LHR, LCY or LGW? My Gold came from flying EDI-LGW in CE for not much more than ET by getting the early flight down and the late back up. £212 usually, whereas a late ET ticket can be well over £300. So even if these are booked by you travel agent you should check out the price of upgrading from inside MMB and clicking on “Upgrade my flights”. Is that a true POUG if you don’t get a targeted offer?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by JP Flyer

LHR, LCY or LGW? My Gold came from flying EDI-LGW in CE for not much more than ET by getting the early flight down and the late back up. £212 usually, whereas a late ET ticket can be well over £300. So even if these are booked by you travel agent you should check out the price of upgrading from inside MMB and clicking on “Upgrade my flights”. Is that a true POUG if you don’t get a targeted offer?
Generally I try to do LCY (Our office is near liverpool street so just easier for getting in; Not the biggest fan of the GEX & Victoria tube station at rush hour!), but I'll look into that; I know I've occasionally been offered POUGs so might try and push LHR/LGW more to see if this is an option.

I haven't really deep-dived into the POUGs; normally I just check the app and occasioally I get a * Upgrade offer but haven't gone into MMB much to see if it's always offered; not sure if the AMEX booking means it's not always offered.

How would I check what bucket fare I've been booked into? It seems that AMEX charges more than the web fare, presumably for flexibility, so not sure if that means I've been put into different buckets
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by fudgeukraine
Generally I try to do LCY (Our office is near liverpool street so just easier for getting in; Not the biggest fan of the GEX & Victoria tube station at rush hour!), but I'll look into that; I know I've occasionally been offered POUGs so might try and push LHR/LGW more to see if this is an option.
The revelation for me was discovering the Gatwick services from London Bridge. A lot of my travel last year was from Old Broad Street and I would make the 15 minute walk to London Bridge and get one of the many non-stop services to Gatwick, the quickest of which takes 29 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.