Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Online check-in mistakenly selected no baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

My wife has checked in and selected handluggage only by mistake. I'm presuming this can be sorted out at the airport without an additional charge, but can someone please confirm if this is correct.

Edit - checking in in Hong Kong.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Yes won't be a problem.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There shouldn’t be any issue with this.

Reminder to use the city check in in HKG if it makes sense to do so!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
this question in OLCI is really only important if you have HBO as if you say you have a bag it takes you to the screen to pay. No idea why it cannot be a bit more clever.
florens likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the quick and helpful responses.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
No idea why it cannot be a bit more clever.
It can be, particularly on ex-EU itineraries where you're checking in en route. A friend of mine last year selected 2 bags and FLY created the baggage record all the way through from the origin. He tried to check in the bags before the back to back at LHR, but FLY was keen to charge him at that point as it was showing as 4 bags!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
this question in OLCI is really only important if you have HBO as if you say you have a bag it takes you to the screen to pay. No idea why it cannot be a bit more clever.
Surely if someone chooses a number of bags greater than that which is included on non HBO fares, it will also take the person to the payment screen to get the baggage at the online rate
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: None
Just get there early if it's a international flight, at least 90 mins prior for bags
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by travelingchumley
Just get there early if it's a international flight, at least 90 mins prior for bags
Why do you say that? There's no particular need to do anything like that at HKG, especially for the BA flights given the time of day that they depart and the general efficiency of the check-in desks there.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Why do you say that? There's no particular need to do anything like that at HKG, especially for the BA flights given the time of day that they depart and the general efficiency of the check-in desks there.
Indeed. The passport process can be a bit of a queue if you can't use the e-gates (still only sub 10 minutes on the whole), and sometimes the BA flight is towards the end of the pier, But the limit is 60 minutes and 75 minutes is fine at HKG, it's one of the most efficient large airports I know. I would also recommend the Kowloon or HK check-in - any time on the day of travel - if you are using the Express train service, another part of the general efficiency of the whole set up.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I had the opposite experience yesterday where I selected 1 bag at oLCI, but then decided to carry it on board afterall so I skipped the desks and headed straight to security. That led to a ping at lounge entry where seemed to be checking if I'd somehow checked it in without the system recording it. Not sure what this actually achieves, but may be handy as my mental faculties decline.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG, Delta
My check in assigned me a seat...

And now it won't let me change it!!! I don't know why BA is doing this to me... I don't want the seat I'm in, and I'm not sure if it's just because WT+ is booked solid? I'm so confused.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, BostonFlyer22!
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer22
And now it won't let me change it!!! I don't know why BA is doing this to me... I don't want the seat I'm in, and I'm not sure if it's just because WT+ is booked solid?
Have you already printed or downloaded your boarding pass? Doing that prevents you from changing your seat thereafter. Many of us operate a rule of not printing or downloading a boarding pass so as to try to preserve the ability to change seats.

But there may also be other reasons why you can't change - if there are no other seats in the cabin to change to, then obviously that will prevent a seat change.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Just to conclude the thread, she successfully managed to check in with luggage at the in town check in place. Not sure she knew about this before this thread, so many thanks for pointing this out and all the other comments.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, BostonFlyer22!Have you already printed or downloaded your boarding pass? Doing that prevents you from changing your seat thereafter. Many of us operate a rule of not printing or downloading a boarding pass so as to try to preserve the ability to change seats.

But there may also be other reasons why you can't change - if there are no other seats in the cabin to change to, then obviously that will prevent a seat change.
I agree with all of the above and would also say though if you want to change seats after online checkin and having downloaded / printed / generated a boarding pass, this can be done at the airport (obviously subject to there being an available seat to move to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.