FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Online check-in mistakenly selected no baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1888159-online-check-mistakenly-selected-no-baggage.html)

TheBigBean Jan 13, 2018 11:20 am

Online check-in mistakenly selected no baggage

My wife has checked in and selected handluggage only by mistake. I'm presuming this can be sorted out at the airport without an additional charge, but can someone please confirm if this is correct.

Edit - checking in in Hong Kong.

Worcester Jan 13, 2018 11:32 am

Yes won't be a problem.

omarr135 Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am

There shouldn’t be any issue with this.

Reminder to use the city check in in HKG if it makes sense to do so!

scottishpoet Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am

this question in OLCI is really only important if you have HBO as if you say you have a bag it takes you to the screen to pay. No idea why it cannot be a bit more clever.

TheBigBean Jan 13, 2018 11:47 am

Many thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

Beaulieu Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 29288436)
No idea why it cannot be a bit more clever.

It can be, particularly on ex-EU itineraries where you're checking in en route. A friend of mine last year selected 2 bags and FLY created the baggage record all the way through from the origin. He tried to check in the bags before the back to back at LHR, but FLY was keen to charge him at that point as it was showing as 4 bags!

Dave Noble Jan 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet (Post 29288436)
this question in OLCI is really only important if you have HBO as if you say you have a bag it takes you to the screen to pay. No idea why it cannot be a bit more clever.

Surely if someone chooses a number of bags greater than that which is included on non HBO fares, it will also take the person to the payment screen to get the baggage at the online rate

travelingchumley Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Just get there early if it's a international flight, at least 90 mins prior for bags

Globaliser Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by travelingchumley (Post 29288750)
Just get there early if it's a international flight, at least 90 mins prior for bags

Why do you say that? There's no particular need to do anything like that at HKG, especially for the BA flights given the time of day that they depart and the general efficiency of the check-in desks there.

corporate-wage-slave Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29288848)
Why do you say that? There's no particular need to do anything like that at HKG, especially for the BA flights given the time of day that they depart and the general efficiency of the check-in desks there.

Indeed. The passport process can be a bit of a queue if you can't use the e-gates (still only sub 10 minutes on the whole), and sometimes the BA flight is towards the end of the pier, But the limit is 60 minutes and 75 minutes is fine at HKG, it's one of the most efficient large airports I know. I would also recommend the Kowloon or HK check-in - any time on the day of travel - if you are using the Express train service, another part of the general efficiency of the whole set up.

EsherFlyer Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm

I had the opposite experience yesterday where I selected 1 bag at oLCI, but then decided to carry it on board afterall so I skipped the desks and headed straight to security. That led to a ping at lounge entry where seemed to be checking if I'd somehow checked it in without the system recording it:confused:. Not sure what this actually achieves, but may be handy as my mental faculties decline.

BostonFlyer22 Jan 13, 2018 4:20 pm

My check in assigned me a seat...

And now it won't let me change it!!! I don't know why BA is doing this to me... I don't want the seat I'm in, and I'm not sure if it's just because WT+ is booked solid? I'm so confused.

Globaliser Jan 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Welcome to FT, BostonFlyer22!

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer22 (Post 29289373)
And now it won't let me change it!!! I don't know why BA is doing this to me... I don't want the seat I'm in, and I'm not sure if it's just because WT+ is booked solid?

Have you already printed or downloaded your boarding pass? Doing that prevents you from changing your seat thereafter. Many of us operate a rule of not printing or downloading a boarding pass so as to try to preserve the ability to change seats.

But there may also be other reasons why you can't change - if there are no other seats in the cabin to change to, then obviously that will prevent a seat change.

TheBigBean Jan 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Just to conclude the thread, she successfully managed to check in with luggage at the in town check in place. Not sure she knew about this before this thread, so many thanks for pointing this out and all the other comments.

IAMORGAN Jan 14, 2018 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29289515)
Welcome to FT, BostonFlyer22!Have you already printed or downloaded your boarding pass? Doing that prevents you from changing your seat thereafter. Many of us operate a rule of not printing or downloading a boarding pass so as to try to preserve the ability to change seats.

But there may also be other reasons why you can't change - if there are no other seats in the cabin to change to, then obviously that will prevent a seat change.

I agree with all of the above and would also say though if you want to change seats after online checkin and having downloaded / printed / generated a boarding pass, this can be done at the airport (obviously subject to there being an available seat to move to).